The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

On 5/23/2018 at 4:22 PM, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate it.

hey.. been 2 weeks but hang in there. hard dealing with confidence drops. starts out high but as time continues and the unemployment drags on, it gets seriously tough. what helped me was talking to others who were also going through the same thing.. we supported each other as our egos made serious drops at different times. remember some things aren't in your control. hiring decisions are dependent on lots of things outside of what you have control over - economy, hiring manager, budget, internal politics, industry trends..

one career facilitator once gave us some advice to help avoid that shame that we all felt: don't have your goal as "get a job"; instead, have your goal as something that you have control over: send out 2 applications per week, conduct 5 informational interviews per month, etc.

• Upvote 2

I lost a pair of wireless headphones a couple of months ago.  Thought I left them on my neck while I was doing laundry and lost them in the hallway to my condo, I was pretty choked when they weren't returned.  I looked everywhere at home, even took apart my couch in hopes they slid underneath.  Well I just found them, in my backpack that's got a divider that I never use lol.  Goddammit, I even bought a new pair as a replacement.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I lost a pair of wireless headphones a couple of months ago.  Thought I left them on my neck while I was doing laundry and lost them in the hallway to my condo, I was pretty choked when they weren't returned.  I looked everywhere at home, even took apart my couch in hopes they slid underneath.  Well I just found them, in my backpack that's got a divider that I never use lol.  Goddammit, I even bought a new pair as a replacement.

Anytime this happens to me, I have a  talk with my cat about not hiding things on me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I remember the time I lost my striped sunglasses and oversized ones.  I looked everywhere for those! They were lost for a year, and randomly found them when moving.  I had to settle for the red Sub Pop ones. 

I was grateful when I found them.  There in my CDC pic, and in the Post Yo Pet thread, right next to my lil' precious Sally Jayne!

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, brilac said:

I remember the time I lost my striped sunglasses and oversized ones.  I looked everywhere for those! They were lost for a year, and randomly found them when moving.  I had to settle for the red Sub Pop ones. 

I was grateful when I found them.  There in my CDC pic, and in the Post Yo Pet thread, right next to my lil' precious Sally Jayne!

You're lucky they didn't break.  I lost my in the couch once and they snapped in half.  T'was my favorite pair!

On 02/06/2018 at 11:08 AM, riffraff said:

I flipped the bird to a motor home driver.

first time ever.

mixed emotions afterwards.

Don't second guess yourself

Go with your gut on these road rage problems. The guy probably has a bunch of dogs trapped in kennels, that he never feeds, bumping their heads on those cages as he raddles his way from Alberni to Ukie.

I'd flip him the bird too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/6/2018 at 6:22 AM, Mainly Mattias said:

hey.. been 2 weeks but hang in there. hard dealing with confidence drops. starts out high but as time continues and the unemployment drags on, it gets seriously tough. what helped me was talking to others who were also going through the same thing.. we supported each other as our egos made serious drops at different times. remember some things aren't in your control. hiring decisions are dependent on lots of things outside of what you have control over - economy, hiring manager, budget, internal politics, industry trends..

one career facilitator once gave us some advice to help avoid that shame that we all felt: don't have your goal as "get a job"; instead, have your goal as something that you have control over: send out 2 applications per week, conduct 5 informational interviews per month, etc.

For some reason I didn't get a notification for this.

Thanks! I actually just got part time work as an external consultant for the company I worked for prior to doing my Master's. Takes some of the financial pressure off and they're happy for me to just work until I get a full time position. There was a lot to be critical of in that job but my boss really was a good guy and has done a lot to help me over the last few years. 

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

For some reason I didn't get a notification for this.

Thanks! I actually just got part time work as an external consultant for the company I worked for prior to doing my Master's. Takes some of the financial pressure off and they're happy for me to just work until I get a full time position. There was a lot to be critical of in that job but my boss really was a good guy and has done a lot to help me over the last few years. 

that's good news! yeah i remember you weren't too happy in that company. but anyway, still good news nonetheless. focus on that and ignore the self-doubt and critical inner voice that pops up. hopefully it won't. was just talking to a friend and we have to break off when we recognize the thoughts that lead to spiraling..

