The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Player Discussion] Stanton

Bure to Mogilny

Hello every one here is the forth part of are series of player discussions. This one is on Ryan Stanton. A young fellow is drafted by chicago and picked up on wavers last year and was not really penciled in by anyone to do mutch. But he quickly prooved himself to be a regular reliable dman whitch is not an easy thing to of done under torts. After a unfortunate injury in the middle of the year he never really bounsed back

So here we are getting ready to start the next season and what are peoples thoughts and exectations of him coming into this year. He def has competition for that third pareing spot and i think he will get it. Is also in the last year of a neer minimum wage of the league salary so i guess is RFA at the end of the year so he could have more to proove his worth

Hamuis Tanev

Edler Bieksa

Stanton Sbisa

And also looking in

Weber

Corrado

Sanguinetti

Tymakin

Liked his game, physical, reliable he's our Matt Greene. I hope he re-signs after this year, he can step into our top 4 whenever and I think alot of people underrate Stanton because of his limited offence but he's still a good top 4 defenceman.

Lot's of different D-pairings.

Edler - Hamhuis

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Stanton and Tanev can be a shutdown pairing IMO, both are reliable defensively, bring different dimensions defensively aswell. One is physical, one is a positional master.

Liked his game, physical, reliable he's our Matt Greene. I hope he re-signs after this year, he can step into our top 4 whenever and I think alot of people underrate Stanton because of his limited offence but he's still a good top 4 defenceman.

Lot's of different D-pairings.

Edler - Hamhuis

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Stanton and Tanev can be a shutdown pairing IMO, both are reliable defensively, bring different dimensions defensively aswell. One is physical, one is a positional master.

Not sure about the matt greene comparison....matt greene is far bigger and stronger and actually clears the crease.

In my mind, Stanton needs to improve his game without the puck to be a full-time D man in the NHL, but he showed that he can play at this level in stints last year. His ceiling is honestly pretty low, even in junior he wasn't a big points guy, but he can play a steady 14-16 minutes a night as a call up. Can't ask for much more from a waiver pickup. He plays a physical game, but he's not big by NHL D standards, and he looked worn down towards the end of the season, especially when he was logging 18+ minutes.

Looking at the lack of depth and experience after the top 4, Stanton might be the most reliable option straight out of camp, but he's the wrong guy for the job.

I see that as an area where the Canucks are missing that right guy(s) for a physical 3rd pairing. Hammer and Tanev can play shut down pair in a puck possession game, but the Canucks are missing size, muscle and toughness on the back end. Tanev can poke check Carter/Kopitar all night, but who's going punish them down low and wear them out? The Canucks don't have a big enough body, or the experience, to handle the big forwards the California 3 can roll out.

In my mind, Stanton needs to improve his game without the puck to be a full-time D man in the NHL, but he showed that he can play at this level in stints last year. His ceiling is honestly pretty low, even in junior he wasn't a big points guy, but he can play a steady 14-16 minutes a night as a call up. Can't ask for much more from a waiver pickup. He plays a physical game, but he's not big by NHL D standards, and he looked worn down towards the end of the season, especially when he was logging 18+ minutes.

Looking at the lack of depth and experience after the top 4, Stanton might be the most reliable option straight out of camp, but he's the wrong guy for the job.

I see that as an area where the Canucks are missing that right guy(s) for a physical 3rd pairing. Hammer and Tanev can play shut down pair in a puck possession game, but the Canucks are missing size, muscle and toughness on the back end. Tanev can poke check Carter/Kopitar all night, but who's going punish them down low and wear them out? The Canucks don't have a big enough body, or the experience, to handle the big forwards the California 3 can roll out.

Sbisa can do some of that and arguably better than Stanton at least but yes as my stutter on the subject would seem to indicate...

We lack an offensive/PMD and a big, surly, crease clearing 3rd pairing guy. (Or even better a true #1D that could do both jobs ::D )

Sbisa can do some of that and arguably better than Stanton at least but yes as my stutter on the subject would seem to indicate...

