The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Mr Benning make any other moves

Dal Colle

Hansen's 2013-14 season was the worst of his NHL career. His scoring rate dropped to around half of what it had been the previous two seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13). His shooting percentage was almost three points lower than what he'd averaged the previous four seasons (2009-10 through 2012-13). His teammates didn't help much either, shooting only around 6% during on-ice minutes with Hansen (after averaging about 9% in the previous four seasons).

It's pretty clear that last season was an aberration.

Even so, Hansen's 2013-14 scoring would actually be considered "top-nine" by NHL standards (based on the production of the top-270 forwards or the top-90 RWers). And Hansen's awful totals in 2013-14 were still good enough to place him in the top-nine of roughly half the teams in the league, including several playoff teams.

So let's not get too worried if Hansen's in the top-nine.

He's been a solid third liner for nearly his entire NHL career. Over the past few seasons, excluding last year, Hansen has been producing top-six level offense. He's even flirted with "first liner" scoring efficiency (5v5 points/60) in 2011-12 and 2012-13.

It's highly unlikely he'll repeat last year's nightmare. And even if he did, he'd still rate as a top-nine forward. Only a handful of points of improvement and he'll be producing as well as the top-nine forwards on all but the NHL's most elite "offensive juggernaut" teams. And if he has any kind of bounceback to his 2011-13 levels, he'll be one of the best "third liners" in the entire league.

I agree with people who'd prefer Hansen didn't play on the top two lines, but saying that his presence on the third line would be a measuring stick for missing the playoffs is simply ludicrous. I have no problem playing Hansen on a "fourth line" in a 3A/3B bottom-six, but saying that he's only a "fourth liner" on a playoff team is either hyperbole or willful ignorance.

Perfectly said with the statistics to prove it...

However, half of CDC's posteres has already made up their mind up that he is toast....

The fact he was part of the best ever 3rd line in Canucks history is obviously irrelevant.

TBH reminds me of first half of 2008. Which I thought would crash and burn..... But ended up being a decent season and the start of the momentum which carried the Canucks for a few strong seasons.

If I remember correctly it was something like :

Sedin Sedin Bernier

Raymond Demitra Pyatt

Burrows Kesler Hansen

Hordichuk Johnson Rypien/Wellwood

Mitchell Bieksa

Edler Ohlund

O'Brien Salo

Luongo

Sanford/Labarbera/Schneider

However, half of CDC's posteres has already made up their mind up that he is toast....

The fact he was part of the best ever 3rd line in Canucks history is obviously irrelevant.

You & Sid can use stats to support any position you wish, but the reality is that Vrbata, Burrows and Kassian are ahead of him on the right side .. to reiterate, if Hansen is in our top-9 then one of the above three players is under-performing, and Hansen gets to waste all those precious scoring chances he continually fails to capitalize on, which means we will struggle to make the play-offs.

It is simple math, no? .. you want Burrows on the 4th line at $4.5? .. if Hansen is ahead of Kassian on our depth chart then we are going nowhere .. you can quote me on that one .. :)

And no, people are not automatically "ludicrous" just because they disagree with you on such subjective matters.

I don't think you understand JB/TL's plan here.

Their plan isn't to "win the cup" this year. Their plan is to make the playoffs, y'know, have a winning culture. I've talked about the importance of a winning culture so many times before, but i guess i'll repeat it again. You can't just have prospects losing (telling them to tank). Just creates bad habits and teaches them that losing is alright, which is never good. You want to put the desire to win into these kids. With the pieces we got from the Kesler trade, Bonino/Sbisa have time to develop until we really need them.. They're just kids still, they have time. Waiting 3-5 years wouldn't put them in a bad spot at all.

The plan isn't to just win the cup this year. We're in a slow transitional phase.. We're probably gunning for a cup in 3-5 years (i'd honestly say the first year into Bo's new contract would probably be the year).. Would those random FA's be there when we need em? No. Also, i wouldn't want these vets anywhere NEAR our prospects.

