The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Gillis wasn't managing the team last year

Dal Colle

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.

We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)

Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.

Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.

I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.

TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.

That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.

Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.

So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

It's not so much any particular move he made or didn't. To me so far it's his approach and calculation. Clearly it's impossible to know how each will pan out. Mainly it's the fact that he's decisive. Not sitting there wringing his hands and calling to a process.

You're right about the comparison to MG, and Benning looking great either way. Maybe I'll eat my words at the end of the season. I have no illusions that we have a great team, or a contender. Obviously I can be optimistic about that, why wouldn't I want to be, I'm a canucks fan.

What Benning has done in the short time he's been here is overall we've gotten a little younger (Bonino, Vey, Sbisa) and a little tougher (Dorsett). We've got lots of young prospects as well (I realize that's not all Benning's doing), and our future is looking fairly bright.

I think you have to realize that it's not completely up to what Linden/Benning necessarily think is best for this team. Aqua is ultimately the last say in this franchise, and like it or not, he sure as heck should have it. It's his money, his investment. It would be great to have the kind of owner who writes cheques and goes and plays golf all day or something, but we don't have that. We have a guy who likes to stick his nose in. He wants a playoff team, for the playoff dollars, and I think Benning scraped enough together in signings (Miller, Vrbata) to at least give us a shot. Clearly that's also dependent on more than a few players bouncing back from last year. The Sedin's I'm fairly confident about, Burrows mostly so, and Edler...well, hopefully he can fix whatever is between his ears. I understand what you're trying to say about a youth movement in our lineup, but there's still Hansen, Higgins, and Burrows that have NTC's. You can't just move these guys at free will. Besides, we've all seen what a team full of young stars will do at this level (Edmonton), and frankly, our prospect type guys (Gaunce, Horvat, Matthias, Shinkaruk), right now aren't even close to skill level as Hall, Eberle, and RNH.

I think a balanced lineup of vets and rookies makes more sense, with the ability to move young guys in if they earn their spot.

Our new coach seems like a good fit for this group as well. Granted he's completely unproven at the NHL level, but from what I've read, he's a good players-type coach, who is getting to know each player individually. I think that will go a long way in getting the vets to buy-in to a new system. In fact after last season, I think they'll all be chomping at the bit to prove themselves. These guys are professionals, they want to win.

What I predict is that we will be a bubble team by the time trade deadline comes around. Hopefully Benning sees the writing on the wall at that point, and I feel pretty certain he'll be quite open to moving personel to fit his future vision of this team.

I just don't see how you can't find this coming year exciting. So many new faces to watch sink or swim. We can see Kassian and Tanev take another step in their development into top 6 and top 4 players. Question marks like Bonino and Vey and Sbisa will also be pretty darn entertaining to watch. And not to mention the injury plague that always seems to hit us hard, and the young guys being called up to play at any given time.

Try a little optimism. Just because we won't be making a run at the cup doesn't mean this season is a write off.

who has an "exciting GM"?

who has ever had an exciting GM?

Ron Caron was pretty exciting in his time with St Louis,

but for the most part good GMs are pragmatic which by definition is the opposite of exciting.

Are Lombardi, Chirelli (sp?) or Bowman exciting?

I would think, given how exciting the last year in Canuck history has been, "exciting" is about the last thing Canuck fans and players want.

I agree Benning has not done anything exciting but the plus side of that is he did not "go off the board" and draft Patrick White, or "make a splash" and offer sheet David Backes.

If the Canucks look to close at some future deadline and there is an exciting deal to push them over the top, that is when I hope JB makes an exciting move.

I would have found a youth movement more exciting. This team did the safety dance plugging people in and putting glass ceilings to protect the vets. I can see the logic why but it's still boring. I am not like those claiming we are turning into Calgary, we have too many prospects for that but it's time to move on from 2011.

We have no exciting players to fill an oppositions net so it feels like a modified trap is over the horizon, I don't see many players being hungry this season, it's going to be a mediocre team. If we're going to be bad I would prefer it to be exciting for the future (Not tank but get some of our younger guys in there instead of temp plugs)

Miller made no sense to me, he's a great goalie but that's not where we are weak, should have saved that cap until we found out what kind of team we are. I would have been more excited to know we could easily make changes to be competitive at a moments notice, now we will have to live and die by what we have.

Kesler trade bugged me the most. Even if he only gave one team (though I am thinking only one of his teams was able to make a deal) I really don't like seeing the Ducks walk away with Kesler and pick Ritchie. Pure speculation that the 10th pick may have been up for grabs and possible we lucked out with the 24th pick anyways but I don't like relying on luck.

