The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hawks to trade Leddy before season opener to get cap compliant

So Gaunce and a 2nd is a crappy offer in your mind?!

But then that was a deal out of left field where there were no rumours of him being shopped or having multiple teams interested. If there really are teams willing to put offers out there, then the package going to Chicago won't be White and Rahimi. If it was true to the Ehrhoff scenario, then it'd be less actually, since Leddy isn't quite what Ehrhoff was at that point and Chicago isn't clearing space for another deal, they're just over the cap.

You know what, maybe that balances out, the pressure Chicago has to make a deal in a couple of days and Leddy's lesser value, and actually having teams interested.

White was technically a 2nd rounder since everyone knew he wasn't going to get signed.

Have not confirmed yet, but it appears #Isles are indeed also acquiring Nick Leddy from Chicago. Stay tuned...

Interesting. What young D are they moving out to make room for all this? Are they giving back one of Hickey or Brennan, maybe with a pick? Are they waiving Carkner to make space? I'm not sure how it all fits if true.

White was technically a 2nd rounder since everyone knew he wasn't going to get signed.

Sure, but that's still a pretty minor deal. So what would be our equivalent, a 2nd and Jeremie Blain? Or less since Leddy's not quite Ehrhoff? Or more since there is some bidding going on it seems?

Interesting. What young D are they moving out to make room for all this? Are they giving back one of Hickey or Brennan, maybe with a pick? Are they waiving Carkner to make space? I'm not sure how it all fits if true.

I wonder if the Canucks can't poach a guy.

I'm serious....DeHaan would be a better option on the PP than Weber.

Anyway.....if you live in Bridgeport you should buy season tickets. They're going to be stacked.

I think they're ok with young puck moving dmen with Clendinning.. They'd probably want a young fwd or high pick and a cheap as possible 6/7 dman... Stanton/Corrado+Gaunce/2nd

To those saying they won't get much, that couldnt be further from the truth.. Team's like Dallas Detroit and Colorado would give up a significant amount for a young 40 point dman.. He's no Cam Barker

I wonder if the Canucks can't poach a guy.

I'm serious....DeHaan would be a better option on the PP than Weber.

Anyway.....if you live in Bridgeport you should buy season tickets. They're going to be stacked.

I've liked DeHaan for a while, despite some injury issues. He's a lefty though, no? I think they're high on him getting a chance with Hamonic, although with Leddy now I don't know if they bump DeHaan to the second pairing.

They do still have Pulock and Pelech entering the AHL as high end options, plus guys like Donovan and Ness who've been around a bit but are still decent options (although both waiver eligible this year). Maybe room to get one of the first two with the right deal? Yes please to Pulock if the price is right.

I think they're ok with young puck moving dmen with Clendinning.. They'd probably want a young fwd or high pick and a cheap as possible 6/7 dman... Stanton/Corrado+Gaunce/2nd

To those saying they won't get much, that couldnt be further from the truth.. Team's like Dallas Detroit and Colorado would give up a significant amount for a young 40 point dman.. He's no Cam Barker

He's also not a 40 point D-man. He did hit 37 once, but his next best is 31 last year.

I've liked DeHaan for a while, despite some injury issues. He's a lefty though, no? I think they're high on him getting a chance with Hamonic, although with Leddy now I don't know if they bump DeHaan to the second pairing.

They do still have Pulock and Pelech entering the AHL as high end options, plus guys like Donovan and Ness who've been around a bit but are still decent options (although both waiver eligible this year). Maybe room to get one of the first two with the right deal? Yes please to Pulock if the price is right.

He's also not a 40 point D-man. He did hit 37 once, but his next best is 31 last year.

I think there is even a good chance that Reinhart gets sent down. They don't need to rush him now. Boychuk changes the whole look of that D corps. deHaan does shoot L but he can play both sides easily.

Hamonic-Lubo

Leddy-Boychuk

Hickey-deHaan

Carkner-Donovan

Adding to the fact that they have a solid Goalie now in Halak, they also have a decent forward group with pairings on every line.

Tavares-Okposo

Grabovski-Kulemin

Nielsen-Grabner

Cizikas-Martin

Fill in the open wing spots with Bailey, Clutterbuck, Nelson, Lee and Conacher, and they are going to make some noise in the East with how weak that conference is.

Barclays will be sold out every night by the end of the year, methinks, and they are going to be a hot ticket. Being in Brooklyn now they should also have a decent time signing and re-signing FAs.

The Isles are on the rise and it's nice to see from an organization that looked be possibly folding or relocating 5 years ago.

They aren't moving De Haan, they don't need to. Not sure, why people even consider it. They traded up in the draft to draft the kid, because he played with Tavares. Islanders have to keep whatever it takes to keep Johnny T happy.

They aren't moving De Haan, they don't need to. Not sure, why people even consider it. They traded up in the draft to draft the kid, because he played with Tavares. Islanders have to keep whatever it takes to keep Johnny T happy.

Just wishful thinking, Rey.

But your right. They don't need to do anything.

Guest Dasein

He's too expensive to be useful for only the playoffs IMO, but not that it matters as Leddy was just traded.

Well when they keep making the playoffs like they do and remain contenders every year, I think it's worth every penny to have a player who comes up big in the playoffs rather than a mediocre top 4 defender.

Honestly will not be missed much by CHI.

Guest Dasein

And this is why the Hawks and Bruins are and will remain on top.

They get rid of two pieces that they have to get rid of even though they seem to be backed into a corner, and turn them into decent picks and prospects.

Exactly, making bold moves to upgrade and remain competitive. In addition to that, the two teams you mentioned both went out and paid top $$$$ to get key UFA pieces that put them over the top - Chara for BOS and Hossa for CHI.

Gillis was too cap-conscious and looking for bargains all the time. Never made a bold move to sign a UFA we badly needed or a bold trade to upgrade the team to remain competitive. His horrible drafting from 2008-2012 set us back even further.

Well when they keep making the playoffs like they do and remain contenders every year, I think it's worth every penny to have a player who comes up big in the playoffs rather than a mediocre top 4 defender.

Honestly will not be missed much by CHI.

I suppose he's worth more to them than Leddy now, but I still think he isn't worth his contract, and that he'll be moved next time they need to clear up cap space.

After their core, they can just draft and develop players to fill out their roster and still remain near the top.

Archived