The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Giving up Canadian Nationalism: Where would you draw the line?

I'm Your Huckleberry

That's exactly what I was going to write, how about we ditch the monarchy and become a republic first.

Yes! Byebye commonwealth. :lol:

(no point in being a member when there's far more cons than pros)

Nope.

Pretty sure the thread was about how awesome Ambien is.

Kinda hard not to be awesome when you keep coming into threads and making me look (moreso) like a genius.

Well, you do want to ditch the monarchy.

High five!

Could start by replacing the image of the Queen (of England) on our currency with something else.

A few ideas:

- Oil rigs

- A mother bear mauling some silly unsuspecting tourist out in Banff

- A group of drunk natives protesting a bridge at the lack of Texas mickeys carried throughout Canada

- the Vancouver riots

- Rob Ford in Tropic Thunder standing in Jack Black's place all wide-eyed before the motherload of coke

- A map of the highly partitioned Republic of Quebec (the Canadian part)

- Justin Bieber

1. Have you ever jokingly or seriously wished or considered BC was it's own, or was a part of different country/sovereign state/etc?

A - Nope

2. How much disapproval/disgust/disappointment/etc would you have to feel for the government before you truly decided you wanted BC out of Canada?

A - Quite a lot. I'm pretty easy going and it takes a fair bit to push me over the edge.

3. What kind of benefits or solutions to current systemic problems would need to be in place before you would commit to separating?

A - I'm not really particularly aware of the current systemic problems, thus I can't really answer the question

4. Is being Canadian part of your identity as a person?

A - I'd say it makes up a decent part of my identity, yes.

4. Is being Canadian part of your identity as a person?

ignoring all of the awkward borderline autism above, this is an interesting question

what even is "canadian identity"? this is something i think about sometimes, especially in regards to how weary i get each time i turn on CBC or whatever and these sentimental "Canadiana" images are cycled. i can't wait to leave this country, but i feel like i'll kind of carry it with me in some way.

there's a pretty good episode of This American Life that i listened to recently:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/65/whos-canadian

talks about this a bit. the second act (by the fabulous David Rakoff) is pretty good in particular.

I have just as much distaste for the BC government. Both our Canadian and BC governments are a joke.

This. Canadian federal politics are a joke. Provincial level politics in BC are even worse. If we tried to secede we'd be in for an even worse ride. Unfortunately we're still waiting for someone to come along who's clever enough to offer us a reasonable way out.

I have a FAR bigger problem with the Conservatives/Harper's flawed ideology governing than I do with being part of Canada personally.

The biggest issue I have with Canada is that we allowed that party the power to run this beautiful country in the ground. Seriously people, WTF?

Agreed, as well as why would anyone want to separate with the current insipid government we have in BC?

Not that there's much choice.

for me it's about perspective, sure the government may do things that I may not at agree with but at the end of the day Canada as a country is in a lot better of a place than most countries and I'm happy to be here and it would take quite a bit for me to leave

Interesting. Do you ever envision how things could be even better? If no, why not?

Can you explain your thoughts?

Well, at least for Quebec, it is economically inviable. But that isn't the only complication - social services (healthcare), armed forces, new relations with foreign countries, etc.

BC is going to have a lot of difficulties if it isn't inviable for them also. Just looking at healthcare - what's going to happen? There's only one medical school that can supply doctors, and it's not a guarantee that they stay once they graduate if they don't get as much as they would in Canada. There are some who already leave for the US for more money. To pay doctors and other social workers, you need taxes. If you tax too much, businesses will leave. If you don't, you won't have money to provide adequate social services. Other ways to make money is through deals with foreign countries, like FIPA and the Northern Gateway pipeline. But isn't that what you don't want?

The fallacy is that people think separation will somehow fix the things they don't like, but it will only bring those things faster and a whole lot of other problems their way.

At least that's how I see it with my limited knowledge on the matter.

Could start by replacing the image of the Queen (of England) on our currency with something else.

A few ideas:

- Oil rigs

- A mother bear mauling some silly unsuspecting tourist out in Banff

- A group of drunk natives protesting a bridge at the lack of Texas mickeys carried throughout Canada

- the Vancouver riots

- Rob Ford in Tropic Thunder standing in Jack Black's place all wide-eyed before the motherload of coke

- A map of the highly partitioned Republic of Quebec (the Canadian part)

- Justin Bieber

Pamela Anderson

Archived