The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Don't blame religion for rise of ISIS

TheMohammadman

Hah, in Saudi Arabia they've long ruled over their people by monarchy. So they believe they were owed all of the oil royalties, which is why they hoard it for themselves. They didn't make all the other Saudis rich too, just themselves and their kin. Yet they preached collectivism, enforcing this idea that militant-like blind faith gets you rewarded, denying education, denying technological advancements that would stand to benefit everyone else, because it would encourage individual thought that challenges the status quo. And because they're likewise seen as religious leaders, a bunch of idiots believed this thought process is divine.

I've yet to see where the "good" in these beliefs lies.

Of course, then I read that the religion the ISIS practices, which is only barely an extreme version of the Muslim religion, is not to blame for the religion the ISIS follows. Which makes no sense at all.

There is stuff I would like to tell you guys more about the government of Saudi Arabia, but for my safety it would be better for me no to.

A guy here got 20 years in jail just for insulting the king. :picard:

These Saudi Kings are all corrupt, and they do not run by proper Islamic Law. (Cannot say more :()

They are unjust dictators just like Mubarak of even Assad in my opinion.

Most Saudis here think that for some reason they are of higher status than any other type of Arab, Other Muslims (Pakistanis, Indians, Iranians, Turkish)

This is an example of how they treat non-Saudis at there borders, it sickening. Their government here brainwashes its people that its the best country in the world.

This is Pure Racism. Not Allowed in Islam.

I wish to ellaborate, but the more I speak, the more bad things come out of my mouth.

The Only good places here with actual nice people are Makkah and Medina.

There is stuff I would like to tell you guys more about the government of Saudi Arabia, but for my safety it would be better for me no to.

These Saudi Kings are all corrupt, and they do not run by proper Islamic Law. (Cannot say more :()

Most Saudis here think that for some reason they are of higher status than any other type of Arab, Other Muslims (Pakistanis, Indians, Iranians, Turkish)

This is an example of how they treat non-Saudis at there borders, it sickening. Their government here brainwashes its people that its the best country in the world.

I wish to ellaborate, but the more I speak, the more bad things come out of my mouth.

I just hope things change for you.

It's not to say things here in North America are fantastic -- we certainly have our own problems.

Because we want to study how they had developed and apply their lessons and experiences to the world today.

Although we've sort of backtracked on the freedom aspect of late, I would say we've sufficiently separated ourselves from the type of rule that disallows people the freedom to express themselves, or to be financially successful (minus the "entitlement" attitude).

What would be really cool is if, here in Canada, we'd kill off any remaining ties to the monarchy. It's just embarrassing.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/336918-would-we-be-better-off-without-the-royals/

Certainly Hello Magazine would take a hit, but wouldn't the collective wealth of Brit royals, be put to better use elsewhere? Like helping that country out in times of economic uncertainty? Or perhaps by giving the money to various charities so the starving and uneducated no longer have to be?

Or should they be kept around so they can rule over their glorious empire through the tabloids? I for one can't wait for what, if any, significance King William will have on western society during his reign.

If you take all the collective wealth of the royal families, including the oil royals, the church, the greedy, soulless coorporate bigwigs, and the rest of the capitalist elite, and distibute it among the masses, you would find that the world would essentially be saved. (As long as some people don't become more equal than others, i suppose.)

Are you Shia or Sunni?

Of course religion has something to do with it. Once the Shia's came into power the Sunni's were not happy campers. ISIS in Iraq are made up of Sunni's.

The most recent comparison in Christianity would be when the factions in Catholic Northern Ireland were in a state of war with Protestants factions in Southern Ireland.

However ISIS is much more brutal and many many more people will be outright slaughtered by them.

Here is an 8 minute New York Times documentary about an Iraqi Shia soldier who escaped from ISIS.

