The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

8 pages into this thread and all the other trade Burrows threads, and nobody has posted a link of Benning or Linden saying they tried to trade him.

I haven't heard of anyone really saying they had. Maybe I missed that though. Besides, even if they had tried, and nothing came of it, why would they make that public? Generally, failed trade discussion are and should be kept between GMs (for a lot of reasons).

8 pages into this thread and all the other trade Burrows threads, and nobody has posted a link of Benning or Linden saying they tried to trade him.

Nor will you. That isn't the kind of thing a GM will normally divulge.

However, it seems to come from a fairly reputable source, so take it FWIW.

These rumors were posted on draft day infact numerous users re posted and turned into into a discussion thread. I believe it was not "Burrows refuses to waive NTC" and other members followed up with other rumors of how he refused to be traded, then another source said that it was New Jersey and Vancouver had a trade in place for him.

that said.. he's here to stay, I will support him.

It's funny how many people talk about trading Burr and...... Mostly due to his performance this past season after an injury proned year. And to those saying don't live in the past, and forget what he has done for us in the past. Instead of jumping off the bandwagon show a little loyalty to Burr he's earned it. Burr I'm sure will be ready and healthy for the start of the season. I'm sure he wants to give a 110% this coming season after his lack lusture injury proned performance. I for one am looking forward to puck drop. I'm really happy with our new management team, JB has impressed us all this off season during our draft but to add scoring with verbata who plays similer to the Sedins type of play then after the Gillis goaltending drama and JB brings in a #1 goalie veteran in like Ryan Miller can you say "WOW" I for one looking forward to puck drop. Burr will feel and play much better as a second line winger just my thoughts. I'm pretty sure every Canuck on the roster after their team preformace was poor last year wanna come in prove to everyone and themselves that they are still a playoff team. It's gonna be a long 3 months for me no canuck hockey on TV don't watch TV unless hockey is on.

GO CANUCKS GOoooooo! :towel:

It's funny how many people talk about trading Burr and...... Mostly due to his performance this past season after an injury proned year. And to those saying don't live in the past, and forget what he has done for us in the past. Instead of jumping off the bandwagon show a little loyalty to Burr he's earned it. Burr I'm sure will be ready and healthy for the start of the season. I'm sure he wants to give a 110% this coming season after his lack lusture injury proned performance. I for one am looking forward to puck drop. I'm really happy with our new management team, JB has impressed us all this off season during our draft but to add scoring with verbata who plays similer to the Sedins type of play then after the Gillis goaltending drama and JB brings in a #1 goalie veteran in like Ryan Miller can you say "WOW" I for one looking forward to puck drop. Burr will feel and play much better as a second line winger just my thoughts. I'm pretty sure every Canuck on the roster after their team preformace was poor last year wanna come in prove to everyone and themselves that they are still a playoff team. It's gonna be a long 3 months for me no canuck hockey on TV don't watch TV unless hockey is on.

GO CANUCKS GOoooooo! :towel:

I don't think most people here who favour dealing Burrows, are saying that because of last season alone.

Burrows has been really good for us, and had a lot of bad luck, like his injuries and playing for Torts. No reasonable person would hold that against him.

That being said, he is 33 likely past his prime, has a bad contract, has a bad rep throughout the league, and the Canucks are looking to get younger. What he did in the past is great, but what about the future? Eventually the Canucks need to make room for some new blood, and that means some vets have to step aside, no matter how much it sucks seeing them go.

Burrows is a very good player, but if a decent package gets offered to Benning that helps set us up a couple of years down the road, how can he not take it? But yeah, Burrows might not waive, which is his right, and this all becomes moot. But I hope for the good of the team he does.

The team comes first, not individual players.

Watch this. And remember who you're talking about.

Burrows is our heart-and-soul player. He has the clutch ability other teams pray to have. One injury filled season does not change that. You can't replace a player like Burrows very easily. His ability to perform when it matters most is impeccable. He's willing to shed blood and tears if the team benefits from it. I've been following Burrows since he was a 3rd line grinder and even then, he had the ability to turn games around by himself. He's a leader, and an inspiration for the rest of the team to play as well as he does.

I want the critics to stop saying trade Burrows. It would be the worst decision our management could make if he is moved. I see Burrows rebounding HARD next season.

yes you can actually.

Sedins however no

1.) The whole Burrows and Stéphane Auger thing that went on and got him blacklisted by every referee in the game. He's a power play waiting to happen for the other team, a dark cloud that we don't need. I lost count how many times he took us off the power play or cost us a goal against.

