The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

He's only been on the job for 3 months and made has made a few major deals already...hows he been too cautious?

Evaluate the moves

In what way were they showing how Benning is a risk taker?

I'll state again I have no problem with Benning but he's shown he's not taking any chances so far IMO. How the future will unfold is yet to be seen.

What is the point of this?

A) It's hard to compare the value of a forward prospect to a goalie. Especially since goalies tend to be just as good as the team in front of them more often than not, so realistically all you need is a legit starting goalie (Crawford, Niemi, even Quick I think is overrated).

B) Some people think Gillis had nothing to do with the Tortorella hiring and it was all Aquilini.

C) We got swept by the Sharks, did you even watch the series or do you have memory problems? It wasn't that long ago.

Also, after the draft what could have been done differently? Bring back Raymond, who really is suited for the Eastern Conference. Resign Lappierre, who was replaced by Richardson. Maholtra looked like he would never play again. Roy was a bust here.

What could of a new GM done differently? Since we got beat so badly, I wouldn't consider us a cup contender in 2013, how do we all of a sudden become one?

We would've became one if luongo stayed all season and started 70-75 games like what we expected from him but Mike Gillis didn't give him a chance. In fact he'd prob still be a Canuck today if he wasn't criticised every single game by fans (sorry btw) he still had potential to win 49 games or so

We would have been a much better team last year if we'd just bought out Luongo, kept Schneider instead of making that idiotic trade, kept Ballard, and traded Edler for the rumoured package Detroit was offering. Definitely a playoff team and possibly better.

A chimp with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome could have made better decisions last offseason than Gillis.

We would've became one if luongo stayed all season and started 70-75 games like what we expected from him but Mike Gillis didn't give him a chance. In fact he'd prob still be a Canuck today if he wasn't criticised every single game by fans (sorry btw) he still had potential to win 49 games or so

Fans didn't force Lu out. Poor play and a monster contract given to him by that clown MG did. Do I wish we had Cory, yes, however he was a victim of circumstances. I think Horvat will be a major part of this team moving forward so we can live without Cory.

By the Trade Deadline the season was basically lost.

Fans didn't force Lu out. Poor play and a monster contract given to him by that clown MG did. Do I wish we had Cory, yes, however he was a victim of circumstances. I think Horvat will be a major part of this team moving forward so we can live without Cory.

I see Horvat our franchise 1st or 2nd line centre in the next 10 years. Shinkaruk is also a potential 1st or 2nd line centre possibly with Horvat. Bright and positive things for this franchise.

We would have been a much better team last year if we'd just bought out Luongo, kept Schneider instead of making that idiotic trade, kept Ballard, and traded Edler for the rumoured package Detroit was offering. Definitely a playoff team and possibly better.

A chimp with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome could have made better decisions last offseason than Gillis.

Why would we bought out Luongo in which he had tons of value. We got a decent return outta him better than getting naddda. Also Edler would never be traded as Trevor is a huge Edler fan and I, myself, am one too.

He's only been on the job for 3 months and made has made a few major deals already...hows he been too cautious?

They were kinda cautious moves.

The Kesler trade should have included the 10th overall pick. Bonino is roster player, not a 2nd line center until he proves it, Sbisa is a ho-hum young defender. I think it was a little cautious.

The Garrison move was cap space for Miller, Dorsett is another roster player and avoids having to use a prospect.

The Miller move was bold in my opinion, but even more bold and risky would have been to have Lack as the starter and a focus on the kids.

I'm really happy with the changes, but I would hardly classify Benning's moves so far as risky.

Why would we bought out Luongo in which he had tons of value. We got a decent return outta him better than getting naddda

The return we got for Lu was trash. We got a 3rd line center, a goalie project with injury problems who has a history of embarrassing himself and his teammates in pressure situations, retained salary, and exposed ourselves to cap recapture penalties. The retained salary and cap recapture EASILY cancel out any value we got back.

