The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Mr Benning make any other moves

Dal Colle

Kesler didn't want to be here and had no confidence. Let it go.

Miller Needed a goaltender veteran

Vrbata all around player and what we needed. GIves us a different weapon to use(so to speak) per Benning

Vey younger and more ready

Bonino - younger with potential

Maybe i should re-edit that other post.

Riberio is old and not what we needed.

Jokinen what?

Roy tried...it didn't work out.

Those players are not what we needed.

We needed scoring support. Just $3mil short-term for all those points is not what we needed? Yeah right.

Anyway, what we really need is an admittance that the playoff days for this group are over. And the Kesler trade did just that. This core is done.

We needed scoring support. Just $3mil short-term for all those points is not what we needed? Yeah right.

Anyway, what we really need is an admittance that the playoff days for this group are over. And the Kesler trade did just that. This core is done.

I'm not sure but i'll try again.

Riberio and Jokinen are not the kind of players that would work here. That's it.

If you think the core is done, fine...that's your decision.

Mighty optimistic statement. If that isn't enough you have Hansen on the second line and Kassian on the fourth. That's just plain stupid. Then you add a cherry on top with signing 42 year old Brodeur. And what, trade Lack to make room for the old age pensioner? Good God!

Bang-on, Mr. B .. summer time, with the heat and all, does peculiar things to some folks.

Log jam at center is good though.

Wait, but if RIchardson goes, who mans the fourth and third line?

yes logjam at center is good because it gives us options. Like I said, my reason would be to open an opportunity for gaunce or horvat. It would just give us another pick down the road.

Fuark...we are really hoping Bonino and Kassian are legit top 6 players eh???

fml

Didn't know a "legit top 6 player" has to score more than 22 goals and put up more than 50 points. Bonino is a legit top 6 player and Kassian will be a "legit top 6 player" soon enough, maybe this season. Both are young and both still have untapped potential.

Vrbata old.

Miller old.

Bonino a benefactor of his linemates in Anaheim.

Sbisa not proven.

Vey not proven.

If we were playoff-bound, then why would Kesler want to leave?

You either say this player is old or that player is unproven. Are the Sedins old or not proven?

Vrbata and Miller are the same age range as Luongo. So if we had Luongo and Kesler, do you think we would be a playoff contender versus what this team has gained?.

Lol?

Oh, sorry, i guess you wanted to pull another Luongo-type resolution where we beg him to stay even after he requested he wants OUT. You really think Kesler would want to stay here after all of this BS? Hell, even his own teammate called him out for "jumping ship." Having Kesler in the dressing room come October is a terrible idea.

The fact that you think signing a bunch of old UFAs (aka what NSH did) is better than what JB actually did is just.. like.. sad.

We're all set for 9-13th in the West, if that's what u mean

That is not a guarantee and not set in stone. After all, no one predicted Colorado becoming one of the elite teams last season when they were picking 1st overall the previous season. This Canucks team has the surprise element or factor this upcoming season and I will bet they could actually make the playoffs. The additions of Vrbata, Bonino, Sbisa, Miller, Vey and Dorsett are nothing to sneeze at. The other factor is if one of the prospects like Horvat surprises at the summer camp and actually makes the team.

The line up is younger and has a lot more depth, and goaltending should be rock solid. Benning has addressed some of the key issues so far. Just have to wait for the season now to see how it plays out.

If Benning were to make any other moves now or later, I'd like to see Matthais extended (apparently Benning tried to trade for him while in BOS).

Lol?

Oh, sorry, i guess you wanted to pull another Luongo-type resolution where we beg him to stay even after he requested he wants OUT. You really think Kesler would want to stay here after all of this BS? Hell, even his own teammate called him out for "jumping ship." Having Kesler in the dressing room come October is a terrible idea.

The fact that you think signing a bunch of old UFAs (aka what NSH did) is better than what JB actually did is just.. like.. sad.

No it's time for a rebuild and Kesler saw that and figured it was time to go to a winner. I get that.

When Nashville does better in the standings than us this year, will it be sad for them? Again, and entire line for just $3mil? Old or not, they can still put up way more than $3mil worth of points.

No it's time for a rebuild and Kesler saw that and figured it was time to go to a winner. I get that.

When Nashville does better in the standings than us this year, will it be sad for them? Again, and entire line for just $3mil? Old or not, they can still put up way more than $3mil worth of points.

I don't think you understand JB/TL's plan here.

Their plan isn't to "win the cup" this year. Their plan is to make the playoffs, y'know, have a winning culture. I've talked about the importance of a winning culture so many times before, but i guess i'll repeat it again. You can't just have prospects losing (telling them to tank). Just creates bad habits and teaches them that losing is alright, which is never good. You want to put the desire to win into these kids. With the pieces we got from the Kesler trade, Bonino/Sbisa have time to develop until we really need them.. They're just kids still, they have time. Waiting 3-5 years wouldn't put them in a bad spot at all.

