The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

K-Mart begins airing Christmas commercial

Dubbed "Not a Christmas Commercial", this is the year's first real Christmas commercial for their layaway program.

It's a slightly funny commercial, but seems a... Bit early. However, lots of stores already have their bloody merchandise up for the holidays and the taxi companies in the lower mainland are already advertising that they'll be working through Christmas time.

What's your opinion? When is it too early to start talking about Christmas?

High end electronics for families that can't afford them. Layaway is never a good idea but some people would rather be in debt than disappoint their children

I like layaway still. You agree to pay the purchase price as stated you pay more then 1/3rd down and then pay off $50 a cheque and instead of burying yourself in debt you actually live within your means.

Better than credit any day of the week

I like layaway still. You agree to pay the purchase price as stated you pay more then 1/3rd down and then pay off $50 a cheque and instead of burying yourself in debt you actually live within your means.

Better than credit any day of the week

Better than credit, yeah, but the best option still is an always will be just fronting it all through cash or debit.

Better than credit, yeah, but the best option still is an always will be just fronting it all through cash or debit.

I grew up poor, you either had the cash on you or you put it on payments. Otherwise you didn't have it,

I loathe using a credit card for anything and paypal sparingly. If I cannot pay for it outright or within 3 payments via a layaway program or via gift cards, it's not worth having (car and house being the obvious ones worth putting out for)

If layaway doesn't charge interest, its basically the same thing. Unless I'm missing something?

The only thing I can see is that it will likely be cheaper closer to Christmas because of sales.

The amount of people who are offended by being wished "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" is alarming.

Yeah, its rather disgusting. So is the fact we are expected to cater to it. Last place I worked even started having a holiday party AFTER Christmas to not offend anyone.

The amount of people who are offended by being wished "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" is alarming.

Who are these people you're talking about? The only ones who ever bring this up outside of the news media (who are obviously trying to stir things up) are the same type of people with bumper stickers reading "Keep the Christ in Christmas"

If layaway doesn't charge interest, its basically the same thing. Unless I'm missing something?

The only thing I can see is that it will likely be cheaper closer to Christmas because of sales.

Yeah, its rather disgusting. So is the fact we are expected to cater to it. Last place I worked even started having a holiday party AFTER Christmas to not offend anyone.

Layaway doesn't charge interest it's just agreeing to pay the current price in full at a later date with a down payment of X or Y

Who are these people you're talking about? The only ones who ever bring this up outside of the news media (who are obviously trying to stir things up) are the same type of people with bumper stickers reading "Keep the Christ in Christmas"

And...perfect case in point :lol:

And...perfect case in point :lol:

How is this a case in point? I'm not offended in any way by any way that someone wants to express a joyous holiday season, whether it be Happy Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Holidays, Christmas or even if you're a JW and don't want anything to do with it

I do however get offended when self righteous people like yourself make claims that "you people" are guilty of.

I've never seen an atheist get angry at someone for saying "Merry Christmas", the only people I see who get their panties in a bunch over this topic are people like you and Grapefruits.

I dunno. I can't say i know there's a large group of people that are legitimately offended by the use of the word Christmas, but they are being catered to regardless. A lot of Happy Holidays and stuff out there.

At the same time i don't know why a Christian would care what a non-Christian or someone trying to be PC would call the day. It's not exactly as if people are forgetting about the thing with commercials in September. I don't think the religious meaning is lost amongst those that want to care about it.

I don't think I've ever used the term Happy Holidays out loud in my life before either way. I don't think anyone needs to feel offended by hearing it though.

How is this a case in point? I'm not offended in any way by any way that someone wants to express a joyous holiday season, whether it be Happy Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Holidays, Christmas or even if you're a JW and don't want anything to do with it

I do however get offended when self righteous people like yourself make claims that "you people" are guilty of.

I've never seen an atheist get angry at someone for saying "Merry Christmas", the only people I see who get their panties in a bunch over this topic are people like you and Grapefruits.

Couple years ago I had to make a few sign to put up at the counter area where I worked. I put Merry Christmas at the bottom. I got hauled in the office and was told to remove the signs because the Merry Christmas not only offended him it offended certain staff members.

It had nothing to do with any of them being Atheist either. People do get offended.

Archived