The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

George McPhee wins the Mike Milbury award!

Rodzilla131

Now that Filip Forsberg has started out his 1st full season in Nashville with 7 pts in 7 games and an eye popping +9, I think it's fair to say his trade from Washington may be one of the worst in years.

If you remember, a desperate Mike (oops George McPhee) swapped the 1st Rd pick Forsberg for Martin Erat (now in Phoenix, scored 2 goals as a Capital) and a 3rd Rd center named Michael Latta.

McPhee's worst move since pressuring a free agent named Wayne Gretzky in the middle of the night to come to the Canucks.....?

although we did get the great consolation prize the following year of the "greatest leader in sports" M. Messier the following year.

Usually I don't have a difficult time seeing both sides of a trade. I understand that when all is said and done, there will be a winner and a loser. In this case, I don't remember one person who thought this was a smart move.

Now that Filip Forsberg has started out his 1st full season in Nashville with 7 pts in 7 games and an eye popping +9, I think it's fair to say his trade from Washington may be one of the worst in years.

If you remember, a desperate Mike (oops George McPhee) swapped the 1st Rd pick Forsberg for Martin Erat (now in Phoenix, scored 2 goals as a Capital) and a 3rd Rd center named Michael Latta.

McPhee's worst move since pressuring a free agent named Wayne Gretzky in the middle of the night to come to the Canucks.....?

although we did get the great consolation prize the following year of the "greatest leader in sports" M. Messier the following year.

McPhee didn't screw up the Gretzky deal. It was Quinn.

I never figured out that trade. Then again I didn't understand why Burke gave up the farm for Kessel either.

Burke's philosophy is simple, superstars sell tickets, that takes precedence over anything else. (Truculence is a close second.)

It's the same philosophy that landed us the Sedin's

However with Kessler, Burke should have done a little more HW, Kessler has had a "rep" since his collage days.

This and the Gaustad, Kessel, Bishop and Ott trades are my go to when people say players like Hansen Higgins Burrows and the like are worthless.

There is always some GM ready to do something really stupid to appease their fans and save their jobs.

Not to defend McPhee, but i'm pretty sure one of his scout or advisor was really high on Erat and sold him to McPhee. Still doesn't excuse him for traded away a highly-touted first rounder like Forsberg.

Like a few year ago when Habs GM Bob Gainey traded away Ribeiro, right when he was about to hit his prime, for Janne Niinima. In an interview a few years after, Gainey admitted that he was very badly advise by one of his staff on Niinima.

Not to defend McPhee, but i'm pretty sure one of his scout or advisor was really high on Erat and sold him to McPhee. Still doesn't excuse him for traded away a highly-touted first rounder like Forsberg.

Like a few year ago when Habs GM Bob Gainey traded away Ribeiro, right when he was about to hit his prime, for Janne Niinima. In an interview a few years after, Gainey admitted that he was very badly advise by one of his staff on Niinima.

Or Ryan Mcdonagh for Scott Gomez

Aren't there a ton of stories involving Mcphee being a jack a$$ while he was here?

I remember the Orca Bay people being jerks to work for,...and that Stephen Bellringer & Brian Burke had a difficult time just standing beside each other. There were a lot more stories about Burke being the tantrum-king & ball-buster here... than McPhee having those issues.

Are you remembering an incident like this>

"On September 25, 1999, McPhee, angry at what he perceived to be dirty play by the Chicago Blackhawks George McPhee punched then Blackhawks head coach Lorne Molleken outside the Chicago locker room after their teams' exhibition game. Molleken sustained injuries to his head and in response Blackhawks players and team aides jumped McPhee, leaving him with a torn suit. On October 1, 1999, Gary Bettman, the NHL commissioner, suspended McPhee for a month without pay and fined him $20,000." - wikipedia 10/24/ 2014

Now we can see how Burkie & McPhee got along, so well....they're like-minded.

"Now that"? No offense, but that was a pretty awful trade from the get-go.

Archived