The plan isn't to just win the cup this year. We're in a slow transitional phase.. We're probably gunning for a cup in 3-5 years (i'd honestly say the first year into Bo's new contract would probably be the year).. Would those random FA's be there when we need em? No. Also, i wouldn't want these vets anywhere NEAR our prospects.

Not trying to attack the players personally at all, but with Ribeiro's rumored problems with his family and substance abuse, i wouldn't want him near our prospects whatsoever. Jokinen is also really freakin' lazy.

I don't think you understand JB/TL's plan here.

Their plan isn't to "win the cup" this year. Their plan is to make the playoffs, y'know, have a winning culture. I've talked about the importance of a winning culture so many times before, but i guess i'll repeat it again. You can't just have prospects losing (telling them to tank). Just creates bad habits and teaches them that losing is alright, which is never good. You want to put the desire to win into these kids. With the pieces we got from the Kesler trade, Bonino/Sbisa have time to develop until we really need them.. They're just kids still, they have time. Waiting 3-5 years wouldn't put them in a bad spot at all.

The plan isn't to just win the cup this year. We're in a slow transitional phase.. We're probably gunning for a cup in 3-5 years (i'd honestly say the first year into Bo's new contract would probably be the year).. Would those random FA's be there when we need em? No. Also, i wouldn't want these vets anywhere NEAR our prospects.

Not trying to attack the players personally at all, but with Ribeiro's rumored problems with his family and substance abuse, i wouldn't want him near our prospects whatsoever. Jokinen is also really freakin' lazy.

Exactly. For example, take a look at Columbus and Dallas, unlike the Oilers, Panthers or Sabres they go out and play to win. It doesn't matter how many top five picks a team has had in the last few years if they keep losing. It changes the mindset as well for the young guns who don't know anything but losing.

Barring injury, if Hansen is in our 'top-9' equation, then we are not contending for the playoffs .. use him as a measuring stick

Hansen's 2013-14 season was the worst of his NHL career. His scoring rate dropped to around half of what it had been the previous two seasons (2011-12 and 2012-13). His shooting percentage was almost three points lower than what he'd averaged the previous four seasons (2009-10 through 2012-13). His teammates didn't help much either, shooting only around 6% during on-ice minutes with Hansen (after averaging about 9% in the previous four seasons).

It's pretty clear that last season was an aberration.

Even so, Hansen's 2013-14 scoring would actually be considered "top-nine" by NHL standards (based on the production of the top-270 forwards or the top-90 RWers). And Hansen's awful totals in 2013-14 were still good enough to place him in the top-nine of roughly half the teams in the league, including several playoff teams.

So let's not get too worried if Hansen's in the top-nine.

He's been a solid third liner for nearly his entire NHL career. Over the past few seasons, excluding last year, Hansen has been producing top-six level offense. He's even flirted with "first liner" scoring efficiency (5v5 points/60) in 2011-12 and 2012-13.

It's highly unlikely he'll repeat last year's nightmare. And even if he did, he'd still rate as a top-nine forward. Only a handful of points of improvement and he'll be producing as well as the top-nine forwards on all but the NHL's most elite "offensive juggernaut" teams. And if he has any kind of bounceback to his 2011-13 levels, he'll be one of the best "third liners" in the entire league.

I agree with people who'd prefer Hansen didn't play on the top two lines, but saying that his presence on the third line would be a measuring stick for missing the playoffs is simply ludicrous. I have no problem playing Hansen on a "fourth line" in a 3A/3B bottom-six, but saying that he's only a "fourth liner" on a playoff team is either hyperbole or willful ignorance.

One under the radar thing I hope Benning does is get in aggressively on trying to sign Kevin Hayes if he doesn't re-sign with Chicago. Chicago has until Aug 15th to sign him or he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere. He apparently is restricted to a two year ELC no matter where he signs. But he has size and a nose for the net like Benning wants and several hockey people think he could actually be a dark horse for an NHL job next season. Size and skill. He would be a great addition to our prospect pool without costing us anything but a strong sales pitch and an opportunity that he likely will not get in Chicago.

It is widely rumored that Hayes will choose to leave the Hawks who will trade his rights or take the 54th pick in the 2015 draft if he does leave. His brother Jimmy was traded by the Hawks to Florida so there are rumors he could go there as well.

I could see us moving Burr at the deadline, outside chance Hansen, depends what type of years they have. A dman being moved is unlikely however what NHL teams and players say and what they do are two separate things, so who knows where Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis really stand on their NTCs.

Archived