I don't see Vrbata hanging in there on the Sedin line. Not a knock on him but the line will be too soft and the Sedins have always had more success with a grittier player. There is now even less to take the pressure off as Bonino is no replacement for kesler. So unless Kassian can carry a line 2 then line 1 will be all we have and that'll be easy to line match.

TL;DR: If we're gonna fall, I'd rather fall with style.

That said I don't blame Benning for the moves. The team sucks and it's not an easy magic fix. This is not NHL15 and such. I am just not finding anything to get really pumped up about.

Some here are also rating Benning on a scale of their biased hatred of Gillis. Right or wrong with the Gillis hate it's pretty easy for Benning to smell like roses when you compare in such a manner. I'm trying to be more subjective. I think Benning is an upgrade but he's a long way to go before he's above criticism.

So let me ask you and others here that what they are so excited about? Not just "trades!" or "Hated Kesler is gone!" or "Guy that traded my Cody/Lu or didn't play Manny is fired so this new guy is teh rulez!" But an honest assessment of the trades and signings and why they got you guys pumped up and where you'll think we'll be in levels of competitiveness. I trust Benning and Linden to get the job done in the end but for now, it's just bland as a high fiber diet to me.

There's a lot of wrong with what you've said. Of course you're entitled to your opinion but your opinion has run its course as much as what you say is the boring stuff.

1. You don't have to try be more subjective as you already are over the top with subjectivity. I assume you meant you wanted to be more objective, which you certainly aren't. To note, unless you're God, total objectivity is impossible.

Now to hockey.

1. The Canucks signed Miller because there was a gaping hole in goaltending. Was Lack good enough? No. There is a very fine line between winning and losing and Lack was losing because he's just not ready. Whether he's "ready" in three years when Miller's contract expires is now rendered absolutely irrelevant. Benning corrected a wrong Gillis committed by trading both Luongo and Schneider. Miller makes LOADS of sense.

2. Kesler gives one team as trade possibility, and says trade me. Benning abides. Benning got a 2C in Bonino who had more points than Kesler in less TOI, an future T4D who is known to play hard, the 24th pick in 2014 that could turn into a potential 1st line center, and a 3rd, traded to NYR for Dorsett. What is not to like in this? No really? Kesler is a locker room cancer. I would think that the finicky fans who don't want locker room cancers on their team would be very happy with the Kesler trade; Benning is. You're out to lunch if you think Benning didn't get enough.

3. Vrbata is exactly what the Canucks have needed since 2009; scoring. When it comes, you complain. This extra scoring might just put the Canucks over the top in making the playoffs. Will he be with the Sedins the entire season? If he can pot in an extra 20, as Benning says, the Canucks are in business.

4. A youth movement? Really? No wonder you hate the Benning moves. He wants to win, you want to lose. Why? A youth movement kills any chance the Canucks would have. In effect, you're asking for a tank. That means lose on purpose. That makes you a loser. This is not name calling. If you're looking to lose on purpose, that's losing. Only losers want to lose on purpose. And you want to bring in youth? In a losing environment? There's already a test tube of that type; Edmonton. Check out how that's working out.

5. High fiber diet makes you live longer. You're a loser on life too?

Ouch.

who has an "exciting GM"?

who has ever had an exciting GM?

Ron Caron was pretty exciting in his time with St Louis,

but for the most part good GMs are pragmatic which by definition is the opposite of exciting.

Are Lombardi, Chirelli (sp?) or Bowman exciting?

I would think, given how exciting the last year in Canuck history has been, "exciting" is about the last thing Canuck fans and players want.

I agree Benning has not done anything exciting but the plus side of that is he did not "go off the board" and draft Patrick White, or "make a splash" and offer sheet David Backes.

If the Canucks look to close at some future deadline and there is an exciting deal to push them over the top, that is when I hope JB makes an exciting move.

Benning said as much himself.

The season hasn't started yet and there's already so much change.

Getting rid of Booth, Kesler and Garrison and bringing in Bonino, Sbisa, Dorsett, Virtanen and McCann is pretty exciting to me.

The next step is to put the team together and in Bwnning fashion; any prospect that takes a spot will be accommodated. That means there could be further changes to the team rather soon. Let's say Horvat impresses the heck out the coaches and management and wins by a land slide the 2C or 3C position, or he's just plain better than a current roster player. There's a trade right there. How exciting is that?

A few teams have to get under the cap. This teams also have to make moves. The Canucks could dance with most of them. More possible moves.

The Canucks are in great shape.

They still need a solid 1C and a T1D to win it all. But they could so some serious damage.

There's a lot of wrong with what you've said. Of course you're entitled to your opinion but your opinion has run its course as much as what you say is the boring stuff.

