The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

There are many ways we could've won and gotten a better record this year. If Mike Gillis wasn't managing this team then would've we made the playoffs... No one knows but IMO I think he should've been fired during last summer. He traded basically a future top

Goaltender for basically nothing( Sorry Horvat) although I do think that he'll be a good player just not sure whether he'll be better than Schneids. If Gillis was let go last season, we would've had not hired as bad as a coach like Torts.we were doing great at first but then a terrible meltdown. I would've never expected this from AV if he was still. In fact what if Gillis didn't fire AV, then he'll prob still have his job in safe hands right?!!!!??!! Like a series sweep against the kings, I would've given any coach a second chance especially a coach that has brought this team to the playoffs consecutive years. If Gillis wasn't managing I'm guessing most of you will agree that this team will still be a playoff contender and a cup contender. But no Gillis still managed and ultimately lead to the teams failure....

This sport is about taking chances. You can either go out and gamble, or wait for the sure thing. I think I'd rather have a guy who'll make a mistake or two, than a GM like Kevin Cheveldayoff, who hasn't made a player for player trade in 3 years. I don't agree with a lot of the moves that Mike Gillis made, but on the other hand, there were some pretty good gambles that did pay off.

Right now we're following Linden and Benning, and you have to admit, they're trying something new, and it might blow up in our faces....horribly. Or the sum will be better than the individual parts. We went to the Stanley Cup playoffs the last couple of times without a Crosby/Gretzky like player, and I don't believe we've ever had that Norris caliber defenseman.

That being said, if we had gotten rid of Gillis earlier, we probably wouldn't have Linden, Benning, and Desjardins leading us forward. I see a lot more hope with this group than with some of the other people we might have gotten ahead of time.

This sport is about taking chances. You can either go out and gamble, or wait for the sure thing. I think I'd rather have a guy who'll make a mistake or two, than a GM like Kevin Cheveldayoff, who hasn't made a player for player trade in 3 years. I don't agree with a lot of the moves that Mike Gillis made, but on the other hand, there were some pretty good gambles that did pay off.

Right now we're following Linden and Benning, and you have to admit, they're trying something new, and it might blow up in our faces....horribly. Or the sum will be better than the individual parts. We went to the Stanley Cup playoffs the last couple of times without a Crosby/Gretzky like player, and I don't believe we've ever had that Norris caliber defenseman.

That being said, if we had gotten rid of Gillis earlier, we probably wouldn't have Linden, Benning, and Desjardins leading us forward. I see a lot more hope with this group than with some of the other people we might have gotten ahead of time.

+1 in a nutshell

Another MG thread?

I never liked MG from the start, and guess what, I was blasted on cdc for that. Most on here called him a god, a gm legend, while some on here called him the best GM in Hockey. This board is full of so many hypocrites and bandwagoners it's ridiculous.

The one thing I can't deny was a couple very successful seasons during his tenure but I give most the praise to AV.

There are many ways we could've won and gotten a better record this year. If Mike Gillis wasn't managing this team then would've we made the playoffs... No one knows but IMO I think he should've been fired during last summer. He traded basically a future top

Goaltender for basically nothing( Sorry Horvat) although I do think that he'll be a good player just not sure whether he'll be better than Schneids. If Gillis was let go last season, we would've had not hired as bad as a coach like Torts.we were doing great at first but then a terrible meltdown. I would've never expected this from AV if he was still. In fact what if Gillis didn't fire AV, then he'll prob still have his job in safe hands right?!!!!??!! Like a series sweep against the kings, I would've given any coach a second chance especially a coach that has brought this team to the playoffs consecutive years. If Gillis wasn't managing I'm guessing most of you will agree that this team will still be a playoff contender and a cup contender. But no Gillis still managed and ultimately lead to the teams failure....

What is the point of this?

A) It's hard to compare the value of a forward prospect to a goalie. Especially since goalies tend to be just as good as the team in front of them more often than not, so realistically all you need is a legit starting goalie (Crawford, Niemi, even Quick I think is overrated).

B) Some people think Gillis had nothing to do with the Tortorella hiring and it was all Aquilini.

C) We got swept by the Sharks, did you even watch the series or do you have memory problems? It wasn't that long ago.

Also, after the draft what could have been done differently? Bring back Raymond, who really is suited for the Eastern Conference. Resign Lappierre, who was replaced by Richardson. Maholtra looked like he would never play again. Roy was a bust here.

What could of a new GM done differently? Since we got beat so badly, I wouldn't consider us a cup contender in 2013, how do we all of a sudden become one?

He traded basically a future top Goaltender for basically nothing( Sorry Horvat) although I do think that he'll be a good player just not sure whether he'll be better than Schneids.

It will take at least another two to three years to decide who won the trade. To say, Gillis traded Schneider to the Devils for "basically nothing" is absurd. Once, Horvat has played a significant number of games to the point where we can judge what kind of player he is, then it's reasonable. As of know, who knows? And I'm sure, not only will Horvat be linked with Schneider forever but with Nichushkin as well.

It will take at least another two to three years to decide who won the trade. To say, Gillis traded Schneider to the Devils for "basically nothing" is absurd. Once, Horvat has played a significant number of games to the point where we can judge what kind of player he is, then it's reasonable. As of know, who knows? And I'm sure, not only will Horvat be linked with Schneider forever but with Nichushkin as well.

It's basically a coin flip between nichushkin and Horvat although Nichushkin has turned into a quite interesting quietly producing superstar. What I'm trying to say is that we could've gotten more for Schneids since he had potential to be a franchise goaltender a replacement for Brodeur. Maybe if we got a player like Henrique or Matt Greene, then that could've soften the loss of a franchise goaltender.

Archived