The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

We respected what he did for the team, but at the end of the day, we are fans of team and there are logical points as to why management should consider moving him.

-bad reputation with the referees

-is not getting any younger and his style of play usually usually declines through age

-costs $4.5 million

-there are younger, cheaper guys coming up that could take his position

If he stays, that's great. He's still a fan favourite and many of us have his jersey. However, there are benefits to trading him. We aren't the pure antagonists you're making us out to be. We form our opinions on realistic expectations.

Do you call realistic expectation wanting to trade a player because after missing practically a whole season as a result serious injury he did not get back onto the ice and score at the level he did the previous year?

Your suggestion he has a bad rep with the refs is lame. It has nothing to do with his skill and while he was playing at a higher level it was not an issue, so why is it now? You have got to get better than that to suggest it a prime reason for trade.

Now we all heard management say Burr was likely to play on the 2nd line. We played Kesler more than that to play on that line so what is the problem with paying a player 4.2M to play on the same line? I am not trying to compare, but it has been frequently suggested you don't pay a bottom six player that amount of money. Again you grasp at straws. It has only been members of CDC that have suggested he be played in the bottom six, not management. If you do trade him, where are you going to utilize the assets you get for him? Are they not going to conflict with the possible insert of a good young prospect waiting to get his chance? Getting a draft pick for Burrows. ...meh, maybe a real late one.

Yes Burrows is getting older I admit however, he is certainly not over the hill but still in his prime. Come on! If he scores 20 goals this year, that reason look silly.

Your final point has some merit. If Management decides to fit in a rookie or two, they need to make room, however, I do not believe it will be Burrows. I believe it will be Hansen, or less possible, maybe Higgins. Higgins is much more of a digger than Hansen, is a better fore checker for the PK and always chips in goals, so more likely Hansen. On the other side of the coin, do we have a prospect that is ready. We will not know that until camp. All the more reason to hold onto the players we have. Remember, our top prospects like Horvat are pretty young. You might suggest Gaunce or Jensen. If you do can you honestly say either of them is as good as a healthy Burrows?

Like you and many others, I really want to see some youth on our team. I was disappointed to see Hodgson go because he never got a fair shake here. However, I also believe one has to first determine how Burrows responds this year. I do believe he will show us what he is really made of this season. Barring that, I am with you about considerations to trade him. As much as I like Burrows, I realize it is now up to him but he needs to be given that chance

His performance will dictate trade or not, not the rationale you suggested.

"if Burrows deserves to be on the second line"

"I'm all for giving Burrows the chance to earn his second line duties"

But you don't want him earning his first line role back?

If he is scoring on the first line, he can play in the mayor's chair. Why can't he earn his way back onto the first line? BS.

If he earns it, he gets it. That is how it's done my friend. No position is etched in stone, especially with Linden, Benning and especially Willie. It is all earn, earn, earn. Who knows, even Lord Zack might be relegated to the bottom six because he didn't earn it. Now wouldn't that piddle a lot of people off who believe a top six position is his right. The jury is still out on him right now as well. Any coasting like he did last year and he will coast right out into the parking lot. Kassian is by no means a shoe in with his inconsistent tendencies.

Hopefully, Burr will have a better year than last year, but come the trade deadline if we are not even close of making the playoffs, than I would try to trade him. If we do have a chnce of making the playoffs than I would keep him. He seems to come on in the playoffs,

Hopefully, Burr will have a better year than last year, but come the trade deadline if we are not even close of making the playoffs, than I would try to trade him. If we do have a chnce of making the playoffs than I would keep him. He seems to come on in the playoffs,

That is really all I am saying. I consider last year a disaster, due to his injuries, the crappy coaching etc. the whole team went for a dump and good players just don't have slumps all at the same time. There were certainly mitigating factors to last years disaster. Well they believe they cleaned up a lot of the problems and now they are determined to right the train back on the track. Burrows is and needs to be part of that process. Training camp will surely have some surprises for us.

I still believe Benning is not done yet

:picard:

I'm going to remember this thread and return in December. For the teams sake, I hope the sentimental crowd is right, and I can come back here and admit that I was woefully wrong about Burrows.

And so will I admit I was wrong. I just want to give him a chance at his own destiny. I just don't believe you have to dig a second well if there is still fresh water in the first one. ;)

:picard:

I'm going to remember this thread and return in December. For the teams sake, I hope the sentimental crowd is right, and I can come back here and admit that I was woefully wrong about Burrows.

would it make a difference? even if that happen people like you will just find another players to pick on for some ridiculous reason. The main problem is not who's right or wrong, but the reasoning behind why people are picking on Burrows right now.

It's like a STD (no pun intend), fans like that will NEVER stop chasing our players out of town.

first, no, you won't eat your shirt if he score 25 goals this year. Your replies on this topic is as ridiculous as this statement. Seems like grossly exaggerate you type is what you do.

second, Burrows did NOT get gift wrapped points from the Sedins. It really hurts my brain that there are still idiots here thinking Burrows is just another Anson carter. Did he get benefit from playing with the Sedins? yes of course! but hte same thing can apply the the Sedins and they benefit a lot from playing with Burrows too. Just how many times did we try a new linemate with them but fail to click? I swear, do you suffer from some sort of memory lost or something?

It's funny how someone without common sense is telling others their action is base on common sense huh?

Okay there papayas simmer down,

Look at his points without the Sedins, I mean they are right there for you, check it out. He does not get a lot of points without them no matter what you want to believe.

