The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm sure people may remember my previous posts about potentially starting a side business, I have always been interested in being an entrepreneur but without any formal business schooling or knowledge it is more of a glamorous thought. I'm a bit of a reality show junkie (It's my guilty pleasure and I have my reasons) so I watch Dragons Den/Shark Tank, etc.

I have always been so jealous of people that actually take the plunge and do it (large or small scale!) I have a couple of smaller ideas with minor start up costs. Whenever I get close to starting to put actual pen to paper or keystrokes to emails? I talk myself out of it.

It could be my current situation in limbo waiting on school or my other potential 'career'....it is always just something on my mind, maybe once I get established, i'll start my side hustle!

i was a hwys worker , equipment operator ,snowplow fr. end loader ,grader , back hoe , but also bridge work which entails some carpentry ,concrete work , and hard labour. so when I had to go on disability for rhumeitiod  arthritis I started working carpentry under the table for a buddie of mine , it didn't take long to start doing jobs for people on my own  , 'the grey market' applying my learned skills ,that was it . visiting my parents in comox I seen this little red pick up around Courtney comox , handy man service  do anything , thats what I was going to start up legit, but I 'll leave to building decks, sidewalks, fencing under the table its just simpiler that way at my age . most building contractors dont want anything to do with small deck job or a shed addition ,preferring to do full renovation, leaving an area ,and a good profit margin for someone with lower expectations of self employment ,and/or someone who may not be totally confident or qualified to take on those bigger jobs. bottom line theres always room for a good idea with someone that has ambition. good luck. 

• Cheers 1

i've run a few businesses of my own. my wife kept the books. it is easy to learn that stuff. i never became rich and wished back in those days, i would have worked at a job with a good pension plan. when we're young, we don't see the benefit but older, it is all wishing we were smarter back then. we grow, too soon old and too late smart.

• Cheers 1
17 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm sure people may remember my previous posts about potentially starting a side business, I have always been interested in being an entrepreneur but without any formal business schooling or knowledge it is more of a glamorous thought. I'm a bit of a reality show junkie (It's my guilty pleasure and I have my reasons) so I watch Dragons Den/Shark Tank, etc.

I have always been so jealous of people that actually take the plunge and do it (large or small scale!) I have a couple of smaller ideas with minor start up costs. Whenever I get close to starting to put actual pen to paper or keystrokes to emails? I talk myself out of it.

It could be my current situation in limbo waiting on school or my other potential 'career'....it is always just something on my mind, maybe once I get established, i'll start my side hustle!

A side hustle is exactly that - a tonne of hustle.

I wouldn't NOT do it because of questions about proper training and/or financing, I would just start hustling.

Thats the beauty of it, but also what makes it hard - for the thing to fly you've gotta have a tonne of time and energy or it just eventually turns into a weird hobby. But if you do, you can create your own path and that's pretty exciting.

6 hours ago, nzan said:

A side hustle is exactly that - a tonne of hustle.

I wouldn't NOT do it because of questions about proper training and/or financing, I would just start hustling.

Thats the beauty of it, but also what makes it hard - for the thing to fly you've gotta have a tonne of time and energy or it just eventually turns into a weird hobby. But if you do, you can create your own path and that's pretty exciting.

Ya, exactly...I agree with what both you and @chon derry are saying.

I just need to get settled in my eventual career first. One of the endeavors has very little overhead and would only be a 1 man show for the time being. Only problem is I would need 3-4 strong contracts to make it worth my while. Wouldn't want to be doing a side hustle and breaking even on it haha.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, exactly...I agree with what both you and @chon derry are saying.

I just need to get settled in my eventual career first. One of the endeavors has very little overhead and would only be a 1 man show for the time being. Only problem is I would need 3-4 strong contracts to make it worth my while. Wouldn't want to be doing a side hustle and breaking even on it haha.

this is the confessions thread, or  is it a secret?, or can you confess....:P

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

this is the confessions thread, or  is it a secret?, or can you confess....:P

Hahaha oh, not at all!

