The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta + Vancouver in 5~ years.

Plum

With Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary all getting top 10 picks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Canada West looks pretty pathetic in the NHL. Though it sucks today, it might be what California is today with very skilled players once the rebuild is over.

Calgary, adding Monahan, Bennett, Poirier, Gaudreau, Klimchuk in the last 5 years along with a prospect pool with tons of depth. They look like a strong team in the next 5-10 years, impressive in the Young Stars Tourney. Calgary looks to have a good chance at a top 3 pick adding either Hanifin/Eichel/McDavid to their prospect depth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier

Baertschi - Bennett - Backlund

Klimchuk - Reinhart - Jankowski

Ferland - Colborne - Granlund

Hanifin - Giordano

Sieloff - Brodie

Smid - Wotherspoon

Hiller

Gillies

Edmonton missed the playoffs for 8 straight years but they have strong talent on forward and they will make the playoffs one year, they've got some solid defenceman in Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin and Simpson. Along with some strong defenceman at the NHL level in Fayne, Petry, Schultz, Ference. It looks like they're on a path to success as long as the defenceman develop as expected along with a solid goaltender in Fasth. My projection at their line-up in the next few years:

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Yakupov

Perron - Draisaitl - Eberle

Slepyshev - Yakimov - Chase

Moroz - Roy - Pitlick/Khaira

Nurse - Petry

Marincin - Schultz

Simpson - Klefbom

Brossoit

Scrivens

Vancouver jump started their "rebuild" in the 2013 draft by adding Horvat and Shinkaruk who project as top 6 players, also adding them to a fairly weak forward prospect pool with only Jensen and Gaunce as the other big names. In the 2014 draft we added Jake Virtanen a physical player with high offensive skill and another 1st rounder in Jared McCann, both project as top 6 players. The defensive pool seems a bit weak but Hutton just had an excellent sophomore year, Corrado, 21 who's looked okay in the NHL still playing in the NHL, Subban, Tryamkin, Cederholm, Forsling all seem to have some raw potential and still are quite far away from the NHL. After a 2015 NHL draft the prospect pool will be taken a step higher. Here's my projection at a roster in the next few years:

Shinkaruk - McCann - Virtanen

Bonino - Horvat - Kassian/Jensen

Gaunce - Vey - Jensen/Kassian

Zalewski - Cassels - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Tanev

Edler - Hutton

Stanton - Corrado

Lack

Demko

It looks like the wild, wild, west will sooner than later be the top teams in the west. Although I hate the Flames and Oilers, I'd like to see some exciting hockey in the west again and all 3 teams fighting in the playoffs.

It looks like the wild, wild, west will sooner than later be the top teams in the west. Although I hate the Flames and Oilers, I'd like to see some exciting hockey in the west again and all 3 teams fighting in the playoffs.

I just want to win a cup, and if that means winning one with less competition than so be it. Rather win against an easy team than lose to a difficult team.

What if one of the sedins and Vrbata get injured? Maybe Hamhuis gets hurt? Lands us a top 5 pick and we end up with Eichel somehow? Or maybe Sedins suffer Career ending injuries?

You seem to want that type of thing to happen huh? Sedins getting career ending injuries?

Canada West looks pathetic?

In the East we have Toronto, Ottawa and Winnipeg (even though they're in the west conference).

Canada as a whole is pathetic for hockey, outside of MTL.

Vancouver had one bad season. I think we will be fine.

The rest suck, because there's no incentive to change. People will go to the game no matter what.

Well... maybe Winnipeg is learning they need to play well to get fans to show up.

There's been way to much paranoia over top 10 draft picks. Sure we're probably not doing to land a top 10 pick unless we play mediocre or trade a considerable amount for it. But I don't want to watch a mediocre team just for some high picks. There are other ways to develop a winning team other than tanking. And if you were watching the last game against Edmonton, it should be clear that tanking isn't an option and Benning is right about not developing young players in a losing environment. Edmonton should have shut us down, but they don't have the experience on their bench to take advantage of a lead and play a more defensively sound game to maintain it. Edmonton consistently struggles against Calgary, a team similar to them with less skill but more experience.

Ever heard of Corey Perry? He was drafted late in the first round. Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Milan Lucic? Guys who were drafted late in the second round. So was Tyler Toffoli, all of these guys have won the cup and weren't drafted in the the top 10. So FYI there are ways to build a good team without drafting in the top 10. It's more about scouting than the position of the pick.