Not trying to attack the players personally at all, but with Ribeiro's rumored problems with his family and substance abuse, i wouldn't want him near our prospects whatsoever. Jokinen is also really freakin' lazy.

Maybe you'd have an argument here if we had signed Iginla. But what in the hell is self-servient Miller going to do but get in Lack's way and shift his eyebrows around? And Vrbata with his 1 goal in his last 16 games played last season doesn't equate to a whole lot of winning down the stretch, does it? And is Bonino a big enough 'winner' with his one good year to assist kids like Horvat down the road? And Sbisa... Oh yeah... Winning...

I don't like those other guys either, but math is math. $3mil for all those points means that Nashville will be earning more wins than us this season. Pretty simple.

We signed stop-gaps, sure. But this 'winning culture' argument is bunk. Kesler wanted out of here because we're not winning anything soon.

You & Sid can use stats to support any position you wish, but the reality is that Vrbata, Burrows and Kassian are ahead of him on the right side .. to reiterate, if Hansen is in our top-9 then one of the above three players is under-performing, and Hansen gets to waste all those precious scoring chances he continually fails to capitalize on, which means we will struggle to make the play-offs.

It is simple math, no? .. you want Burrows on the 4th line at $4.5? .. if Hansen is ahead of Kassian on our depth chart then we are going nowhere .. you can quote me on that one .. :)

And no, people are not automatically "stupid" just because they disagree with you on such subjective matters.

Who said they are stupid? You just gladly ignore the facts Sid put forward.

Yes he had a louzy season...but so did most of the team. There are room for Hansen and Burrows on this team, if they can play to previous standard, or unless some of the youngsters plays him off the team, which I do not believe is going to happen.

And all the crap of 4,5 million on the 4th line. If he plays like garbage , he'll be on the 4th line or in the press box. Just ask Booth.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Sestito

If these kind of stats meant anything, Raymond would still be here.

And no, people are not automatically "ludicrous" just because they disagree with you on such subjective matters.

You're putting Burrows on the right wing depth chart when he's a natural left wing, he didn't play the right side until he switched over to play with the twins.

Kassian is ahead of Hansen in everyone's projected lineups, but so far in their respective careers Hansen has been a much better hockey player then Kassian. People are betting on Kassians potential, but he still has to go out & earn it.

ATM Hansen would be the 6th best forward on this team, no way he doesn't play in the top 9.

You're putting Burrows on the right wing depth chart when he's a natural left wing, he didn't play the right side until he switched over to play with the twins.

Kassian is ahead of Hansen in everyone's projected lineups, but so far in their respective careers Hansen has been a much better hockey player then Kassian. People are betting on Kassians potential, but he still has to go out & earn it.

ATM Hansen would be the 6th best forward on this team, no way he doesn't play in the top 9.

Hansen is almost 30 years old and only sniffed 15 goals once. He's reached his potential as a pro player. Looking at his body of work, realistically, he's a 10-12 goal scorer.

Kassian is 23 and the stars seem to be aligning for him. He emerged in the last half of the year when the rest of the team looked to have given up. With a new coach who understands younger players and a mandate from new management to become younger/faster/stronger, expect him to really show something this year. I believe he will.

Hansen a top 6? No way.

Top 9? Maybe.... depends on what we see from all the new players coming to camp.

Put it this way, by the time this team is good enough to compete for a Cup again, he will be long gone. He is a below average offensive player with average size. He's got some jam though which makes him suitable on a 3rd or 4th line.

On a great team, he's on the outside looking in.

On a good team, maybe he's a 4th liner.

On our team this year? ______________??

I would not be surprised at all to see him moved at some point before the season starts.

If Hansen is the 6th best forward on our team going forward, then we are in serious trouble .. it means none of our prospects, or new acquisitions are good enough .. I just cannot believe that to be true .. he would be terrific on a 4th line providing energy .. hands of lead.

