The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scotland Independence?

Heretic

After 2 minutes on google I found this. It seems to make a nonsense of what you are saying.

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/10-key-economic-facts-that-prove-scotland-will-be-a-wealthy-independent-nation/

Screen-Shot-2013-12-30-at-16.22.11.png3.

Your link displays this pie-chart which shows me that 26% of the Scottish economy is government-funded, which means a quarter of the economy is producing no wealth at all and is actually consuming it like a parasite leeching off of the production of the other three-quarters.

Or it could afford to do so only because they won the geological lottery of having oil deposits within it's borders/EEZ, which they think entitles them to defy the laws of economics with more welfare-statism, because it "increases aggregate-demand and thus, GDP".

The utter rubbish that is Keynesian economics.

Pretty sure is not true and u need to know that the prime minister of UK just went to scotland to explaine why the UK should remain united free and together instead of this hate and separation atempts by some ungrateful Scottish people. I have family who had scottish workers working for them and there good people and they all want to stay with the UK family and now the prime minister is confirming it that they need to stay. Its whats good for the entire UK

Forgive me if I have difficulty understanding your nearly incomprehensible English. Basically you're expecting the Scots to be grateful for the right to pay a lot of taxes to the Westminster government (which they overwhelmingly voted AGAINST), while receiving little benefit in return? And you're considering the British PM to be a legit source on the matter? I'll trust our Scottish board members' opinions over that poorly written drivel.

Pretty sure is not true and u need to know that the prime minister of UK just went to scotland to explaine why the UK should remain united free and together instead of this hate and separation atempts by some ungrateful Scottish people. I have family who had scottish workers working for them and there good people and they all want to stay with the UK family and now the prime minister is confirming it that they need to stay. Its whats good for the entire UK

I'm gonna +1 you just for how much catch your bait is going to bring in.

Your link displays this pie-chart which shows me that 26% of the Scottish economy is government-funded, which means a quarter of the economy is producing no wealth at all and is actually consuming it like a parasite leeching off of the production of the other three-quarters.

Or it could afford to do so only because they won the geological lottery of having oil deposits within it's borders/EEZ, which they think entitles them to defy the laws of economics with more welfare-statism, because it "increases aggregate-demand and thus, GDP".

Not a fan of the animal spirits eh? That's fair, but why do you keep referring to it when it has nothing to do with your post?

Not a fan of the animal spirits eh? That's fair, but why do you keep referring to it when it has nothing to do with your post?

So long as people think GDP= C+I+G+(X-M) and where G spending is viewed positively, then it has something to do with the post.

+1 for the 'animal spirits' however, didn't see that change-up coming...

So long as people think GDP= C+I+G+(X-M) and where G spending is viewed positively, then it has something to do with the post.

+1 for the 'animal spirits' however, didn't see that change-up coming...

Positive is the wrong descriptor. Viewed as necessary is a better way of looking at it.

Anyways....I hope the Scots vote yes; and I'm an Englishman.

Positive is the wrong descriptor. Viewed as necessary is a better way of looking at it.

Okay, I was a small-government, night-watchman state, libertarian for a long before going full anarcho-capitalist within the last few years so I can still understand and empathize with the reasoning for the perceived need for a government to provide certain basic services.

If the government can be kept small to only provide basic services, and the taxes/user fees necessary to pay for these services are small enough that the time and effort required to avoid/evade them are more than paying the taxes itself, then I am willing to consider the place for residence and investment.

Anyways....I hope the Scots vote yes; and I'm an Englishman.

What's next, Spurs fans cheering for Arsenal?

Well I have no real horse in this race but I was speaking to my great uncle and he says it is just as well you are not calling him "ungrateful Scottish People" to his face.

The Scots are sick of people telling them what's best for them. They are sick of being taken for a ride.

I'm sorry but I don't know enough to debate it with you but it seems to me that it is not where a country is on the day of independence it is where they think they will be in 10, 20, 30 40 years time.

Scotland survives on allowance from the UK government and it is less than they pay in. That is no way to run an economy because the more tax you generate the more you pay to the UK treasury but you still get a set amount back. How do you develop an economy like that?

Scotland has massive potential in renewable energy and should be 100% self sufficient by 2020. Oil and gas is a bonus, much of it still to be discovered to the West of Scotland but seismic investigations show huge potential.

Scotland's exports are higher per capita than the rest of the UK

Your remark about the 23% public sector is interesting. (this however includes the NHS, Emergency Services and Education)

That figure, it seems is the direct result of UK policies as they have sucked all the growth and skills from not only Scotland but Wales, Northern Ireland the North East and the North West of England.

