Canucks Community

Canucks prospect Bo Horvat primed for rookie showcase

TheRussianRocket.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Matthias-Vey-Richardson

Dorsett

With the bottom two lines sharing ice time. All the successful teams now have 4 lines that can score.

You've taken a veteran who was a top 20 faceoff guy in the NHL last year and put him on the wing beside a rookie.

Richardson is a center and I'm betting he'll will remain one.

Completely agree...Just as everyone was screaming for Coho, who wasn't ready, people are screaming for Bo. They are very similar players other than Bo is bigger, and slightly faster but apart from that not 'significantly' .

You've got to be kidding. Making a claim like this just after suggesting other posters should 'lay off the crack pipe' is some pretty strong ironing.

In this era you see 18yr olds play all the time now.

First of all, Bo is 19, not 18, so there's that. .

15 players at the age of 19 made the NHL last year.

Monahan and Galchenyuk scored 30 +pts.

Jones,Rielly,Girgensons,Lindholm and Maata scored 20+ pts.

Wilson tallied 10 points.

One scored six points and the rest were five points or fewer.

Four-18 year olds played.-MacKinnon,Barkov and Nishushkin contributed in a meaningful fashion.

Zadorov scored one point in 7 games played.That's it.

Seven -19 year old players meaningfully contributed last season while three-18 year olds played meaningful roles.

Ten players in total.

30 teams

23 man active roster

690 NHL starters

138 players / 20% turnover -injuries

828 active NHL players per season

10 - 18 /19 year olds = .0012% of all NHL players

for me, it's not about hoping for a young guy to make the team. guys like b.r., mathias, dorsett etc. are all nhl players (vey still is not so let's all temper our expectations on the guy). prospects are far from being nhl players until they are. all i want to see is some glimpses of promise this pre season. some stand out moments that make me feel like we have players coming up that will SOON be good nhl players. i wish this young stars tourny wasn't billed as such a shinny/showcase type thing and more of a tryout thing. more hits, more intensity, the odd dust up! these young guys need to play to win and play for each other and for the canucks.

15 players at the age of 19 made the NHL last year.

Monahan and Galchenyuk scored 30 +pts.

Jones,Rielly,Girgensons,Lindholm and Maata scored 20+ pts.

Wilson tallied 10 points.

One scored six points and the rest were five points or fewer.

Four-18 year olds played.-MacKinnon,Barkov and Nishushkin contributed in a meaningful fashion.

Zardov scored one point in 7 games played.That's it.

Seven -19 year old players meaningfully contributed last season while three-18 year olds played meaningful roles.

Ten players in total.

30 teams

23 man active roster

690 NHL starters

138 players / 20% turnover -injuries

828 active NHL players per season

10 - 18 /19 year olds = .0012% of all NHL players

yeah montreal sure finds ways to get their draft picks into the line up. pretty good track record of late. tinordi next season?

I think Horvat can make the team. He showed enough last year that he could've. I mean, who's blocking his path, exactly?

We should see a lot of icetime by all the young kids who can play. That's pretty much what was missing last season. Excitement about the future. Energy. Depth. Change is coming. Etc.

You've got to be kidding. Making a claim like this just after suggesting other posters should 'lay off the crack pipe' is some pretty strong ironing.

Ironing? not doing any ironing sorry! LOL!

To your point...Coho and Horvat are similar players friend, but I qualify it by saying Bo is a better skater and bigger but their upsides are the same.

CoHo was captain Canada, actually had better stats in Junior that Horvat

He is 6'0 185

Offensivlely better and in his draft year actually considered an excellent 2 way player with character and leadership, its why he was drafted so high.

Bo

6'0 206 - ie Bigger. Is a better skater but his skating is not his strength, ie he's no Shinkaruk

Also expected to be the Captain of the Canadian world Junior team, considered an excellent 2 way player with character and leadership, its why he was taken 'off the board' and drafted higher than expected.

You may have issues with CoHo now after seeing we were wrong about him but in his draft year friend vs Bo's draft year these two players would be considered marginally different, One has more points, one has more size and slightly better skating, everything else is the same...

Think deeper....

Also, I am not saying Horvat will be like Coho what I said was at this stage (19 yrs old) there is plenty of similarities in their projections.

Benning does have an established history with his teams seasoning their draftpicks though. Perhaps the youth movement will be put on hold for the time being. We do have a lineup to dress in the meantime. Should be interesting to see what happens with Bo (and Gaunce.)

Many here think being an overager in Junior will 'hurt' Horvat.