Be warned that there are graphic parts in the documentary.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/middleeast/100000003077656/surviving-isis-massacre-iraq.html

Of course religion has something to do with it. Once the Shia's came into power the Sunni's were not happy campers. ISIS in Iraq are made up of Sunni's.

The most recent comparison in Christianity would be when the factions in Catholic Northern Ireland were in a state of war with Protestants factions in Southern Ireland.

However ISIS is much more brutal and many many more people will be outright slaughtered by them.

Here is an 8 minute New York Times documentary about an Iraqi Shia soldier who escaped from ISIS.

Be warned that there are graphic parts in the documentary.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/middleeast/100000003077656/surviving-isis-massacre-iraq.html

Great source. And other videos there are also very high quality and IMO good reporting.

"Don't blame religion for the rise of ISIS"

I won't....I'll blame bad parenting...or NO parenting.

What do we know about Hitler's father & mother, anyway? I know that the doctor at the time of his mother's death was Jewish. Do ya mean to say, many of these hellish things that happen in our world could simply be prevented by a little bit of early intervention & councilling? Who knew?

Religion is bad.

Religion is good. It's people - who go off of their rockers!

Religion can be exploited anywhere, as an excuse to committ greedy frauds on confused, vulnerable or hurting people. Blind faith... is when followers do not even attempt to seek-out some internal confirmation for themselves of "what is true",... especially in the context of weighing-out for oneself with the help of a loving God, concepts as good vs evil or right vs wrong...& what could or should be done about such things.

There have been wars & disputes involving millions of people all over Europe & North America for generations. These disputes could be over land, wealth, cultures, borders, rights & freedoms.... but, essentially the fear, evil sickness, greed, power-mongering, or revenge,... of a nasty or powerful few...are typically the chief motivating factors in seeking-out violence, blood-thirst & war. Boundaries between nations have changed & altered often over-time,... yet how the victors have treated the vanquished,...or the basic civilian populations during those disputes & war-time skirmishes, has gone a long way in determining whether they have peaceful existances within their territories or in global society, now or not.

Obviously, the leaders of ISIS aren't interested, in peace....ever! Well, not in their temporal lifetimes, at least. They're clearly some marauding warlords, who steal children from their parents, in-doctrinate fear & hatred, then preach terrorism & perpetual genocidal war as a life-time of existance. That's freakin' insanity! Then again,.. the nonsense of reality-TV in America, looks pretty insane, & doesn't really reflect the majority of citizens who make-up American, Christian, or western cultures, either. No wonder we disgust them!

I really appreciate all of the muslim-content pervading Hollywood these days & other media, with more positive depictions of those who practice Islamic Law. Thank-you "Little Mosque on the Prairie". Perhaps potential ISIS recruits just need to see some more re-runs of that or maybe some episodes of "Leave it to Beaver"? Who wasn't or isn't still charmed by that show?! Lets' pay or barter a way to run these shows daily on 'al-gezeera' as counter-propaganda.. & see if it helps. Free TVs & cable, anyone?

:bigblush:

Religion can be exploited anywhere, as an excuse to committ greedy frauds on confused, vulnerable or hurting people. Blind faith is when followers do not even attempt to seek-out the internal confirmation for themselves of "what is true",... especially in the context of weighing-out for oneself such concepts as good vs evil or right vs wrong...& what could or should be done about such things. There have been wars & disputes involving millions of people all over all of Europe & North America for generations,....often arising from disputes over land, wealth, cultures, borders, rights & freedoms. But, evil sickness, greed, power-mongering or revenge ..by or of a nasty few...are usually the chief motivating factors in seeking-out violence & war. The Boundaries of nations, have changed & altered often over-time,... yet how the victors have treated the vanquished,...or the basic civilian citizens populations during those negotiations, disputes, or war-time skirmishes, has gone a very long way in determining whether they have peaceful futures on the globe, today.