I have said it for two+ years .. when Hansen is a staple on our 4th line, then we will have a good team .. he will be moved long before that happens IMO.

If Hansen is the 6th best forward on our team going forward, then we are in serious trouble .. it means none of our prospects, or new acquisitions are good enough .. I just cannot believe that to be true .. he would be terrific on a 4th line providing energy .. hands of lead.

I have said it for two+ years .. when Hansen is a staple on our 4th line, then we will have a good team .. he will be moved long before that happens IMO.

Well yes their are certainly many candidates to bump him down on the depth chart, but for how they have performed at the NHL level thus far then Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows & Higgins are the only ones to prove themselves to be more capable then Hansen.

You can't say a player is better then him until they actually go out & do it.

I disagree on your basic valuation of Hansen though, he's a very good 3rd line player & would be top 9 in almost every team in the league.

He's fast, defensively responsible, an excellent penalty killer, doesn't shy away from physical play & can chip in 10-15 goals while playing on a shut down line.

Interesting quote from CDC's interview with Matthias "10:00 a.m. – “This is awkward, I’ve never worked out in front of a camera before,” laughed Shawn. “I feel good today though, I talked to Jim Benning yesterday and we discussed the season, so I’m pumped. He told me he tried to trade for me when he was in Boston. That’s nice to hear." http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726642&navid=DL|VAN|home

Who knew that Boston wanted him?

Well yes their are certainly many candidates to bump him down on the depth chart, but for how they have performed at the NHL level thus far then Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows & Higgins are the only ones to prove themselves to be more capable then Hansen.

You can't say a player is better then him until they actually go out & do it.

I disagree on your basic valuation of Hansen though, he's a very good 3rd line player & would be top 9 in almost every team in the league.

He's fast, defensively responsible, an excellent penalty killer, doesn't shy away from physical play & can chip in 10-15 goals while playing on a shut down line.

Considering neither Burrows or Higgins are centers where does that put Hansen on the depth chart? Didn't Kassian "go out & do it" last season outproducing Hansen by 9 points with less ice time? Barring injuries Hansen won't be in the top six. Even then I'd prefer to see Jensen, Shinkaruk, or Fox called up to cover top six injuries.

Vrbata old.

Miller old.

Bonino a benefactor of his linemates in Anaheim.

Sbisa not proven.

Vey not proven.

If we were playoff-bound, then why would Kesler want to leave?

Vrbata points last season: 51 (more than any Canuck)

Miller's S% in Buffalo last season: .923

Bonino: You don't give him any credit at all. He didn't spend the season playing with Getzlaf and Perry. The only two Ducks with more points than Bonino last season. Enough points to be 2nd on our team.

Gaunce not proven

Fox not proven

Horvat not proven

Shinkaruk not proven

Jensen not proven

Only NHL experience at all among them is Jensen. So what's your point?

You didn't get your strip the team down and spend 5+ years rebuilding that you wanted so nothing will be good enough for you and you'll only look at every move as a negative. Need a tissue?

Considering neither Burrows or Higgins are centers where does that put Hansen on the depth chart? Didn't Kassian "go out & do it" last season outproducing Hansen by 9 points with less ice time? Barring injuries Hansen won't be in the top six. Even then I'd prefer to see Jensen, Shinkaruk, or Fox called up to cover top six injuries.

Nope Kassian didn't go out & do it last season.

He outproduced Hansen with less ice time, but why did he get less ice time?

Kassian gets lost in the defensive zone too often, out of position, making bad plays. Until Kassian becomes much more productive or becomes defensively reliable then Hansen is a better player then him

:) I'm not saying Hansen is in or should be in our top 6 forwards, I'm just saying he's our 6th best forward.

He's a much better all around player then Bonino or Kassian, but Bonino & Kassian have more offensive upside.

Archived