The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta + Vancouver in 5~ years.

Plum

With Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary all getting top 10 picks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Canada West looks pretty pathetic in the NHL. Though it sucks today, it might be what California is today with very skilled players once the rebuild is over.

Calgary, adding Monahan, Bennett, Poirier, Gaudreau, Klimchuk in the last 5 years along with a prospect pool with tons of depth. They look like a strong team in the next 5-10 years, impressive in the Young Stars Tourney. Calgary looks to have a good chance at a top 3 pick adding either Hanifin/Eichel/McDavid to their prospect depth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier

Baertschi - Bennett - Backlund

Klimchuk - Reinhart - Jankowski

Ferland - Colborne - Granlund

Hanifin - Giordano

Sieloff - Brodie

Smid - Wotherspoon

Hiller

Gillies

Edmonton missed the playoffs for 8 straight years but they have strong talent on forward and they will make the playoffs one year, they've got some solid defenceman in Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin and Simpson. Along with some strong defenceman at the NHL level in Fayne, Petry, Schultz, Ference. It looks like they're on a path to success as long as the defenceman develop as expected along with a solid goaltender in Fasth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Yakupov

Perron - Draisaitl - Eberle

Slepyshev - Yakimov - Chase

Moroz - Roy - Pitlick/Khaira

Nurse - Petry

Marincin - Schultz

Simpson - Klefbom

Brossoit

Scrivens

Vancouver jump started their "rebuild" in the 2013 draft by adding Horvat and Shinkaruk who project as top 6 players, also adding them to a fairly weak forward prospect pool with only Jensen and Gaunce as the other big names. In the 2014 draft we added Jake Virtanen a physical player with high offensive skill and another 1st rounder in Jared McCann, both project as top 6 players. The defensive pool seems a bit weak but Hutton just had an excellent sophomore year, Corrado, 21 who's looked okay in the NHL still playing in the NHL, Subban, Tryamkin, Cederholm, Forsling all seem to have some raw potential and still are quite far away from the NHL. After a 2015 NHL draft the prospect pool will be taken a step higher. Here's my projection at a roster in the next few years:

Shinkaruk - McCann - Virtanen

Bonino - Horvat - Kassian/Jensen

Gaunce - Vey - Jensen/Kassian

Zalewski - Cassels - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Hutton

Stanton - Corrado

Lack

Demko

It looks like the wild, wild, west will sooner than later be the top teams in the west. Although I hate the Flames and Oilers, I'd like to see some exciting hockey in the west again and all 3 teams fighting in the playoffs.

Where's the big Russian?

It's so hard to say how the teams will shape up. If you look at the talent Edmonton has on paper already, they should be tops in the division but they aren't. So to say the talent Calgary will have once their players develop is pretty much a crap shoot.

It's like saying definitively that guys like Virtanen and Demko are going to be serious stars. They look good for young players, but who knows how they will develop.

It's tough to win without top-drafted talent. For years we have been built around a #2 and #3 overall pick - and we almost won it all with them at their peak (almost certainly would have had we been remotely healthy).

Anaheim may not have any on their roster now, but the last time they won was because they were able to sign and trade for former #2 and #3 overall picks.

It's only a matter of time before the twins fade away, and the Alberta teams finally get their act together. Then, unless we got very fortunate with Horvat and Virtanen, it will be our turn to lose and land a couple more top prospects. But hopefully at that point we can turn it around quicker then them.

I don't want to think about our team in five years, because it is going to suck.

Interesting, so you must have predicted the 2 Presidents trophies and the 2011 playoff run while Nonis was in charge.

I was going to make fun of you for blowing all your money on the Psychic Friends Network but you already knew I was going to do that so I didn't bother.

It's tough to win without top-drafted talent. For years we have been built around a #2 and #3 overall pick - and we almost won it all with them at their peak (almost certainly would have had we been remotely healthy).

Anaheim may not have any on their roster now, but the last time they won was because they were able to sign and trade for former #2 and #3 overall picks.

It's only a matter of time before the twins fade away, and the Alberta teams finally get their act together. Then, unless we got very fortunate with Horvat and Virtanen, it will be our turn to lose and land a couple more top prospects. But hopefully at that point we can turn it around quicker then them.

D-money it wasn't just a second and third overall pick that almost won us a cup we also had a 23rd to carry us as well. This is the first time we actually have a scout for a GM in Benning. Not only did he help built Boston, but he made Buffalo in a contender a few years back. IMO you don't have to have the top 2-3 picks all the time its how you draft. Look at how many top 5-10 picks Vancouver had in the 70's and most of 80's. What did that ever produced? Two season where they finished above .500 in 20 years.