Bottom line was both goalie trades were absolutely idiotic.

They were kinda cautious moves.

The Kesler trade should have included the 10th overall pick. Bonino is roster player, not a 2nd line center until he proves it, Sbisa is a ho-hum young defender. I think it was a little cautious.

The Garrison move was cap space for Miller, Dorsett is another roster player and avoids having to use a prospect.

The Miller move was bold in my opinion, but even more bold and risky would have been to have Lack as the starter and a focus on the kids.

I'm really happy with the changes, but I would hardly classify Benning's moves so far as risky.

Cdc way over rated Kesler. Most hockey insiders felt Benning won the trade. Kesler was a 40 point, minus 15 centre who was given crazy ice time.

Another MG thread?

I never liked MG from the start, and guess what, I was blasted on cdc for that. Most on here called him a god, a gm legend, while some on here called him the best GM in Hockey. This board is full of so many hypocrites and bandwagoners it's ridiculous.

The one thing I can't deny was a couple very successful seasons during his tenure but I give most the praise to AV.

gillis was a good gm...some of his moves didn't work out, but most of the moves we thought were good at the time...if it was him who hired torts than that was a major mistake....we all thought booth was going to be that guy that fit with kesler...he had a trade

with toronto for luongo but aqualinni said no to paying some of his salary....when he couldn't move luo, he was forced to move

schneider.....i wasn't there so i don't know what deals there could have for him....torts put the nail in luo's coffin, forcing gillis to move him...he probably didn't have many options....i won't throw people under the bus because some things didn't turn out...

i'll let the cdc wanna be gm's do that.

The return we got for Lu was trash. We got a 3rd line center, a goalie project with injury problems who has a history of embarrassing himself and his teammates in pressure situations, retained salary, and exposed ourselves to cap recapture penalties. The retained salary and cap recapture EASILY cancel out any value we got back.

Matthias is a great player IMO. He wants to be here and couldn't ask for a better player like Matthias. I predict 40-50 points for him if he has great line mates that connect with him from the get go.

Matthias is a great player IMO. He wants to be here and couldn't ask for a better player like Matthias. I predict 40-50 points for him if he has great line mates that connect with him from the get go.

He's good but you can get similar guys in UFA pretty easily. The upside to him is more than cancelled by Gillis screwing the team for the rest of Luongo's contract by agreeing to retain salary. ANY cap retention is moronic when a team has a compliance buyout.

obviously you would have made better deals....when you were in the war room with those guys, what other deals were offered or asked for...luo's agent demanded a move...luo wanted to go to florida....what did the canucks ask for...what kind of counter proposals were there?...please fill us in on this information we don't have?....it is good to have a canuck insider on here that can pass on all that info...

Another MG thread?

I never liked MG from the start, and guess what, I was blasted on cdc for that. Most on here called him a god, a gm legend, while some on here called him the best GM in Hockey. This board is full of so many hypocrites and bandwagoners it's ridiculous.

The one thing I can't deny was a couple very successful seasons during his tenure but I give most the praise to AV.

I for one am not a bandy, hypocrite, etc. just a pure Canucks fan for life. Everyone in the forum would give the most praise to AV he brought a fast brand style of hockey to this club and brought many years of success to this club. AV was the holy grail of coaches back then. Still is today but seems more like the holy fail when it comes to Stanley cup finals

obviously you would have made better deals....when you were in the war room with those guys, what other deals were offered or asked for...luo's agent demanded a move...luo wanted to go to florida....what did the canucks ask for...what kind of counter proposals were there?...please fill us in on this information we don't have?....it is good to have a canuck insider on here that can pass on all that info...

A Luongo buyout would have been a far better option. If Aquilini was refusing to pay up, it's up to Gillis to try to convince Aquilini how essential the buyout was for the future of the club. By pulling the trigger on the 2nd and 3rd worst trades in franchise history, Gillis assumed full responsibility for the damage they will do to the team for the next decade.

Archived