The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In your opinion what's this team missing from being contenders again?

Outsiders

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bonino was the ducks 4th line center. I think everyone on CDC is over rating him!! The center piece of the Kesler deal was McCann!!!!!

Bonino (4th line center) got 20points playing on the PP (Anaheim's version of Anson Carter). Had one lucky year playing with 2 Olympians on the power play and I love how everyone says he better then Kes.

Gp G. A. Pts Pim

2011-12 Anaheim Ducks. 50 5 13 18 8

2012-13 Anaheim Ducks 27 5 8 13 8

2013-14 Anaheim Ducks 77 22 27 49 22

Sbisa (7th defensemen) - lost his job due to all the injuries and was heathy scratched for playoffs. Played in only 30 regular season games and dressed for only 2 out of 13 playoff games.

We still have a major hole to fill in 2nd line center.... It's Bo's job to lose.

As of now

Daniel - Hank - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Kassian

Burrows - Bonino - Vey

Dorset - Richardson - Mathais / Hansen / Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieska

Edler - Tanev

Sibsa - Corado

Stanton

Miller

Lack

Top six forward and a puck moving defenceman

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

_____ - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat/Vey - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - _____

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller

Lack

Completely agree with this assessment. Evander Kane anyone?

No secret he wants out. Big, strong, fast, young goal scorer from Vancouver. Would fit well with our current core and even better with up and coming players like Horvat, Virtanen, Shink, McCann, ect.

I'm a huge Burrows fan, but the only way I see it possible is if we trade Burrows as part of the package as we will need to shed cap and Jets will need an instant replacement in the top 6 left wing position.

Van Trades:

Burrows OR Hansen and/or Richardson (Jets need bottom 6 centers)

Markstrom (Winnipeg needs goaltending)

Prospect, Jensen OR Gaunce (Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Demko are untouchable IMO)

2015 second rounder

Winnipeg Trades:

Evander Kane

Dank Hank Vrbata

Kane Bonino Kassian

Higgins Horvat Vey

Matthais Richardson Dorsett

Bonino was the ducks 4th line center. I think everyone on CDC is over rating him!! The center piece of the Kesler deal was McCann!!!!!

Bonino (4th line center) got majority of his points playing on the PP (Anaheim's version of Anson Carter)

Sbisa (7th defensemen) - lost his job due to all the injuries and was heathy scratched for playoffs. Played only 30 regular season games and dressed for only 2 out of 13 playoff games.

Trade Burrows, Markstorm and 2nd for Evander Kane. I think that's more then fair considering what we got for Kesler and what Ottawa got for Spezza.

We still have a major hole to fill in 2nd line center.... It's Bo's job to lose

Where do you think majority of Keslers goals came from last year? You guessed it, the power play.

Bonino scored more points than Kesler, is only 26, and comes at a 1.9 mill cap for more years than Keslers 5 mill. He played mostly second or third line minutes, not 4th line. He also played way less minutes on ice per game than Kesler and still beat his point totals. Kesler is also a stubbed toe away from his best years being behind him.

Please explain to me how that was a bad deal for us? Never mind all the drama we shed when we shipped out Kesler, which is possibly the biggest win of all. Guy was locker room cancer from the sounds of it.

Plus we got McCann who plays like a young Ryan Kesler and Sbisa who you are severely undervaluing. He's not a D-man who's going to put up 50 points a year, he's a physical stay at home guy who the Canucks desperately needed.

Benning won that trade for sure.

Other than that, I agree with your trade for Evander Kane.

Where do you think majority of Keslers goals came from last year? You guessed it, the power play.

Bonino scored more points than Kesler, is only 26, and comes at a 1.9 mill cap for more years than Keslers 5 mill. He played mostly second or third line minutes, not 4th line. He also played way less minutes on ice per game than Kesler and still beat his point totals. Kesler is also a stubbed toe away from his best years being behind him.

Please explain to me how that was a bad deal for us? Never mind all the drama we shed when we shipped out Kesler, which is possibly the biggest win of all. Guy was locker room cancer from the sounds of it.

Plus we got McCann who plays like a young Ryan Kesler and Sbisa who you are severely undervaluing. He's not a D-man who's going to put up 50 points a year, he's a physical stay at home guy who the Canucks desperately needed.

Benning won that trade for sure.

Other than that, I agree with your trade for Evander Kane.

2011-12 Anaheim Ducks NHL 50 5 13 18

2012-13 Anaheim Ducks NHL 27 5 8 13

2013-14 Anaheim Ducks NHL 77 22 27 49

He had one decent year. You forgot to mention he scored a combined total of 10 goals and 21 points the 2 years before that. He got to play with 2 Olympians in a Olympic year where everyone was fighting for job on team Canada.