They have defintiely shown some chemistry but that is still not a reason to put a third/second liner on the first line in my opinion. The idea behind hockey is too ice the best line-up possible. You also have to remember Burrows is the best of a horrible group of players that the Sedins have played with. I really have a hard time believing that a better player would have topped out at 67 and 52 points playing with what were two of the top 10 players in the league at that time.

While I don't want to devalue what Burrows has contributed I don't put him in the perennial 30 goal club like you guys do. But I digress I will play the fool if you want and yes Burrows will score 30 this year. He is 100% without question the answer.

Burrows is a super player.

Think of it from another teams' POV as a trade deadline pick-up. Veteran/playoff experienced. Solid 2-way play. Top PK ability. Just under .5 PPG in the playoffs.....

He's the kind of player to put some teams over the top for a playoff push.

Unfortunately his fate probably depends on this team's place in the standings more than his performance. Same with Higgins and Hansen.

Okay there papayas simmer down,

Look at his points without the Sedins, I mean they are right there for you, check it out. He does not get a lot of points without them no matter what you want to believe.

They have defintiely shown some chemistry but that is still not a reason to put a third/second liner on the first line in my opinion. The idea behind hockey is too ice the best line-up possible. You also have to remember Burrows is the best of a horrible group of players that the Sedins have played with. I really have a hard time believing that a better player would have topped out at 67 and 52 points playing with what we're two of the top 10 players in the league at that time.

While I don't want to devalue what Burrows has contributed I don't put him in the perennial 30 goal club like you guys do. But I digress I will fool if you want and yes Burrows will score 30 this year. He is 100% without question the answer.

All you are really saying it is a crap shoot with Burrows. Life is a crap shoot as well. If Vrbata cannot find his game with Hank and Dank we are all wrong. That is a crap shoot as well.

My only point is please no knee jerking until they see what they have and then decide. This is not about sentimentalism it is about looking at options first and reacting in a practical way.

Burrows is a super player.

Think of it from another teams' POV as a trade deadline pick-up. Veteran/playoff experienced. Solid 2-way play. Top PK ability. Just under .5 PPG in the playoffs.....

He's the kind of player to put some teams over the top for a playoff push.

Unfortunately his fate probably depends on this team's place in the standings more than his performance. Same with Higgins and Hansen.

There is not a team out there that would not take him in a heart beat. If he is that valuable, he is definitely worth giving another shot to prove himself.

would it make a difference? even if that happen people like you will just find another players to pick on for some ridiculous reason. The main problem is not who's right or wrong, but the reasoning behind why people are picking on Burrows right now.

It's like a STD (no pun intend), fans like that will NEVER stop chasing our players out of town.

HA! Awesome analogy! And for the record, I don't dislike Burrows and would be glad to keep him as a bottom 6 forward if his cap hit reflected that role. However it doesn't, and with the log jam of bottom 6 players, that would suggest he gets moved. Also, you're right, people are going to either put Burrows on a pedestal or attempt to crucify him. Not everyone is going to have a valid argument, but they are all entitled to their opinion. The issue is winning teams don't glorify 3rd/4th liners and give them top 6 minutes for sentimental reasons. Yes, he scored some big goals and provided extraordinary boost to this team in the PAST... But that's just it, it's the PAST! He's aging, doesn't have high end skill, and is overpaid. If he is the best fit for the 1st/2nd line, this team has major depth issues on the wing.

^^^

Don't you guys think at least he deserves a chance to play under the new coach???

Perhaps Burrows thinks that as well.

The thing is is that it is a business - there is no "deserve". If the club is better without a certain player, then they should move him (speaking generally). As a fan I'd rather see the team being as successful as possible than watch someone taking up a roster spot based on sentimentality.

There is not a team out there that would not take him in a heart beat. If he is that valuable, he is definitely worth giving another shot to prove himself.

I wonder how true that is. Some teams might not want the baggage (real or not) he brings with the past officiating issues. Some might say he was only successful when playing with the Sedins.

Watch this. And remember who you're talking about.

Burrows is our heart-and-soul player. He has the clutch ability other teams pray to have. One injury filled season does not change that. You can't replace a player like Burrows very easily. His ability to perform when it matters most is impeccable. He's willing to shed blood and tears if the team benefits from it. I've been following Burrows since he was a 3rd line grinder and even then, he had the ability to turn games around by himself. He's a leader, and an inspiration for the rest of the team to play as well as he does.

I want the critics to stop saying trade Burrows. It would be the worst decision our management could make if he is moved. I see Burrows rebounding HARD next season.

Just because of the video you selected to prove your point, its clear your "one of them" who Torts reffered to 'Living in 2011'

Time to stop living in the past. Granted Burrows slumps was one of the worst ever seen, it may be him declining. Time will tell. I say trade him.

When you've been asked to be traded, don't say no and stay there. It's better for all parties to move on.

I wonder how true that is. Some teams might not want the baggage (real or not) he brings with the past officiating issues. Some might say he was only successful when playing with the Sedins.

So when do you suggest he be traded now or later. I read a bit of hesitation in your comment as well so you have reservations too.

So you rather see a prospect who isn't ready for the NHL over a player that is in the NHL and isn't out of place.

To say Burrows is useless is a complete stretch. He can play PP and PK. Burrows can also score at the NHL level, even though he had a bad season last year. If Burrows wants to be traded than trade him, but for now he should remain a Canuck.

Did you NOT SEE. I said the prospects might not be ready....

Archived