The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scotland Independence?

Heretic

True but u others should vote no cause cameron and the other two major uk politicisans are calling for more powers and welfares for the scots. Is a good deal i think unity is the most important thing to consider before voteing

If unity existed, independence would not even be an issue. This has been a long time coming. As a Scot, I applaud this whole-heartedly. I can't vote but my sentiments are on the yes side. Yes!!!!

Further more I was sent a copy of their statement today and it doesn't even highlight what the additional powers are to be. Why would the Scots trust them?

lt6Kmg4.png

With 2 days to go they are grasping for extra votes on the "No" side for sure. The thing I am wondering is how many Scottish citizens feel like this newly promised political power will actually benefit them, and not just those playing politics.

If I were on the fence about it before this would certainly drive me towards a "Yes"* vote because after all, you're right. Why wait 2 days before the referendum to make this public. Last ditch effort when they would have preferred to give the Scottish Parliament nothing, but realize that the vote is too close to gamble on so they try this.

Too little too late?

*I have no vote as a Canadian citizen so what I would do doesn't really matter I suppose, I do find this interesting though. The UK has, potentially, lots to lose with Scotland claiming independence.

edit: FREE MILK!!! Is that part of the offer if you vote?! :lol:

They say we'll get extra powers but a couple of Conservative MP's have come out today and claimed that if we're offered them then they'll veto them.

Christopher Chope has told the BBC that there are enough back bench Conservative MPs in Parliament who are against more powers going to Scotland in the event of a No vote and who would vote against such a move.

Chope was discussing more powers on BBC Radio 4 when he was asked if he accepted that Westminster had now lost the power to veto further devolution as outlined by Gordon Brown this week. The MP replied: "No, I don't accept anything has been lost. If there is a No vote then it will be the status quo".

Challenged by the presenter that it would not be no change, Chope replied: "It will be, because we can't change the constitution without the approval of the United Kingdom Parliament and that seems to have been lost in this debate."

He added: "If for example the UK parliament had wanted to discuss Devo Max then the thing to have done would have been to put forward legislation on Devo Max two or three years ago so it was on the statute book and then the Scots could have been given the choice in the referendum between independence and Devo Max....

Asked if there were enough Conservative MPs opposed to more powers who would vote to prevent further devolution, Mr Chope replied: "Well in isolation I’m sure there would be, because those powers would be powers for us to Scotland but there wouldn't be any rebalance of the constitution and no discussion on some of the more basic issues that were raised in the MacKay report."

And they wonder why we don't trust them? Not to mention that they were never going to offer them, but now they've thrown them out there because they're pissing themselves at the thought of us voting yes. The SNP government wanted a "Devolution Max" option on the voting slip, which many people would have gone for. David Cameron refused, probably because he never thought things would be this close.

The only way to guarantee more powers is by voting yes.

i am part scottish, english, welsh and irish (and ukrainian), but if i were living in the UK, i'd probably be living in scotland and i'd be voting yes for sure.

Close, On my dad's side, he's English, my grandfather was English and grandmother Scottish, on my mom's side, my grandfather was Austrian and grandmother Ukrainian.

At around 7 a.m. this Friday morning, the result of the referendum will be announced. If it is a YES vote, by 7:05 a.m., the Tories will begin calling for David Cameron to resign.

Perhaps Mr Cameron should be in Downing Street, packing up his belongings, rather than visiting Scotland to deliver shallow and patronising nonsense to the 99.9% of Scots who feel nothing but contempt for him.

The Prime Minister claims that he will be heartbroken if Scotland achieves Independence. I'm sure his great personal wealth will allow him to buy a few boxes of Man-size Scotties (paper hankies).

Good Bye David and Good Luck for the future........oh, and don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out!

At around 7 a.m. this Friday morning, the result of the referendum will be announced. If it is a YES vote, by 7:05 a.m., the Tories will begin calling for David Cameron to resign.

Perhaps Mr Cameron should be in Downing Street, packing up his belongings, rather than visiting Scotland to deliver shallow and patronising nonsense to the 99.9% of Scots who feel nothing but contempt for him.

The Prime Minister claims that he will be heartbroken if Scotland achieves Independence. I'm sure his great personal wealth will allow him to buy a few boxes of Man-size Scotties (paper hankies).

Good Bye David and Good Luck for the future........oh, and don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out!

Sutch a disrespectfull post. Hes the prime minister u know. TBH the scottish should not of bin able to have this vote with out letting the English vote as well PLUS this may give separation ideals to the anti unity north irish catholics. Is a bad referendum in so many levels. I am praying for a unity vote this week. For the UK for the Queen and for the future

Sutch a disrespectfull post. Hes the prime minister u know. TBH the scottish should not of bin able to have this vote with out letting the English vote as well PLUS this may give separation ideals to the anti unity north irish catholics. Is a bad referendum in so many levels. I am praying for a unity vote this week. For the UK for the Queen and for the future

4p9r5.gif

i'd just like to know why he thinks the other countries in the UK should be allowed to vote on whether they want to allow scotland to end their participation in the union. does he also believe australia and Canada should be allowed to vote on it too? their opinions are just as relevant to the discussion; which is to say, completely irrelevant.

i'd just like to know why he thinks the other countries in the UK should be allowed to vote on whether they want to allow scotland to end their participation in the union. does he also believe australia and Canada should be allowed to vote on it too? their opinions are just as relevant to the discussion; which is to say, completely irrelevant.

Exactly Avelanche.

I have also asked about this and it appears there is a fear that (as I think the article hints at) Scotland will bring the rest of the United Kingdom down markedly, therefore the politicians via the press have built up an anti Scottish feeling based on the fact that they have been wrongly told for years that Scotland has been some kind of passenger.

My g uncle thinks the truth will unravel on Scotland's contribution, in real damaging figures if and when the Scots get independence.

I spoke to him to-day and he still thinks it's too close to call. If they get independence me and my brothers are going over for New Year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Excellent article - one of the few honest ones. Even more interesting - many of the comments added below the article demonstrated the slewed opinions of some of the ordinary citizens throughout the United Kingdom.

They have been drip fed the notion that we want independence because we "hate the English". This is so far off the mark and only alienates the rest of the UK, with no truth or justification to it.

We want to be able to make our own decisions and our own way in the world, without being held back by Westminster, where about 90% of the members are not from Scotland.

As for the sewage being spilled by Bure to Mogilny - keep it up - you are giving all of us a good laugh!

Thanks to all of you who have had positive comments to make - whether or not you are in favour of Scottish Independence. It has been interesting to hear your points.

O yeah right

As opposed to the garbage you're spewing? Anti-unity Northern Irish? I'm sure they'd love to be unified... with the rest of Ireland. And yet you think our resident Scottish members are being disrespectful for calling out the PM? I know you're just trolling but this is ridiculous.

Archived