It is not easy to see the true figures or potential for an Independent Scotland but any country that can perform so well with an economy that has little incentive to increase output other than provide jobs must be comparable to other economies of a similar size in Europe (Employment and unemployment is better marginally than England.)

Personally if I lived in Scotland I would go for it. After all when you hear about the propaganda, threats and intimidation being heaped on them by the UK government and media, they must have either a huge potential or a huge value.

This alone seems a reasonable motive for the Scots to go for self determination.

AjxGhX1.png

HulItsW.png

Scottish Canuck, what is your gut feeling on the outcome. My great uncle says his impression is the yes side should be showing higher in the polls than they are quoted. Certainly your photos seem to show a popular rising.

Is this your feeling?

When will the final result be known

Out on the streets and looking at people's windows etc. you would think that the Yes side is well ahead. You see the odd No campaigner out and about but I'd say the vast majority in town this weekend were Yes supporters. I do think that Yes supporters are more vocal about the issue though.

You also have to take into account how people in different towns and cities are voting. Glasgow, in my opinion, is an overwhelming yes. Edinburgh is a no. Aberdeen is probably 50/50, maybe edging towards no. I'd say that the Highlands and Islands are yes with the Borders a no.

Whatever side wins it will probably be close. I hope and believe that a yes vote will prevail at about 55% (touch wood). We should know the result on Friday.

^ Yup. The British media has been everything but unbiased through this whole process. To the point where I was mostly neutral to begin with, but the fear mongering by the media really has pushed me towards hoping the Yes vote comes out on top.

Also:

I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Thanks! :)

Out on the streets and looking at people's windows etc. you would think that the Yes side is well ahead. You see the odd No campaigner out and about but I'd say the vast majority in town this weekend were Yes supporters. I do think that Yes supporters are more vocal about the issue though.

You also have to take into account how people in different towns and cities are voting. Glasgow, in my opinion, is an overwhelming yes. Edinburgh is a no. Aberdeen is probably 50/50, maybe edging towards no. I'd say that the Highlands and Islands are yes with the Borders a no.

Whatever side wins it will probably be close. I hope and believe that a yes vote will prevail at about 55% (touch wood). We should know the result on Friday.

what about all the harry potter fans?

Took this outside the BBC building in Glasgow today. Probably about 3,000 out unhappy with the BBC's portrayal of the lead up to the vote.

suy9a9.jpg

And this was Buchanan St yesterday.

308314-yes-supporters-in-buchanan-street

Lookin' good. I was browsing through my pictures of my time in Glasgow, and boy do I miss it.

what about all the harry potter fans?

JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe are both in the "No" camp.

They are both English however, so that's almost expected.

Are there any famous Scots that are championing the No vote? I know Sean Connery is firmly on the Yes side, and David Tennant has refused to give an opinion.

Lookin' good. I was browsing through my pictures of my time in Glasgow, and boy do I miss it.

JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe are both in the "No" camp.

They are both English however, so that's almost expected.

Are there any famous Scots that are championing the No vote? I know Sean Connery is firmly on the Yes side, and David Tennant has refused to give an opinion.

Rowling lives in Scotland tho...

Rowling lives in Scotland tho...

Maybe some Scottish posters can shed some light on this, but it doesn't really seem that English people living in Scotland get all the perks that Scots do. I'm almost certain that for starters they don't get to go to uni for free there. And as someone who is English, does she stand to lose anything if Scotland breaks off from the UK? Will her living in Scotland now require extra paperwork? Will she need to apply for permanent residency?

I like JK Rowling, but everyone's got their reasons and personal biases. It shouldn't matter what she thinks anyway; the best way to vote is by getting informed and making your own decision, not by doing what your favourite author/actor tells you to do.

Maybe some Scottish posters can shed some light on this, but it doesn't really seem that English people living in Scotland get all the perks that Scots do. I'm almost certain that for starters they don't get to go to uni for free there. And as someone who is English, does she stand to lose anything if Scotland breaks off from the UK? Will her living in Scotland now require extra paperwork? Will she need to apply for permanent residency?

I like JK Rowling, but everyone's got their reasons and personal biases. It shouldn't matter what she thinks anyway; the best way to vote is by getting informed and making your own decision, not by doing what your favourite author/actor tells you to do.

As long as you're resident in Scotland for three years prior to starting university you're entitled to free tuition, regardless of nationality.

English residents are also entitled to free prescriptions if they're permanent residents of Scotland. She need not apply for residency either.

Archived