Yeah I know he's scored big goals for us, none bigger then the "slay the dragon goal" but u notice how no one ever talks about the penalty he took just minutes before that. Nobody ever talks about the Luongo save on Patrick Sharp back door. The refs were ready give the game to the Hawks and make Burrows look like an idiot. They called a chincy holding penalty on him just 24 SECONDS into a GAME 7 OVERTIME!!!! There was only 3 other penalties called in TOTAL ALL GAME!!!! That just shows u how much the officials hate Bur.

2.) Benning watched Bur bite Bergeron's finger in the Stanley cup FINALS!, the game doesn't need any of that BS and especially in the finals. Benning wants meat and potatoes kind of guys not little classless bitches. Benning served many years in Boston and weather he will admit it or not, I can guarantee he just doesn't like him as a player and/or as a person..

3.) He makes 6 million dollars this year!! I know his cap hit is 4.5 but come on, he is no where close to that. Riding the twins coat tails all these years he should be happy and just move on. Higgins is better and works harder then him and I think higgy wil be on the second line. That means we got a 6 mill 3rd liner!!! Say what u want about Torts but even he wanted MG to buy him out last year.

We gotta move Burrows and free up space for one of kids to crack the lineup, otherwise there's just not any room for Shink or Horvat or whoever steps up at training camp.

Daniel - Hank - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Vey - Horvat - Mathais

Dorset - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieska

Elder - Tanev

Sbisa - Stanton

Corardo

Miller

Lack

yes you can actually. (Replace a player like Burrows)

Sedins however no

Agree with you 100%, Bure10.

Lets see...NYR just signed Lee Stempniak for $900,000.

Career totals, Stempniak: GP: 637 G: 150 A: 191 TP: 341 PIM: 233; 31 years old; Cap Hit: $900,000

Career totals, Burrows: GP: 618 G: 157 A: 152: TP: 329 PIM: 896; 33 years old; Cap Hit: $4.5 million

Add a player like Dorsett to the lineup who can add pugnacity and agitate just as well as Burrows...throw in players already on the roster (Higgins, Hansen) who are just as effective on the PK...yeah, it looks to me that Burrows is rather easily replaceable.

Agree with you 100%, Bure10.

Lets see...NYR just signed Lee Stempniak for $900,000.

Career totals, Stempniak: GP: 637 G: 150 A: 191 TP: 341 PIM: 233; 31 years old; Cap Hit: $900,000

Career totals, Burrows: GP: 618 G: 157 A: 152: TP: 329 PIM: 896; 33 years old; Cap Hit: $4.5 million

Add a player like Dorsett to the lineup who can add pugnacity and agitate just as well as Burrows...throw in players already on the roster (Higgins, Hansen) who are just as effective on the PK...yeah, it looks to me that Burrows is rather easily replaceable.

yep

Burrows is yet another player who has had his stats inflated by the Sedins jsut like Carter, Pyatt etc.

He's just worked the best with them, u take him off that line he's a 10 goal scorer

1.) The whole Burrows and Stéphane Auger thing that went on and got him blacklisted by every referee in the game. He's a power play waiting to happen for the other team, a dark cloud that we don't need. I lost count how many times he took us off the power play or cost us a goal against.

Yeah I know he's scored big goals for us, none bigger then the "slay the dragon goal" but u notice how no one ever talks about the penalty he took just minutes before that. Nobody ever talks about the Luongo save on Patrick Sharp back door. The refs were ready give the game to the Hawks and make Burrows look like an idiot. They called a chincy holding penalty on him just 24 SECONDS into a GAME 7 OVERTIME!!!! There was only 3 other penalties called in TOTAL ALL GAME!!!! That just shows u how much the officials hate Bur.

2.) Benning watched Bur bite Bergeron's finger in the Stanley cup FINALS!, the game doesn't need any of that BS and especially in the finals. Benning wants meat and potatoes kind of guys not little classless bitches. Benning served many years in Boston and weather he will admit it or not, I can guarantee he just doesn't like him as a player and/or as a person..

3.) He makes 6 million dollars this year!! I know his cap hit is 4.5 but come on, he is no where close to that. Riding the twins coat tails all these years he should be happy and just move on. Higgins is better and works harder then him and I think higgy wil be on the second line. That means we got a 6 mill 3rd liner!!! Say what u want about Torts but even he wanted MG to buy him out last year.

We gotta move Burrows and free up space for one of kids to crack the lineup, otherwise there's just not any room for Shink or Horvat or whoever steps up at training camp.

Daniel - Hank - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Kassian

Vey - Horvat - Mathais

Dorset - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieska

Elder - Tanev

Sbisa - Stanton

Corardo

Miller

Lack

I like Higgins, but you're absolutely nuts if you think he is a better player than Burrows. If he made 2.5M per season there is no way this discussion would be happening. He is easily the fourth best forward on the team and it would not be the strangest thing to ever happen if he got hot and stole the top line spot from RV. I don't think that will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did either.