It's just a parking lot cleaning business. Simple and has the ability to make some coin.

Not really a secret, anybody in any community can do it, just hopefully not mine before I get to it ;)

My original idea was to start a small company for Veterans picking up trash in neighborhoods or in ditches along the highway. I believe where we live is so nice and we should take pride in where we live. There really wasn't a way to make money for employees by doing this, so I thought if I was to get a few contracts on huge parking lots I could go in early or late hours and remove junk/waste/cig butts everything short of using a commercial sweeper. Generally people charge $30-50 per hour and contracts can have you visiting a site 2-3 times per week.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Hahaha oh, not at all!

It's just a parking lot cleaning business. Simple and has the ability to make some coin.

Not really a secret, anybody in any community can do it, just hopefully not mine before I get to it ;)

My original idea was to start a small company for Veterans picking up trash in neighborhoods or in ditches along the highway. I believe where we live is so nice and we should take pride in where we live. There really wasn't a way to make money for employees by doing this, so I thought if I was to get a few contracts on huge parking lots I could go in early or late hours and remove junk/waste/cig butts everything short of using a commercial sweeper. Generally people charge $30-50 per hour and contracts can have you visiting a site 2-3 times per week.

lots of parking lots by the new hospital , I did notice with all the trips to see my parents the comox valley is very well kept , clean, this last year is the first year I havent travelled there, going to miss those trips. I can understand why my folks chose there to retire

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

lots of parking lots by the new hospital , I did notice with all the trips to see my parents the comox valley is very well kept , clean, this last year is the first year I havent travelled there, going to miss those trips. I can understand why my folks chose there to retire

It's growing and growing, so many people from the mainland coming out here and scooping up houses after selling their vancouver homes. I don't blame them, we will be selling our townhouse for big profit, there have been 2 units in our small 10 unit complex that have both sold 120K higher than original purchase price.

We will probably end up in Vic..I'd like to secure a contract with the base and do ALL of their lots. I know a guy who has the contract to maintain the lawns of the PMQ's and that contract alone covers his business costs, and everything else is gravy for him.

Where abouts in the Valley your folks live, Chon?

2 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

It's growing and growing, so many people from the mainland coming out here and scooping up houses after selling their vancouver homes. I don't blame them, we will be selling our townhouse for big profit, there have been 2 units in our small 10 unit complex that have both sold 120K higher than original purchase price.

We will probably end up in Vic..I'd like to secure a contract with the base and do ALL of their lots. I know a guy who has the contract to maintain the lawns of the PMQ's and that contract alone covers his business costs, and everything else is gravy for him.

Where abouts in the Valley your folks live, Chon?

there both gone now  , my dad passed last year , they lived on birch beside the golf course. second house from the lane. 

Just now, chon derry said:

there both gone now  , my dad passed last year , they lived on birch beside the golf course. second house from the lane. 

Oh man, sorry to hear that..I think I may even have asked you that before. Great little spot there, for sure.

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Oh man, sorry to hear that..I think I may even have asked you that before. Great little spot there, for sure.

it was nice and quite ,close to the mall , a nice big garden,  I think they regreted not going there earlier on. 

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

it was nice and quite ,close to the mall , a nice big garden,  I think they regreted not going there earlier on. 

I'm glad I was at least to live here for a few years. When I was wasting away in Edmonton I couldn't wait any longer.

Even if we do shuttle down to Victoria or end up on the mainland if wife wants reg force with the air force, then i'm happy enough to know I was able to be here for a bit and enjoy some ocean.

2 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm glad I was at least to live here for a few years. When I was wasting away in Edmonton I couldn't wait any longer.

Even if we do shuttle down to Victoria or end up on the mainland if wife wants reg force with the air force, then i'm happy enough to know I was able to be here for a bit and enjoy some ocean.

Victoria is nice ,big city but not crazy big like  Vancouver. 

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Victoria is nice ,big city but not crazy big like  Vancouver. 

No, it's just having to go from townhouse to townhouse.

I don't want to have to pay strata, but I guess this is the world we live in now.