The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

This insanity has to end... Burrows needs to go. The sooner the better. People cling to the past like they're kids losing their favorite blanky.. Boo-freakin-hoo. If Burrows is playing in our TOP 6, we have a serious issue moving forward. If Burrows is playing in our BOTTOM 6, that would be okay, IF his cap hit wasn't so horrific. He has benefited from playing with the twins, and some great chemistry with Kesler, leading to inflated stats. Kesler is gone, and twins have become painfully predictable, so why does he deserve a spot in the top 6? Take off the homer glasses and let go of the past. It`s about time he gets shipped out.

This insanity has to end... Burrows needs to go. The sooner the better. People cling to the past like they're kids losing their favorite blanky.. Boo-freakin-hoo. If Burrows is playing in our TOP 6, we have a serious issue moving forward. If Burrows is playing in our BOTTOM 6, that would be okay, IF his cap hit wasn't so horrific. He has benefited from playing with the twins, and some great chemistry with Kesler, leading to inflated stats. Kesler is gone, and twins have become painfully predictable, so why does he deserve a spot in the top 6? Take off the homer glasses and let go of the past. It`s about time he gets shipped out.

You don't watch a lot of hockey do you? I can tell all you care about it what stats are printed at the end of the night. It's not living in the past or having homer glasses, it's actually being Able to watch a player and seeing what they do on the ice. Just because a player doesn't get points doesn't mean they didn't have a huge hand in others getting points. Player 'A' could cause a turn over by working hard and forcing the opposing player to make a mistake but player 'B' gets the puck and passes to 'C' who makes a play to player 'D' who than scores. All people like you would notice is B,C,D with out realizing the only way they got the puck was because of player A. Burrows does a lot more than people notice, but than again the only thing that matters is points right?

He has had great chemistry with everyone he's played with, he's just a smart player that reads players and plays well. He's a player that will fit into the top six without a problem, I will agree with the posts that he's overpaid but the fool MG is gone and if we were to overpay any player on the team I'd have to pick bur after all he took a huge pay cut on his contract before.

Some good points here.

You don't watch a lot of hockey do you? I can tell all you care about it what stats are printed at the end of the night. It's not living in the past or having homer glasses, it's actually being Able to watch a player and seeing what they do on the ice. Just because a player doesn't get points doesn't mean they didn't have a huge hand in others getting points. Player 'A' could cause a turn over by working hard and forcing the opposing player to make a mistake but player 'B' gets the puck and passes to 'C' who makes a play to player 'D' who than scores. All people like you would notice is B,C,D with out realizing the only way they got the puck was because of player A. Burrows does a lot more than people notice, but than again the only thing that matters is points right?

I watch a ton of hockey, along with many other sports. I never said Burrows was useless, but he's not a top 6 player. If you think that, you're delusional. If he was to be slotted in the bottom 6, I wouldn't mind keeping him, but all these fan boys (You included) seem to think he has top end skill, which he does not. He's aging, and has a very poor reputation. The team is going in a new direction, and players like Burrows need to be moved, or dropped to the 3rd/4th line.

He has had great chemistry with everyone he's played with, he's just a smart player that reads players and plays well. He's a player that will fit into the top six without a problem, I will agree with the posts that he's overpaid but the fool MG is gone and if we were to overpay any player on the team I'd have to pick bur after all he took a huge pay cut on his contract before.

Overpaying anyone doesn't make any sense at all. Salary cap era dictates that players are paid what they are WORTH NOW, not the country club mentality of the past where aging mediocre players are kept and overpaid for sentimental reasons. This is a business of WINNING. You can't win with bloated contracts for mid-tier players. Having said that, if we were truly in "tank" mode, then certainly keep him and use him as a useful BOTTOM 6 player, but we're not.

If he does get traded, who would have thought Luongo, Kesler and Burrows would all get traded in the same year, three years ago? Not to mention, Schneider too a year back.

But I agree with the OP, don't trade him and see how he performs under Desjardins in his first year. It seems like not only did Burrows didn't do well under Torts as Head Coach but every other player too. Bringing in Willie will give everyone a fresh start and hopefully most of players will have rebound year.

I watch a ton of hockey, along with many other sports. I never said Burrows was useless, but he's not a top 6 player. If you think that, you're delusional. If he was to be slotted in the bottom 6, I wouldn't mind keeping him, but all these fan boys (You included) seem to think he has top end skill, which he does not. He's aging, and has a very poor reputation. The team is going in a new direction, and players like Burrows need to be moved, or dropped to the 3rd/4th line.

I really like what Burrows, Henrik and Jensen brought to the ice when that line got to play together. He looked like a top 6 with those two. The thing with trading Burrows is that if you move him you won't get the value he brings back, unless you package him.

Burrows very well could be on the 3rd line this year with the addition of Vrbrata. If trading Burrows gets us a better option for the top 6 than I'm fully for trading him, but right now I rather see him in the top 6 over a rookie who isn't ready or Hansen.

