The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

On 7/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, diesel_3 said:

I'm sure people may remember my previous posts about potentially starting a side business, I have always been interested in being an entrepreneur but without any formal business schooling or knowledge it is more of a glamorous thought. I'm a bit of a reality show junkie (It's my guilty pleasure and I have my reasons) so I watch Dragons Den/Shark Tank, etc.

I have always been so jealous of people that actually take the plunge and do it (large or small scale!) I have a couple of smaller ideas with minor start up costs. Whenever I get close to starting to put actual pen to paper or keystrokes to emails? I talk myself out of it.

It could be my current situation in limbo waiting on school or my other potential 'career'....it is always just something on my mind, maybe once I get established, i'll start my side hustle!

You don't have to go to business school to start a business. 

Know your product/service inside and out

Know your market: who, where, when, and how much

Grind like crazy! It might take 70+ hour weeks in the beginning. Put in the work to be successful, but don't work yourself to death.

Keep good records, keep every receipt, and go to a CPA at tax time. Don't try to do business taxes yourself as an entrepreneur without formal education.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1
8 hours ago, J-23 said:

I need friends.

3 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Same

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Same

oh yeah........and Hi  :) 

Overrated. Friends always want to... do stuff. I want to go to work, go to the gym, then cook for myself and spend the evening alone. Friends are always asking to hang out, go to the pub, etc.

6 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Overrated. Friends always want to... do stuff. I want to go to work, go to the gym, then cook for myself and spend the evening alone. Friends are always asking to hang out, go to the pub, etc.

Fine. I do all that stuff too.

I guess I want intermittent friends  lol

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You guys need to get dogs.  Easily the best friends.  They are Honest, trustworthy, loyal, and always happy to see you.  

its true. Dogs really are great to have, can't imagine life without one now. Plus if you rescue one from a pound you're doing a good thing, and that pup will return the favour for years. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Lived in the lower mainland all my life yet I never been to Stanley Park nor have I done the Grouse Grind.  I want to do the GG this summer though, maybe in August when I am on holidays.

I do too!  I've been thinking of flying up on a weekday, then taking the Sea bus, and then that bus to Grouse Mountain, and then taking the bus back to Seattle.  I should see when the latest bus is.  I'm highly considering it once the weather cools down a bit, as well as putting on my running shoes, taking my fanny pack to put my passport, money, phone, and sunscreen in, and a water bottle.

• Cheers 1

An older gentleman lit up after encountering me today because I look just like his grandson, that was kinda neat

I also sat on a dock at the lake and eavesdropped on a man likely in his forties admonish a group of three young boys for going too far out in the lake, kept telling them to be careful because two of em only had floaty foam boards and kept telling em to stay together and work as a team to be safe

It was a bittersweet reminder of my aging and mortality, we're all running out of time

Watched a group of men in their thirties &^@# around in the mid shallows whooping and hollering and wished I had a group of friends I could get together with like that

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

An older gentleman lit up after encountering me today because I look just like his grandson, that was kinda neat

I also sat on a dock at the lake and eavesdropped on a man likely in his forties admonish a group of three young boys for going too far out in the lake, kept telling them to be careful because two of em only had floaty foam boards and kept telling em to stay together and work as a team to be safe

It was a bittersweet reminder of my aging and mortality, we're all running out of time

Watched a group of men in their thirties &^@# around in the mid shallows whooping and hollering and wished I had a group of friends I could get together with like that

Maybe put out a call for CDC members to "flash mob" a beach somewhere in the lower mainland. Wished I lived down there, I'd be into showing up. :) But with my body, it better not be Wreck Beach. :(

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Same bro, I don't even enjoy paying video games or sitting on my phone, it just gets me through the day.

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Maybe put out a call for CDC members to "flash mob" a beach somewhere in the lower mainland. Wished I lived down there, I'd be into showing up. :) But with my body, it better not be Wreck Beach. :(

I'm an islander but that'd be neat :P

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

Same bro, I don't even enjoy paying video games or sitting on my phone, it just gets me through the day.

I just try and bury myself in hobby stuff mostly tbh, but there's a lot of small moments like that one that I encounter and they make me kinda sad

They're beautiful little moments of life but I want em too you know

On 7/13/2018 at 2:43 PM, Tre Mac said:

Lived in the lower mainland all my life yet I never been to Stanley Park nor have I done the Grouse Grind.  I want to do the GG this summer though, maybe in August when I am on holidays.

>arrives at GG

>it's big... i guess

>maybe TOO big

>maybe next year.