1. You don't have to try be more subjective as you already are over the top with subjectivity. I assume you meant you wanted to be more objective, which you certain aren't. To note, unless you're God, total objectivity is impossible.

Now to hockey.

1. The Canucks signed Miller because there was a gaping hole in goaltending. Was Lack good enough? No. There is a very fine line between winning and losing and Lack was losing. He's just not ready. Whether he's "ready" in three years when Miller's contract expires is now rendered absolutely irrelevant. Miller corrected a wrong Gillis committed by trading both Luongo and Schneider. Miller makes LOADS of sense.

2. Kesler gives one team and says trade me. Benning abides. He got a Bonino who had more points in less time played for the same position, an upcoming T4D, a pick that turned into a potential 1st line center, and a 3rd who ended up becoming Dorsett. What is not to like in this? No really? Kesler is a locker room cancer. I would think that the finicky fans who don't want locker room cancers on their team would be very happy with the Kesler trade; Benning is. You're out to lunch if you think Benning didn't get enough.

3. Vrbata is exactly what the Canuxks have needed since 2011; scoring. When it comes, you complain. This extra scoring might just put the Canucks over the top; finally. Will he at with the Sedins? Who cares if he can pot in an extra 20.

4. A youth movement? Really? No wonder you hate the Benning moves. He wants to win, you want to lose. On purpose. That makes you a loser dude. This is not name calling. If you're looking to lose on purpose, that's losing. That's a loser. And you want to bring in youth? In a losing environment? There's already a test tube of that type; Edmonton. Check out how that's working out.

Ouch.

Seems to me that you and I are on the same page bud.

Benning said as much himself.

The season hasn't started yet and there's already so much change.

Getting rid of Booth, Kesler and Garrison and bringing in Bonino, Sbisa, Dorsett, Virtanen and McCann is pretty exciting to me.

The next step is to put the team together and in Bwnning fashion; any prospect that takes a spot will be accommodated. That means there could be further changes to the team rather soon. Let's say Horvat impresses the heck out the coaches and management and wins by a land slide the 2C or 3C position, or he's just plain better than a current roster player. There's a trade right there. How exciting is that?

A few teams have to get under the cap. This teams also have to make moves. The Canucks could dance with most of them. More possible moves.

The Canucks are in great shape.

They still need a solid 1C and a T1D to win it all. But they could so some serious damage.

IMO I thought Garrison was gonna be here for a long time. After last season, he really disappointing is and ultimately led to his departure. He was a home town boy. Many are saying that this was one of Gillis's bad signings which was a long term contract on a 5 yr 35 mill for Jason. If we got 5 yr for 20 mill then he's a steal but he struggled. Also who is Jeff Costello???? We never got a chance to see this guy play. We traded Patrick Mullen for this douche who didnt even play for us. Not even for Utica!!!!! But I'm excited to what jb can bring to the table and hopefully bring back the many years of playoff success this team had.

Uhmmmmmmm we still have exciting players like Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen possibly, Miller, Bonino and tons of other players. No clue to what you mean by "no exciting players"

I agree the Sedins are exciting but Higgins and Hansen? I guess some people are easier to please. I hope Bonino is exciting, but I didn't follow Anaheim outside of when they played the Canucks so I'll wait to see. Please explain how Miller is going to be exiting because I just don't get that at all. I agree with Timberwolf, we lack exciting players.

1. You don't have to try be more subjective as you already are over the top with subjectivity. I assume you meant you wanted to be more objective, which you certain aren't. To note, unless you're God, total objectivity is impossible.

Now to hockey.

1. The Canucks signed Miller because there was a gaping hole in goaltending. Was Lack good enough? No. There is a very fine line between winning and losing and Lack was losing. He's just not ready. Whether he's "ready" in three years when Miller's contract expires is now rendered absolutely irrelevant. Miller corrected a wrong Gillis committed by trading both Luongo and Schneider. Miller makes LOADS of sense.

2. Kesler gives one team and says trade me. Benning abides. He got a Bonino who had more points in less time played for the same position, an upcoming T4D, a pick that turned into a potential 1st line center, and a 3rd who ended up becoming Dorsett. What is not to like in this? No really? Kesler is a locker room cancer. I would think that the finicky fans who don't want locker room cancers on their team would be very happy with the Kesler trade; Benning is. You're out to lunch if you think Benning didn't get enough.

3. Vrbata is exactly what the Canuxks have needed since 2011; scoring. When it comes, you complain. This extra scoring might just put the Canucks over the top; finally. Will he at with the Sedins? Who cares if he can pot in an extra 20.

4. A youth movement? Really? No wonder you hate the Benning moves. He wants to win, you want to lose. On purpose. That makes you a loser dude. This is not name calling. If you're looking to lose on purpose, that's losing. That's a loser. And you want to bring in youth? In a losing environment? There's already a test tube of that type; Edmonton. Check out how that's working out.

