The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Tanking" our best option?

KingAlex

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those who think we are more than a bubble team currently.

Sorry that isn't true. We are obviously going to be better than last year, but not by as much as most would think. All of last years playoff teams have basically gotten better. The bubble teams improved as well. The perennial losers got better and also have a solid group of prospects hungry to play and win ready to enter the league.

For those who think we will tank, you REALLY need to stop. I desire this team to fall out of the playoffs this year if only to further shed the dead weight and players who do not want to be here anymore while giving our prospects one more valuable year of development while also gaining more in the proverbial prospect bin.

But we will NEVER tank intentionally so please stop.

The truth is indeed that Benning doesn't care if we finish in the middle so long as we try. So be it. I would have rather avoided fighting our way to mediocrity but it's the way this team is going this year. Without vastly over achieving we will most likely not make the playoffs. That is a purely unbiased hockey opinion based on what has happened in the off season with every other team in the west, our new coach and system (again 3 in 3 years) new players who will have to learn chemistry with each other and of course potentially having rookies finally enter the system.

We will contend and we will play and that's all we can ask and hope for. Even Calgary sucking hard last year put on a good show every single game. I hope for no less this year from the Canucks

BUT!

Knowing that we have a new coach and system, new players, huge expectations and pressure as well as rookies to integrate. One or two long term injuries in our core like last year (ie; Burrows, Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Bonino) and a prolonged slide could very quickly and easily see us losing ground and picking in the top 10 due to this hyper competitive Pacific division and Western Conference.

So while tanking is NOT going to happen, the outside chance of a solid top 10 pick in this upcoming draft is not out of the question either. As well Benning knows his assets and will have a much better idea moving forward around the trade deadline who should be made available for trade so prepare for the possibility of having multiple picks in the first 3 rounds again and a prospect pool we can be really excited about moving forward

The Canucks are obviously being built "on the run". They will do well enough to keep fans interested enough this season to keep butts in the seats, but I highly doubt that they will they end up in the bottom 6 again. They're either going to squeak into the playoffs or just miss them by a small margin.

And also the fact that this team isn't going to actually ever tank, and aren't bad enough to finish bottom 10 this year.

Did Buffalo tank this year? Edmonton? Do we have an example of a team that has tanked in the NHL?

Vrbata > Burr on the top line

Miller>Lack

Bonino only had 3 less goals than Kesler

New coach

better 3rd and 4th lines.

This team is a lot better than last year

Maybe, but it wouldn't be without the FA signings, which wouldn't have happened, had the decision to "tank" been made.

That being the case, there would be no reason to lose on purpose. It would happen no matter what.

Did Buffalo tank this year? Edmonton? Do we have an example of a team that has tanked in the NHL?

It's difficult for an actual team to collectively tank all at once because the players will take a hit to the pocketbook in a future contract if they willingly do their worst.

The only way that teams purposely tank now is if the front office does it. If the front office is full of incompetents, and they make crappy decisions because of it, then they aren't tanking. The team(s) are just in pis$ poor shape and need new top people.

If the front office is considered competent, and the team is still being inexplicably blown up, with no real plan in place, then you have tanking....

Never tank. Ever. It ruins the game. Plus, from a GM standpoint, deep drafts are usually the year you want to do well. Because you're still likely to get a quality prospect late in the draft. Look at Hunter Shinkaruk dropping to 24 because of how deep the draft is. He could have, and probably would have been a top 10 pick in this years draft. Yes I understand that people will want to try and get a high end prospect, but still, I say no tank, and take the actual pick you're meant to have. If the draft is really as deep as they say, we should be able to get a good pick

We have Horvat,Shinkaruk,Mcann,Virtanen.Four of the type of player that may translate into playoff performers that have enough skill that chances are in their favour.That isn't really anything significant over any other team in the league.Our key players are 30+.We are three or four years from being in a abyss we may take a decade to climb out of.We have an oppurtunity to add some top end players over the next two drafts to solidify the future.Adding two superstars to our prospects would be huge and give us a top six that's very formidable as it is backed up by some very good two way players.It needs the star power up front.People can kid themselves all they want with the this is Vancouver we won't tolerate a rebuild talk but they can talk all that to the bottom of the league for ten years.If Vancouver wants to get back on top they need to build on that new core as much as they possibly can.

But we have got to be the luckiest team in the NHL's history to win. "Vancouver the underdog and declining team from 2011 steals the cup from possibly the strongest western conference ever" I just can't imagine that. Why not lose now so we can win the cup later?

Because in sports, just like anything in life, you might get better and learn things through loss, but you never get better by losing on purpose....

It's difficult for an actual team to collectively tank all at once because the players will take a hit to the pocketbook in a future contract if they willingly do their worst.

The only way that teams purposely tank now is if the front office does it. If the front office is full of incompetents, and they make crappy decisions because of it, then they aren't tanking. The team(s) are just in pis$ poor shape and need new top people.

If the front office is considered competent, and the team is still being inexplicably blown up, with no real plan in place, then you have tanking....

So trading older players for prospects in the middle of a season where there is very little hope of even making the playoffs is tanking or managing the future?

So trading older players for prospects in the middle of a season where there is very little hope of even making the playoffs is tanking or managing the future?

I'm obviously going to say managing the future, since that is what the Sabres are doing. Other people believe that both teams are purposely tanking.

NOT an option. You're proposing we behave like we're the Leafs, Flames or Coil.

Ya, and the Leafs have been tanking for how long??... and how has that worked out for them???...lol@theleafs

I'm obviously going to say managing the future, since that is what the Sabres are doing. Other people believe that both teams are purposely tanking.

I would suggest that it is impossible to know for sure what is in the mind of management. I think that what people call tanking is really focusing on the future at the cost of the present. The more the balance between now and later tilts towards later, the more a team is thought of tanking.

Archived