Umm last time I checked Ryan Strome went back to Junior then the AHL when the Isles despearately needed him, perhaps they learned from busting Josh Bailey and rushing him into the league.

Here are some other players than went back

Ryan Strome

Emersen Etem

Tyler Toffoli

Nazem Kadri

Calvin De Haan

Dougie Hamilton

Mark Scheifle

Jordon Eberle

Logan Couture

On and on...folks saying going back to Junior is going to hurt him have no clue what they are talking about...

In addition, moving a vet like Higgins / Hansen when they play extremely valuable roles and the guy filling it isn't close to as good as them is pure stupidity now and in the future.

Now - he's not as good so it creates issues - this is reality sorry. A 19 yr old in his first year who hasn't played a game in the NHL is never going to be as good in his first or even second year as Higgins or Hansen at what those two bring to the team (and the game). If you think this you have never laced them up...sorry but that is reality, the roles they play are invaluable and are not 'easy' they are just as hard as what the sedins do and arguably harder as they play very very important minutes and roles, especially come playoff race / playoff time.

Future - one of those guys is gone and in 2 years Bo moves up the roster. Now who plays the role of that excellent 3rd liner - no one. Now we have a new hole to fill, before we had two great 3rd liners/vets/leaders. But, we filled one of those spots with a rookie who isn't that type of player (really isn't his long term role), who certainly couldn't fill it as well during his time in that role, and so therefore now we need someone else to fill that void who can actually excel in that role. Again have made the team weaker in the future as well.

Its about understanding your assets and maximizing their usefulness both now and in the future. In addition, many here seem to be forgetting Vey has 4 yrs of pro experience Jensen has 2 years AHL and a bit in the NHL. so we just dump them in the minors and stall their development even though they are likely more pro ready given their experience?

Why? Because Bo is a saviour? Look at the names I listed, did sending them back to junior hurt them? No chance it did.

If Bo gets a spot great, its because he shows in preseason and his 9 games he can contribute BETTER than the players he's competing with

NOT because sending him back to junior will 'hurt' his development, because it won't.

And in my view, which we won't see till after camp and his 9 games, he isn't at a stage where he's ready to over take those players because simply pro experience matters in the NHL....something many here don't seem to want to accept.

If a couple injuries hit our forward group it might be a good thing for Horvat. I don't think playing on the 4th line is the best thing for him so if a couple injuries hit then playing on the 3rd line might be a possibility for him if he's ready.

Assuming he's ready, he might not be the only one fighting for a spot. Gaunce might be ready for a NHL spot and could possibly beat out Horvat even if Horvat is ready but I think if Horvat is ready Benning will keep him on the roster since Gaunce can go to the AHL and be called up whenever.

Ironing? not doing any ironing sorry! LOL!

To your point...Coho and Horvat are similar players friend, but I qualify it by saying Bo is a better skater and bigger but their upsides are the same.

CoHo was captain Canada, actually had better stats in Junior that Horvat

He is 6'0 185

Offensivlely better and in his draft year actually considered an excellent 2 way player with character and leadership, its why he was drafted so high.

Bo

6'0 206 - ie Bigger. Is a better skater but his skating is not his strength, ie he's no Shinkaruk

Also expected to be the Captain of the Canadian world Junior team, considered an excellent 2 way player with character and leadership, its why he was taken 'off the board' and drafted higher than expected.

You may have issues with CoHo now after seeing we were wrong about him but in his draft year friend vs Bo's draft year these two players would be considered marginally different, One has more points, one has more size and slightly better skating, everything else is the same...

Think deeper....

Also, I am not saying Horvat will be like Coho what I said was at this stage (19 yrs old) there is plenty of similarities in their projections.

k.

if you say so.

That's deeper alright.

Schneider being the 6th best goalie is just an opinion, it's not a fact.

But even if he is, you say that we gave up the 6th best goalie for the 9th overall pick, which isn't true. We gave up the "6th best goalie" for Bo Horvat. Since no one knows what Horvat is going to turn into at this point, you can't say outright that it was a bad deal.

Schneider wasn't ranked as high at the time we traded him either.

Don't disagree with you, however NHL.com has released their rankings and Schneider is listed as the 6th best goaltender of 14 whereas Horvat is ranked #23 of the current top 60 prospects. Read into it what you will (not saying NHL.com are impartial) but I find CDC tends to overrate our guys. It was a shock to see Bo at #23 after reading how CDC raves about him.

One thing is for sure, NJ is set for goaltending.

Archived