D-money it wasn't just a second and third overall pick that almost won us a cup we also had a 23rd to carry us as well. This is the first time we actually have a scout for a GM in Benning. Not only did he help built Boston, but he made Buffalo in a contender a few years back. IMO you don't have to have the top 2-3 picks all the time its how you draft. Look at how many top 5-10 picks Vancouver had in the 70's and most of 80's. What did that ever produced? Two season where they finished above .500 in 20 years.

I wasn't saying having high draft picks was a guarantee of success. Obviously you have to select the right players and develop them well (not to mention have some luck). But what I was saying is that you almost HAVE TO build around elite talent - talent that is almost always selected at the top of the players' respective draft years.

- Los Angeles is built around #2 overall Doughty, and #11 overall Kopitar (who only slid that far because of his country of origin).

- Chicago is built around #1 Kane, and #3 Toews.

- Boston was an exception (despite having #2 Seguin and #3 Horton, they weren't the key players). But again, they got lucky by squeaking by Tampa (whose main players included #1 Lecavalier, #2 Hedman, #1 Stamkos), and then having a superior Vancouver team (built around #2 & #3 Sedins, and a #4 Luongo) be completely decimated by injuries.

- Pittsburgh was built around a pair of generational #1's in Crosby and Malkin, not to mention the #1 in net, and the #4 third center.

In the past, there wasn't nearly as much invested around the league in drafting, and elite talent could be landed more frequently in later rounds. Especially if the player originated outside of North America. Detroit built a team around some late-round steals they found overseas.

But as teams focus more and more on drafting, and it becomes harder and harder to keep talent hidden from the public eye, finding truly elite players past the second round will be extremely rare. You may still find solid players to fill out your roster with (also important), but the top-level talent will almost certainly be in the first round, and likely in the first few picks.

With Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary all getting top 10 picks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Canada West looks pretty pathetic in the NHL. Though it sucks today, it might be what California is today with very skilled players once the rebuild is over.

Calgary, adding Monahan, Bennett, Poirier, Gaudreau, Klimchuk in the last 5 years along with a prospect pool with tons of depth. They look like a strong team in the next 5-10 years, impressive in the Young Stars Tourney. Calgary looks to have a good chance at a top 3 pick adding either Hanifin/Eichel/McDavid to their prospect depth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier

Baertschi - Bennett - Backlund

Klimchuk - Reinhart - Jankowski

Ferland - Colborne - Granlund

Hanifin - Giordano

Sieloff - Brodie

Smid - Wotherspoon

Hiller

Gillies

Edmonton missed the playoffs for 8 straight years but they have strong talent on forward and they will make the playoffs one year, they've got some solid defenceman in Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin and Simpson. Along with some strong defenceman at the NHL level in Fayne, Petry, Schultz, Ference. It looks like they're on a path to success as long as the defenceman develop as expected along with a solid goaltender in Fasth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Yakupov

Perron - Draisaitl - Eberle

Slepyshev - Yakimov - Chase

Moroz - Roy - Pitlick/Khaira

Nurse - Petry

Marincin - Schultz

Simpson - Klefbom

Brossoit

Scrivens

Vancouver jump started their "rebuild" in the 2013 draft by adding Horvat and Shinkaruk who project as top 6 players, also adding them to a fairly weak forward prospect pool with only Jensen and Gaunce as the other big names. In the 2014 draft we added Jake Virtanen a physical player with high offensive skill and another 1st rounder in Jared McCann, both project as top 6 players. The defensive pool seems a bit weak but Hutton just had an excellent sophomore year, Corrado, 21 who's looked okay in the NHL still playing in the NHL, Subban, Tryamkin, Cederholm, Forsling all seem to have some raw potential and still are quite far away from the NHL. After a 2015 NHL draft the prospect pool will be taken a step higher. Here's my projection at a roster in the next few years:

Shinkaruk - McCann - Virtanen

Bonino - Horvat - Kassian/Jensen

Gaunce - Vey - Jensen/Kassian

Zalewski - Cassels - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Hutton

Stanton - Corrado

Lack

Demko

It looks like the wild, wild, west will sooner than later be the top teams in the west. Although I hate the Flames and Oilers, I'd like to see some exciting hockey in the west again and all 3 teams fighting in the playoffs.

You realize this is only if teams don't draft and only keep their prospects and none of their veterans and don't sign anyone outside the organization right? I would ask if this is a depth chart of non-NHL players but you have Nuge and Eberle on here.

Archived