Let's see what his first 20 games look like. If the same as last year, something needs to be done. If injuries and coaching were a big factor l;ast year, he should be better and still have a role on the team.

As to showing highlights of players to make a point, I suspect you could find a few amazing plays to put together for every player in the NHL (they all got there as they are highly skilled hockey players). It isn't a very compelling argument.

Overpaying anyone doesn't make any sense at all. Salary cap era dictates that players are paid what they are WORTH NOW, not the country club mentality of the past where aging mediocre players are kept and overpaid for sentimental reasons. This is a business of WINNING. You can't win with bloated contracts for mid-tier players. Having said that, if we were truly in "tank" mode, then certainly keep him and use him as a useful BOTTOM 6 player, but we're not.

Who on our team is ready to take him out of the top six? If you say kass I'm going to puke. He is a top six player in our team like it or not, there are youngsters ready to step up but the third line is better training grounds then second line mins. I think he should be playing on our second line next year and if players have developed to the point that there ready to take his spot then and he's still underperforming then we look at a trade.

Who on our team is ready to take him out of the top six? If you say kass I'm going to puke. He is a top six player in our team like it or not, there are youngsters ready to step up but the third line is better training grounds then second line mins. I think he should be playing on our second line next year and if players have developed to the point that there ready to take his spot then and he's still underperforming then we look at a trade.

Kassian will probably end up on the 2nd line IMO. Kass has already spent his time on the 3rd line and we could use youth spread throughout the lineup.

Burrows will probably stay on either the 2nd or 3rd line, depending on how he plays.

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian I think will be our 2nd line.

Still played 49 games and barely produced for a player that is paid 4.5m to produce. Injuries are just an excuse IF you don't play well. Plenty of players return from injuries and never miss a beat.

How will you feel if he stalls out of the gate this season? Still not fully recovered? Bad chemistry? We all better hope he 'returns to form' or it's going to get uglier towards him.

It will get uglier until he proves his value and once again he will get the key to the city. Same old same old fans. In love with a player one day and the next day he is treated like a cancer.

It is really sad when fans expect you to fail no matter what the circumstances are. They can then get up on their bragging box and yell to the crowd, "I told you so." Like a flock of dumb chickens peckin' on a sick little chick.

It will get uglier until he proves his value and once again he will get the key to the city. Same old same old fans. In love with a player one day and the next day he is treated like a cancer.

It is really sad when fans expect you to fail no matter what the circumstances are. They can then get up on their bragging box and yell to the crowd, "I told you so." Like a flock of dumb chickens peckin' on a sick little chick.

We respected what he did for the team, but at the end of the day, we are fans of team and there are logical points as to why management should consider moving him.

-bad reputation with the referees

-is not getting any younger and his style of play usually usually declines through age

-costs $4.5 million

-there are younger, cheaper guys coming up that could take his position

If he stays, that's great. He's still a fan favourite and many of us have his jersey. However, there are benefits to trading him. We aren't the pure antagonists you're making us out to be. We form our opinions on realistic expectations.

We respected what he did for the team, but at the end of the day, we are fans of team and there are logical points as to why management should consider moving him.

-bad reputation with the referees

-is not getting any younger and his style of play usually usually declines through age

-costs $4.5 dollars

-there are younger, cheaper guys coming up that could take his position

If he stays, that's great. He's still a fan favourite and many of us have his jersey. However, there are benefits to trading him. We aren't the pure antagonists you're making us out to be. We form our opinions on realistic expectations.

You are wasting your time talking logically with certain fans. Once they get stars in their eyes they can't see clearly and get upset at the very idea of trading away one of their heroes.

Kassian was probably our best forward in the second half of the season. He scored two less goals than Daniel last season, while playing 3rd line minutes. IMO he's ready for a top 6 role on this team.

^^^

Don't you guys think at least he deserves a chance to play under the new coach???

Perhaps Burrows thinks that as well.

In all fairness you're right, Burrows does deserve that chance to bounce back. But if you can get a good return for Burrows, that helps this team going forward, I think it's the right move to make. It's not fair to Burrows, but what's best for the team is more important.

Kassian was probably our best forward in the second half of the season. He scored two less goals than Daniel last season, while playing 3rd line minutes. IMO he's ready for a top 6 role on this team.

Zack had 29 points in 73 games, that's a point every 2.5 games.

Bur had 15 points in 49 games that's a point every 2 games.

Bur was coming off an injury and was having a verrrrry bad year, now your saying that he's ready for second line mins but bur shouldn't even be on the team???? Kass shouldn't even be able to shower in the same locker room as bur to this point. Kass needs another year to develop on a non critical line.

To top it off bur seamed to suffer under torts and kass found some grove with a hard nose coach (we don't have a hard nose coach anymore), under a new coach there is far more concern that kass would suffer then bur after all kass has had 4 coaches in a row that he couldn't play for and bur has worked with about everyone.

Archived