Salary means a lot less than cap hit. There is a real misconception here about what 4.5M can get you in 2014. The truth is that 4.5M will get you a 20 - 25 goal scorer who plays well at both ends of the ice, can play in any situation, and will do anything he can to help the team win. That is Alex Burrows.

His performance will tell a lot this year, maybe he has lost a step and won't get back to the level he reached in the past, but the worst case scenario is that he is a reliable two-way player who chips in with a few goals. Is that worth 4.5M? Probably not, but it is certainly better than having a one dimensional offencive player who loses his scoring touch.

I think that Burrows will score at least 20 goals this year and will be an asset every time he is on the ice.

the difference between burrows and the sedins is that even when burr isnt scoring he is still a great asset to the team a great checker , brings energy , PK,gets under the skin of the opponents, you can plug him in on any line and it instantly gets better... i have no doubt in my mind he gets back to mid 20 goals and assists next year.

Exactly! A 1-0 win is just as valuable as a 5-4 win or a 12-0 win for that matter. Still, everyone seems to equate points with value. Burrows doesn't need to score 30 goals to be an asset. It would be a great bonus, but his two-way play and work ethic have always overshadowed his scoring in my eyes.

Burr is an overpaid, overrated rotten third liner. The only reason he used to score a lot was because of the sedins who are now old.

I got pissed off watching him screw up last year. He is not what this team needs.

I think it's humorous that this comment comes from someone with "Ovi" in their screen name. Ovechkin costs the Capitals as many goals as he scores. He thinks that back-checking is looking over his shoulder at the mirror trying to find acne. If Alex B scores 10 goals and plays as well defensively as he usually does he is worth more than Alex O.

He played about 18 minutes a game last season. 0 goals in his first what, 30 games, and he wasn't even good defensively with a brutal +/-. And if you thought you could just go blame Tortorella and the coaching for his lack of production, look at how poorly he played at the World Championships. Bieksa and Garrison fared well, but Burrows was probably their worst player.

The guy is washed up and needs to go. Who knows, maybe a new coach will get him going again, but I'd much rather give him 10 minutes on the 4th line (if he won't get traded) and give those extra 8 minutes to young kids like Kassian and Jensen who can not only prove themselves with extra ice time, but can actually score us some goals.

Burrows was -9 last year. Kesler (former Selke winner) was -15. The team allowed 27 more goals than they scored and these two were the go to guys for all of the toughest situations. You need to consider all of the variables before formulating opinions based on statistics.

The worst thing that can happen to a player is a long term injury to start the year. Once he was healthy enough to get into the line-up the rest of the league had already had a quarter of the season to get their legs. His first 3 or 4 games back he came very close to scoring a number of times. He hit goalposts and was robbed one or twice.

When a slump like that happens, every game that goes by gets harder. If one or two of those early chances go into the net, it could be a completely different season for Burr. They didn't and it wasn't. When he finally did have one go in for him he scored 5 in 4 games and then got injured again.

He still has the ability to score. Judging him on the last two years is a mistake

yep

Burrows is yet another player who has had his stats inflated by the Sedins jsut like Carter, Pyatt etc.

He's just worked the best with them, u take him off that line he's a 10 goal scorer

Oh please, did the Sedins get Art Ross trophies when they played with Pyatt? Linden? Naslund? Even Naslund, didn't click with the Sedins.

Yes, Sedins made Burrows into that 35 goal scorer. But Burrows provided that missing RW for the twins and helped them elevate their games into winning league trophies and such.

The problem is, you're not giving credit to Burrows. If AV didn't put Burr with the Twins, who knows how long we'll lose in that season.

Kk you all have made great points on why we should move him I know deep down your right still....... I'm stuborn to a fault and still think he's got lots to offer. Just get really loyal to players who have worked so hard for us ..... it's hard to let go lol

Exactly! A 1-0 win is just as valuable as a 5-4 win or a 12-0 win for that matter. Still, everyone seems to equate points with value. Burrows doesn't need to score 30 goals to be an asset. It would be a great bonus, but his two-way play and work ethic have always overshadowed his scoring in my eyes.

I agree. Burr's value should not just be attributed to points. As with Higgins, Burr's value increases significantly when you consider his versatility (solid two-way defensive play, good on the PK and good on the PP). I'm really looking forward to this year because I expect Burr to have a bounce back year and score 15 to 20 goals which would be fine with me (again, given his versatility). The biggest obstacle for most young players when they make the jump to the NHL is their difficulty in transforming themselves into a solid two-way player. That's what makes Toews, Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown such elite players; they can play a solid two-way game.

That being said, there is a shelf life for all NHLers and then you need to trade them before they have a major drop-off. IMHO, Burr had an injury prone season but I don't think he's reached the end of his shelf life (not even close).

Archived