Ouch.

So people who disagree with you are losers? Best way to nullify your own points is to result to name calling.

I agree the Sedins are exciting but Higgins and Hansen? I guess some people are easier to please. I hope Bonino is exciting, but I didn't follow Anaheim outside of when they played the Canucks so I'll wait to see. Please explain how Miller is going to be exiting because I just don't get that at all. I agree with Timberwolf, we lack exciting players.

Umm hello Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Fox, Virtanen, Cederholm, McCann and others prospects are exciting players. They're soon going to be ready to make the next step and win some games for the big boys. I'm looking most forward to those players I specified above and hope they help lift the holy grail in the nearby future. Also looking forward to seeing our new Canucks Dorsett, Bonino, Sbisa and Miller play. Hope they continue to do what they're used to doing

Now to hockey.

Ouch.

Where to begin?

I'll give you one thing, yep. I meant objective, congrats. I won't try to justify the mistake, it just is, lets move on, eat your net cookie.

On to hockey indeed:

1: I think Lack would have been fine with vet back-up. I think he is ready, he's not 19 but the age where most goalies become either starters or career back-ups. Goaltending is grossly overrated in this market.

2: Everything you typed about Kesler is an opinion except that he asked for a trade. You do not know there was only 1 team, you do not know what the offers were. You don't get to attack me and then claim you have a first persons perspective on all that has transpired. I don't care that kesler is gone. I am not a great fan of the return but AS I STATED if that's all we can do then so be it. Just don't expect me to do cartwheels about it.

3: How about we revisit this when they actually play a game. Until then I stand by that the Sedin's have had success with grittier players while players less so have moved to line 2. I'd be happy to predict wrong.

4: Yes a youth movement. Out with the old. I never stated tanking as I also think that's for losers and never condoned that. So don't put words in my mouth. Having youth pushing the vets for their jobs would light a fire under their butts and drive them to compete. It's time to lose the country club and get that eye of the tiger back.

5: I stated that kind of diet is bland, not that it wasn't useful. But whatever, you wanted to end with that, go ahead but really, when you see me post like that to my fellow Canuck fans then you can reply in kind.

I am not that guy going "OMG, teh movez are teh failz, lolz!" I just don't expect a season to have much to be hyped about. When the kids start competing for jobs it will be far more fun.

IMO

It's not so much any particular move he made or didn't. To me so far it's his approach and calculation. Clearly it's impossible to know how each will pan out. Mainly it's the fact that he's decisive. Not sitting there wringing his hands and calling to a process.

You're right about the comparison to MG, and Benning looking great either way. Maybe I'll eat my words at the end of the season. I have no illusions that we have a great team, or a contender. Obviously I can be optimistic about that, why wouldn't I want to be, I'm a canucks fan. What Benning has done in the short time he's been here is overall we've gotten a little younger (Bonino, Vey, Sbisa) and a little tougher (Dorsett). We've got l

I would be the one to prefer to eat my words.

Umm hello Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Fox, Virtanen, Cederholm, and others prospects are exciting players. They're soon going to be ready to make the next step and win some games for the big boys. I'm looking most forward to those players I specified above and hope they help lift the holy grail in the nearby future.

None of the players are in the NHL.

I am also very much looking forward to the youth movement, but the roster is full as it stands now. I'm not saying none of those kids can make the team, I just doubt it would be any more than one of them....I hope it's Shinkaruk myself.

Positivity and optimism doesn't necessarily mean wearing blinders. I said what I thought of this team as far as right now. Too many question marks realistically to judge them, simply based on how they look on paper. I do know for sure we ended up 4 wins out of a playoff spot with lots of injuries, what seemed to be unrest in the dressing room, terrible defense, lack of scoring, abysmal special teams, and a rookie goaltender. No reason not to be optimistic going into '14-'15 with the roster and personel shake ups that this franchise has done this off season.

IMO I thought Garrison was gonna be here for a long time. After last season, he really disappointing is and ultimately led to his departure. He was a home town boy. Many are saying that this was one of Gillis's bad signings which was a long term contract on a 5 yr 35 mill for Jason. If we got 5 yr for 20 mill then he's a steal but he struggled. Also who is Jeff Costello???? We never got a chance to see this guy play. We traded Patrick Mullen for this douche who didnt even play for us. Not even for Utica!!!!! But I'm excited to what jb can bring to the table and hopefully bring back the many years of playoff success this team had.

This team has only gotten past the 2nd round 3 times in its 44 years in the NHL, with a 12 and then 17 year gap. When are you referring to exactly?

Archived