We lack an offensive/PMD

and a big, surly, crease clearing 3rd pairing guy. (Or even better a true #1D that could do both jobs : :D )

Sbisa is not without his own issues though. Often a healthy scratch last season, including the playoffs. He's a project two other teams have given up on; I like that he's 200lbs+ and goes looking for hits, but he needs a D partner to insulate him to play a full 80. Our 5 and 6 are going to be a revolving door. I'm glad Willie D has to figure out his pairings and not me.

Sbisa is not without his own issues though. Often a healthy scratch last season, including the playoffs. He's a project two other teams have given up on; I like that he's 200lbs+ and goes looking for hits, but he needs a D partner to insulate him to play a full 80. Our 5 and 6 are going to be a revolving door. I'm glad Willie D has to figure out his pairings and not me.

I want to pair him with Tanev. Seems a match made in heaven.

If you look at what happened to him last season, it's not surprising that he was scratched the whole time.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Canuck+Sbisa+thinks+this+will/10189387/story.html

Sbisa’s brutal 2013-14 season has been well documented. He suffered a high ankle sprain in the first exhibition game. He missed two and half months. When he came back he played for two weeks before tearing a tendon in his hand, which required surgery.

When he was finally healthy at the end of the season, it was too late. He had lost his top-six job, and played just two of Anaheim’s playoff games.

“From Day 1, last year just wasn’t my year,” Sbisa said.

“It wasn’t easy. You miss all those games and you come back and you put all this pressure on yourself when everyone else has played 50 games.

“I learned a lot mentally. I think I’m much better prepared and believe I know what it takes to be a solid top-four defenceman.

Reminds me of Ballard and his start with us a bit - that would be bad.

But Sbisa is only 24. I think he'll make our top 6.

Where that puts Stanton - I don't know. Honestly we'll probably dress our best 6 which are 4LHDs (Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa, Stanton) and 2RHDs (Bieksa, Tanev).

I want to pair him (Sbisa) with Tanev. Seems a match made in heaven.

I agree this seems like a potentially good pairing. Sbisa brings as much speed as Tanev, and has talent which has yet to be uncorked according to reports.

Problem is, who matches with Edler? Someone else suggested a pairing of Edler Hamhuis which would help Eddie. But Hammer would be on his off side. Still, maybe its the solution? When Stanton played best last year, it was with KB3 so that part is no issue on the 3rd pair.

At the end of the day, in a perfect world Stanton would put in 15 lbs of muscle, we would source a true PMD and life would be grand!

Back to Stanton. He was fine as a 3rd pairing guy, not having top match ups to deal with and playing with Bieksa. Bieksa was free to do PK and 2knd PP to boost his minutes. It seems to me Stanton will get time if, and only if, someone is injured OR someone (like Hammer as peculated above) makes the swith to the right side. He is solidly 4th on our LHD depth chart?

I disagree with most opinions about Stanton. I see him as more of an offensive guy. He's a quick, smooth skater who can pass the puck well. His shot doesn't usually find the back of the net, but it's good for good for deflections and rebounds.

Defensively, he's pretty good for a rookie defenseman claimed off waivers. He gives the puck away less than most of our D-men. Still, I wouldn't say defense is his area of strength. He could improve a bit on his physicality.

Last season he was on pace for almost 30 points before his injury, but he struggled a bit when he came back, but the whole team was playing horribly then. Still, he would've gotten 20 points if he played the full season, and he played most the season on the 3rd pair with no PP time.

In the future, I see Ryan Stanton as a puck moving type D-man who can put up 30 points as long as gets some PP time. I think he will be able to play in the top 4, but would be better suited as a #5 D-man on a good team. Kind of like Nick Leddy, but more defensive and less offensive.

Still crossing my fingers that's Sanguinetti.

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Edler, Sanguinetti

Sbisa, Tanev

Stanton, Weber

Wow high hopes for Sanguinetti. Any reason why, if I may ask?