I'm not saying we lost the trade, I'm just saying Bonino is NOT a 2 line center.

An elite/franchise player or two.

Hi, i'd like to introduce you too Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Also, please meet Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen.

Rattles me when canuck "fans" are so oblivious to how lucky we are to have the Sedins. One semi bad year and ppl like you lose faith.

Go cheer for Toronto.

2011-12 Anaheim Ducks NHL 50 5 13 18

2012-13 Anaheim Ducks NHL 27 5 8 13

2013-14 Anaheim Ducks NHL 77 22 27 49

He had one decent year. You forgot to mention he scored a combined total of 10 goals and 21 points the 2 years before that. He got to play with 2 Olympians in a Olympic year where everyone was fighting for job on team Canada.

I'm not saying we lost the trade, I'm just saying Bonino is NOT a 2 line center.

Disagree, but I guess time will tell. Also, I don't consider 13 points in 27 games a "bad season". Also I thought you said he was a 4th liner on the Ducks? Now he's playing with Olympians? I know he played the odd top line minutes, but not a ton. But that goes to show he's a good player if a team as deep as Anaheim is playing him on the top line wing.

My point is, the guy was shuffled throughout the lines which arguable makes it even tougher to score as you don't have the opportunity to find chemistry with line mates. Plus, I think Bonino is a very clutch player and a good two way center. I have high hopes.

I think it was the coaches fault last year for the sedins not performing to the top of their game they should let the sedins focus on offense more then defense 2 and 3 years ago the sedins were Art Ross Trophy winners we can't rule them out yet burrows was in his prime then and he still may have a lot left in the tank yet. Need these players to stay healthy and start producing again. with Vrbata in he may be able to help them perform again not push them so hard they start getting injuries and blocking shots. Tortorella was the worse thing to happen to this team in the last 6 years. I never liked him as a coach or a person and I didn't like it from the start when they hired him as coach last year.

2nd LW is all this team has ever needed. Since Naslund left we've had Dimitra, a bunch of fringe prospects and Booth. None have ever panned out. I feel GMJB missed out not trying to pick up Heatley. He may be already past his prim but I believe he just needed a change. I gurantee he will put up 35+g this year. I know we have Hunter in the wings but he should be in the minors this year. Which hopefully he stil is to develope more.

Franchise center or franchise defenseman. Preferably both.

Two top-4 shutdown defensemen.

One top-4 pmd.

One 200lb+ top-6 utility centerman. Preferably more.

One great scoring forward or elite power forward. Preferably more.

One goaltender capable of 50 or so good games in a season.

A backup goaltender capable of 30 or so good games in a season.

A whole slew of 200lb+ NHL-worthy wingers, centers and defensemen.

Not sure what we do or do not have in this list, but it's a start.

I don't believe he's the answer, but I didn't want to make a thread for this question and thought that this would be the best place to ask. What are everyones thoughts on Mike Ribeiro? With all the controversey surrounding him recently, he could probably be had for cheap/short term. It would seem low risk high reward although we would have to get rid of one of the centers currently on our roster.

Upfront we need another top six scoring forward...but if Burrows bounces back as many expect and provides 20-25 goals and if Kassian continues to develop and provide 20-22 goals, we're going to be okay.

Secondary need upfront is a right handed centreman. We have a lot of really solid LHC, but Vey is our only RHC with a legit shot at making the team, and I think he may even be considered to platoon on RW and take draws when necessary.

On the back end, we need two things...the first is a puck moving d-man/PP QB; and a bruiser or two in the no. 5 and no. 6 slot who can make life miserable for any forward entering the slot and the front of our net.

My guess is that this is the type of back end that we're going to have in 2-4 years time as a players like Ben Hutton and Nikita Tryamkin matures and develops into such players (hopefully). Until then, I'd love for us to go after Johnny Boychuk and a guy like Mark Fraser (who's like a poor man's John Erskine).

Naslund and Bertuzzi were elite once too...then after a few years, they weren't. A player's turn at the top of the heap doesn't last all that long. 2011 is over.

1 injury ridden year does not equate the drop in talent you are insinuating. They have peaked yes, but they are far from 2nd liners.

What do you think we're missing to be a contender again? on paper we look something like this, as of now assuming Mr. Benning is done with trades and signings.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthais-Richardson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Miller

Lack

That poll is massively skewed.

This team needs a 1-2 punch down the middle and I don't believe Bonino is the answer. He might be, but MARLEAU/ THORNTON, KOPITAR/ CARTER, GETZLAF/ KESLER are going to be a boat load to compete against.

Also, a 1D. There are five top 1Ds in the league I would have on this team that would pretty much insure a Cup that are untradable, and about ten emerging Ds with 1D potential but also untradable so it'll have to be through the draft.

1Cb and a 1TD

Archived