Obviously, the leaders of ISIS are not interested, in peace....ever! They're like marauding warlords, stealing children from their parents, in-doctrinating fear, & then preaching war, terrorism, genocide & hatred...as a life-time of existance. That's insanity! Then again, the nonsense of reality-TV in America, looks pretty insane, & doesn't really reflect the majority of citizens who make-up American, Christian, or western cultures, either. No wonder we disgust them.

I really appreciate all of the muslim-content that is pervading Hollywood these days & in other media, with positive dipictions of those who practice Islamic Law. Thank-you "Little Mosque on the Prairie". Perhaps potential ISIS recruits just need to see some more re-runs of "Leave it to Beaver",... like who wasn't charmed by that show? Just pay to run these shows daily on al-gezeera as counter-propaganda. See if it helps. Free TVs & cable anyone?

Yes, I agree. No religion in this world teaches someone to be racist, unjust, or evil. Some flowers of different religions tend to do otherwise.

As for the Blind Faith part, I agree again. That is why many Muslims (including myself), say that the Muslim world needs to become closer to Islam. We are not talking about ISIS or the Al-Qaeda type of Islam. We are talking about the true Islam that was taught by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Religion can be exploited anywhere, as an excuse to committ greedy frauds on confused, vulnerable or hurting people. Blind faith... is when followers do not even attempt to seek-out some internal confirmation for themselves of "what is true",... especially in the context of weighing-out for oneself with the help of a loving God, concepts as good vs evil or right vs wrong...& what could or should be done about such things.

There have been wars & disputes involving millions of people all over Europe & North America for generations. These disputes could be over land, wealth, cultures, borders, rights & freedoms.... but, essentially the fear, evil sickness, greed, power-mongering, or revenge,... of a nasty or powerful few...are typically the chief motivating factors in seeking-out violence, blood-thirst & war. Boundaries between nations have changed & altered often over-time,... yet how the victors have treated the vanquished,...or the basic civilian populations during those disputes & war-time skirmishes, has gone a long way in determining whether they have peaceful existances within their territories or in global society, now or not.

Obviously, the leaders of ISIS aren't interested, in peace....ever! Well, not in their temporal lifetimes, at least. They're clearly some marauding warlords, who steal children from their parents, in-doctrinate fear & hatred, then preach terrorism & perpetual genocidal war as a life-time of existance. That's freakin' insanity! Then again,.. the nonsense of reality-TV in America, looks pretty insane, & doesn't really reflect the majority of citizens who make-up American, Christian, or western cultures, either. No wonder we disgust them!

I really appreciate all of the muslim-content pervading Hollywood these days & other media, with more positive depictions of those who practice Islamic Law. Thank-you "Little Mosque on the Prairie". Perhaps potential ISIS recruits just need to see some more re-runs of that or maybe some episodes of "Leave it to Beaver"? Who wasn't or isn't still charmed by that show?! Lets' pay or barter a way to run these shows daily on 'al-gezeera' as counter-propaganda.. & see if it helps. Free TVs & cable, anyone?

Well Spiritualism is great but I can't condone one group of people thinking they are holier, better, mightier, and more deserved than the rest and that one group will be saved while the other will be slaughtered. Kind of not good for the human race.

I find organized factions of people pitting themselves against others in the name of things no one fully understands is never the solution.

Religion is bad.

I prefer to explain it from their perspective.

For example, people who slaughter indiscriminately in the name of religion think they are doing "good".

Edit: Anyways, lets at least look at the acronym.

Islamic state of Iraq and Syria, who among their stated goals is to eliminate religious minorities. So far they have been quite successful. I think you're in for quite an uphill battle if you want to argue religion has nothing to do with any of this.

It is not about religion per se, or even what type of religion. It's irrational thinking and belief in faith above all else. This sets people up for brainwashing or mind control, unable to make decisions for themselves. They feel the urge to conform to a group in order to be accepted. Religion is purely man made, and I emphasize men, not women. It is a great instrument of control, and therefore every society has some form of it.

Archived