I'm not one of those guys that overrate Tanev around here, but even I think Tanev is a lock for the top-4.

Wow high hopes for Sanguinetti. Any reason why, if I may ask?

I'm not one of those guys that overrate Tanev around here, but even I think Tanev is a lock for the top-4.

Sanguinettit has good underlying numbers and Edler needs an offensive partner to be successful. Sadly, Sanguinetti is likely the closest thing we've got.

Cross your fingers.

Tanev is certainly capable of playing top 4. That doesn't mean that's the best spot for him given the only other player he's shown any real chemistry with is Hamhuis. He's not a #2 guy. And Bieksa (with Hamhuis) plays better there.

Both him and Edler are worse when paired together. Bieksa and Edler are abysmal when paired together.

By process of elimination (and that I think him and Sbisa would make good partners), that leaves him on the third pairing and with minutes fairly evenly spread between the pairings.

As I said elsewhere:

I personally see Sanguinetti playing on Edler's right if he makes it at all. He's the exact type of player Edler needs to excel (albeit an unproven 'poor-man's' version of one). An offensively skilled D who can drive the play and push the puck forward/make o-zone plays allowing Edler to let the game come to him.

Hamhuis, Bieksa
Edler, Sanguinetti
Sbisa (Bieksa light), Tanev, (Hamhuis light)

Stanton, Weber

1st pairing gets mostly shutdown minutes/highest QOC. 2nd pairing gets mostly offensive minutes (PP, Ozone starts with the twins etc). 3rd pairing gets secondary shutdown minutes. Minutes fairly evenly spread.

Re: an Edler/Tanev pairing

Even before last season they both played worse with each other than they did with other partners. SID had a great post on it a few months back (I'll try to dig up with CDC's infuriating search).

There's plenty of reasons why that pairing can't work. The main one being that Tanev has shown no ability to be the prime puck carrying, offensive minded partner that can drive the play forward and set up in the offensive zone that has been proven twice (Ehrhoff and Salo) to get the best out of Edler as the secondary offensive partner.

It allows the game to come to him. Let's him slip in to soft spots while the other guy moves and sets up an offensive play and allows him to sit back and make safer and more successful defensive plays as the secondary partner rather than trying to be the prime offensive force on the line.

Re: Sanguinetti making the team

He only makes our top 6 if he earns it. Players do have that "aha" year were they break out and it does tend to happen later for D-men. He's got pretty good underlying numbers to boot.

That said, I'm not remotely saying he's guaranteed going to break out but he is currently looking like our best hope in that role in an offensive/Edler pairing.

In other words...Cross your @#$%'ing fingers DeNiro :lol:

Otherwise I agree with your trade sentiments. Here's hoping Sanguinetti IS that underrated gem :lol:

Tanev has worked on his offense a lot and has improved that wrist shot of his. I think, although he has the skill to be a top 4, putting him on that bottom pairing vs tertiary competition would mean he could possibly hit the 25 pt mark. He'd still see plenty of PK time.

On the subject of Stanton, I loved his game last year and I think Bieksa or Tanev would make solid pairings. I am not sold on Sbisa yet, if he is clearly beaten by Stanton and a player like Sanguinetti, Weber, or Corrado I would have no problem sitting him until an injury arose.

Stanton has proven his resourcefulness (he was one of our best defenseman at the end of last year during our tire fire.)

WOWY stats showed that he impressively helped corrado's possession game and made the pairing a positive GF% and CF% tandem. Now given this is a small sample size you cant say this wouldn't regress, but in Frankie's limited NHL experience, Stanton was his most common partner.

If Stanton as a rookie can make another rookie look good, I wouldn't be surprised if he had an even more impressive showing this year.

Personally I think Stanton will beat out Sbisa in camp. What JB and WD do after that is a mystery.

Do they play sbisa even if sanguinetti/weber/corrado outperform him?
Or do they sit their new acquisition and swallow their pride?

Camp is going to be fun :)

Archived