We may draft late, but who's to say we won't draft quality players like PK Subban or Paul Statsny or Shea Weber. Guys drafted late in the second round.

If we have a good scouting system in place, and if we develop our picks right they may end up being players we can trade for top 10 picks later on. I would have thought this would be self evident with the Kesler trade. Kesler who was drafted 23rd overall, netted us Bonino, a guy who could develop into a 2C or be a very good 3C, Sbisa a first round pick who could be a top 4D and McCann, another first round pick who could be a 2C. I'm pretty sure if we had a developed a young C who was ready to take a bigger role and step into Kesler's spot, we could have made a case for leaving Bonino with the Ducks and grabbing their 10th and 24th pick.

Ok so maybe we need a pure goal scorer to push us over the edge, maybe another team needs a gritty, defensively responsible guy? RE: The Martin St. Louis and Ryan Callahan trade. St. Louis was key in pushing the Rangers past the Penguins and the Canadiens.

So lets stop having these discussions over what pick we'll get and tanking just so we can get a higher pick. I want to see the Canucks win games above anything else.

There's been way to much paranoia over top 10 draft picks. Sure we're probably not doing to land a top 10 pick unless we play mediocre or trade a considerable amount for it. But I don't want to watch a mediocre team just for some high picks. There are other ways to develop a winning team other than tanking. And if you were watching the last game against Edmonton, it should be clear that tanking isn't an option and Benning is right about not developing young players in a losing environment. Edmonton should have shut us down, but they don't have the experience on their bench to take advantage of a lead and play a more defensively sound game to maintain it. Edmonton consistently struggles against Calgary, a team similar to them with less skill but more experience.

Ever heard of Corey Perry? He was drafted late in the first round. Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Milan Lucic? Guys who were drafted late in the second round. So was Tyler Toffoli, all of these guys have won the cup and weren't drafted in the the top 10. So FYI there are ways to build a good team without drafting in the top 10. It's more about scouting than the position of the pick.

We may draft late, but who's to say we won't draft quality players like PK Subban or Paul Statsny or Shea Weber. Guys drafted late in the second round.

If we have a good scouting system in place, and if we develop our picks right they may end up being players we can trade for top 10 picks later on. I would have thought this would be self evident with the Kesler trade. Kesler who was drafted 23rd overall, netted us Bonino, a guy who could develop into a 2C or be a very good 3C, Sbisa a first round pick who could be a top 4D and McCann, another first round pick who could be a 2C. I'm pretty sure if we had a developed a young C who was ready to take a bigger role and step into Kesler's spot, we could have made a case for leaving Bonino with the Ducks and grabbing their 10th and 24th pick.

Ok so maybe we need a pure goal scorer to push us over the edge, maybe another team needs a gritty, defensively responsible guy? RE: The Martin St. Louis and Ryan Callahan trade. St. Louis was key in pushing the Rangers past the Penguins and the Canadiens.

So lets stop having these discussions over what pick we'll get and tanking just so we can get a higher pick. I want to see the Canucks win games above anything else.

Well said I mean Linden did hire Benning who was the Assistant GM of a team that crushed the dream of every Canuck fan. I mean outside Horton (who was injured in most of the finals) and Seguin (who wasn't a big piece of the Cup winning run) none of the 2011 Bruins roster were Top 10 picks. So I am hoping Benning can bring some of that to Vancouver if there are no plans for the team to tank or rebuild from scratch.

The future is very unpredictable, Three years ago I wouldn't think the Oilers would still suck but they do. And they've had many high picks. Then you can take a look at Columbus, Florida, Toronto and the Jets/Atlanta(the list could be longer). None of these teams have been in the playoffs regularly over the last ten years and yet they don't have a winning team. So obviously not just high draft picks is enough to become a winning team. Some teams though are able to make a proper rebuild in just a few years like Chicago, Boston and potentially Colorado.

And that is definatley not a coincident, everyone in the organisation have to make their mark on the team. From GM, to coaches, scouting staff and everyone involved in the team. People who knows how to develop their prospects, people who can train their players to WIN. And that's when a team can build a winning culture, which then makes the team more attractive to free agents. So if a team can add to their lineup with both good players from the draft, not just the first round but from 2-4th at least and aquisitions via trades/FR signings a team will become successful.

Archived