59 minutes ago, brilac said:

I confess ~

I was really unhappy when another shopper at the QFC was hogging the candy isle, getting in my way and filling his basket with candy.  I probably would have went for him if he was younger, like 30's or 40's. 

Was he on one of those old person's scooters?  Those people are forever getting in the way!!!  :lol:

Random confession: I used to be pretty obese. I'm quite fit now, and spend most of my free time lifting weights. None of my friends, who are also insanely active people, know that from 16-18 years old I was like 325lbs (I'm 6'2" so it wasn't the worst, but still). One of them saw a picture once, and asked me how come they've never met my "heavier brother' :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BananaMash said:

Random confession: I used to be pretty obese. I'm quite fit now, and spend most of my free time lifting weights. None of my friends, who are also insanely active people, know that from 16-18 years old I was like 325lbs (I'm 6'2" so it wasn't the worst, but still). One of them saw a picture once, and asked me how come they've never met my "heavier brother' :lol:

I was huge during my teenage years. They had me on prozac & respiridone as a kid, and it mad me fat af. I must have been 250-300lbs on a 5'9 frame.

I lost most of the excess weight when I was 16-17, but I'll be damned if I'm not forever conscious of my mass.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Was he on one of those old person's scooters?  Those people are forever getting in the way!!!  :lol:

He was a 50 yo old something.  Just filling his basket, getting in my way.  Maybe we had the same taste in candy.  If he was younger, I probably would have been like - good choice. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, brilac said:

He was a 50 yo old something.  Just filling his basket, getting in my way.  Maybe we had the same taste in candy.  If he was younger, I probably would have been like - good choice. 

So that’s the secret to getting a girl; hang out in the candy isle!  If I only knew this 50 years ago!!!  :lol:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, brilac said:

I confess ~

I was really unhappy when another shopper at the QFC was hogging the candy isle, getting in my way and filling his basket with candy.  I probably would have went for him if he was younger, like 30's or 40's. 

Can I have the movie rights to this confession?

I've already got the title, Sleepless in Seattle 2 - The Sugar Buzz

(I'm not judging...this is coming from a man who had a lousy nights sleep a couple of nights ago because he drank a Dr Pepper slurpee after 5pm)

• Haha 2

I'm now trying to upgrade my highschool math as the math 11 I completed is not recognized by colleges.

I can't believe how hard and confusing math is. I am starting to get those overwhelmed, anxious, anger feelings when it comes to not understanding math...I just cannot make myself understand all this stuff. I have very basic algebra knowledge and now I am doing Foundations of Math 11 and trying to follow along these little video lessons but the guy keeps jumping steps as if i'm expected to know some of this stuff.

I am probably focusing TOO much on a very small part that might show up on the final exam...but STILL, the guy starts breaking down a lesson, then suppose:.......ok, sure, but then 'it can be written as...' wait, WHAT?! how the hell did you get all those letters numbers subtracting...adding...&^@#! I hate math so much.

math.jpg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm now trying to upgrade my highschool math as the math 11 I completed is not recognized by colleges.

I can't believe how hard and confusing math is. I am starting to get those overwhelmed, anxious, anger feelings when it comes to not understanding math...I just cannot make myself understand all this stuff. I have very basic algebra knowledge and now I am doing Foundations of Math 11 and trying to follow along these little video lessons but the guy keeps jumping steps as if i'm expected to know some of this stuff.

I am probably focusing TOO much on a very small part that might show up on the final exam...but STILL, the guy starts breaking down a lesson, then suppose:.......ok, sure, but then 'it can be written as...' wait, WHAT?! how the hell did you get all those letters numbers subtracting...adding...&^@#! I hate math so much.

math.jpg

and if you lived to be 150 years old when, where, why, would you ever be confronted with  or be required to answer a mathematic equation even close or even simpler  than this?

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

math.jpg

I hated Math because much of it is pointless and is rarely applied within a professional environment, depending on what field you go into. It's an important subject obviously but I think too much emphasis is placed upon it.

I was recently rejected for a finance position because I didn't get an A grade in high school math, despite having studied a Business Master's with A grades in finance and accounting.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck