The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

When they say regular vigorous exercise helps ease the symptoms of stress/anxiety they aren't kidding.  My ball hockey group fell apart in April and the physical symptoms of anxiety have slowly built up until it was really affecting how I was getting through a day.  Went for a bit of a run last right and I can already see significant results.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

When they say regular vigorous exercise helps ease the symptoms of stress/anxiety they aren't kidding.  My ball hockey group fell apart in April and the physical symptoms of anxiety have slowly built up until it was really affecting how I was getting through a day.  Went for a bit of a run last right and I can already see significant results.

I’ve been going through a protracted and painful breakup. If it wasn’t for the rec centre and running I’d be even more of a mess.

Gotta love that endorphin buzz.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I’ve been going through a protracted and painful breakup. If it wasn’t for the rec centre and running I’d be even more of a mess.

And no better way to 'focus on yourself' which is important when going through these things.

32 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I started running a couple months ago and I think it saved my life. Same thing, it was a hurtful breakup with my ex best friend/ex gf :(

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I just find it crazy the difference between moderate and vigorous exercise.  I walk a lot, and when I walk I go at a pretty good clip.  I guess it wasn't enough though.

The last few days I had been experiencing I guess what you could call shortness of breath like never before (I could breathe as normal but it didn't feel like the breaths were giving me enough oxygen for the lack of a better way of putting it) as well as some chest discomfort.  After checking in with the doctor to make sure it wasn't something more serious I started to analyse my daily habits.  There hasn't been any sudden painful protracted events like a break up, but rather normal life things that I'm dealing with perfectly fine, but still internalize.  I've always been one of those people that has a sense of impending doom but I try not to let that get in the way of my life.  I consider it a disposition, not a prophecy.  I guess doing that regular exercise where you are not necessarily just sweating, but really working helped me flush away that pent up stress/anxiety.  For me, it doesn't take much.  I was only able to do ball hockey every other week and last night the running portion of my walk probably was about 5 minutes in a couple of stretches but it was enough to flush away almost all of that pent up stress/anxiety.

I hope you can find more and more slices of happiness though the breakup.  Eventually you'll have the pie whole again (if you can excuse the cheesy metaphor, I guess it's close to lunch time).  And let my experience tell you how important it is, now matter how busy you think you are, to take at least a little bit of time each week to go to the rec centre.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just find it crazy the difference between moderate and vigorous exercise.  I walk a lot, and when I walk I go at a pretty good clip.  I guess it wasn't enough though.

4 minutes of HIIT

One of the best drugs ever

Just remember you won't actually die in those 4 minutes

Even though it feels like it  lol

4 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

of?

I’ve been trying the different Howe Sound Brewing products which have all been great and confess that a growler of their Super Jupiter Mango ISA shall be finished before the fireworks. 

22FB3286-DCAF-48EF-9628-660041DC1BC4.jpeg

Powell Street Dive Bomb Porter - its my current favourite

• Cheers 1
23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i drank a growler 

6 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

of?

I’ve been trying the different Howe Sound Brewing products which have all been great and confess that a growler of their Super Jupiter Mango ISA shall be finished before the fireworks. 

22FB3286-DCAF-48EF-9628-660041DC1BC4.jpeg

I haven't had a drink in 7 months.. that sure does look tasty...

27 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Never had a beer in my life, I know I've mentioned that numerous times.  But my word is that beer mixed with mango?  My lord that would be disgusting.  What's next, beer and milk?

You are not missing anything (coming from someone who has never finished a beer in his life)

• Cheers 1