The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows to have phone hearing today.

SuperReverb2

Wow usually I'm not one to point this out but the homerism in this thread is brutal.

It's a slightly late hit that regardless if intentional or not, was to the head. Burrows had at least a couple strides to change his direction before he committed to the hit, which he should have done because Emelin's head was so low. It's pretty clear it's not a dive, if you get hit in the head, while off balance and already moving backward and upwards it's only natural for the arms to flail the way they did. Burrows should get at least a fine and up to a maximum of 2 games.

Also the reffing in this game was terrible, both ways. They missed a lot of calls on Vancouver and Montreal. They should have called Subban for grabbing Daniel, they missed a bunch of picks, not just the ones in overtime, and it seemed like they just let a lot go that should have been called. I'm not sure how it was so lopsided to some of you that it's a conspiracy though.

Edit- some of you don't understand the difference between initial and principal.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment. There are people that no matter whether it is deserved or not, every call against Burrows is now conspiracy, NHL hate for him, or biased officiating because of his reputation. I think some of the latter does still occur but not every single call.

Great find. Burrows initially went shoulder to shoulder. Nino goes shoulder to torso/head.

If that isn't a suspension then this can't be even a fine.

I agree the hits look similar, but the main difference I think that the league will see is that Burrow's hit was late. Even the homer announcers said it was late. I think that will make a difference. I think he will be suspended for a short time, and I am ok with that. We HAVE seen a precedent for late hits getting suspended, so it would be consistent in that regard.

Would you elaborate on this please?

Whats the criteria required of a suspension and how much of the requirements does this hit meet exactly?

It never says anything about having to prove intent for a suspension. If you had to prove intent there would be much fewer suspensions. For example Zach Kassian was suspended last year for swinging his stick and hitting I think Ganger in the mouth. It didn't matter about whether he meant to do it or not. There are countless other examples like this from suspensions from reckless plays and such. To me the fact that this was a late hit is the main reason he will be suspended for a game or two (just my opinion). Even if a player puts himself in a vulnerable position, which Eller somewhat did, if the hit is late I think it puts the onus completely back on the hitter. If he hit him like that while he had the puck I bet there wouldn't be a suspension, as I said in a previous post the suspension people seem to weigh that quite heavily. And I think they should, too. That is when a player is most vulnerable, when they are not expecting it because it is late. That is just my opinion, I might be wrong, but just what I have seemed to notice.

Great find. Burrows initially went shoulder to shoulder. Nino goes shoulder to torso/head.

If that isn't a suspension then this can't be even a fine.

Really good comparison but you can't compare last season to this one. Different person in charge of league safety, and last year was a total crap shoot anyways for suspensions.

Edit: the videos being a good comparison

It never says anything about having to prove intent for a suspension. If you had to prove intent there would be much fewer suspensions. For example Zach Kassian was suspended last year for swinging his stick and hitting I think Ganger in the mouth. It didn't matter about whether he meant to do it or not. There are countless other examples like this from suspensions from reckless plays and such. To me the fact that this was a late hit is the main reason he will be suspended for a game or two (just my opinion). Even if a player puts himself in a vulnerable position, which Eller somewhat did, if the hit is late I think it puts the onus completely back on the hitter. If he hit him like that while he had the puck I bet there wouldn't be a suspension, as I said in a previous post the suspension people seem to weigh that quite heavily. And I think they should, too. That is when a player is most vulnerable, when they are not expecting it because it is late. That is just my opinion, I might be wrong, but just what I have seemed to notice.

So basically you're saying if you hit anyone in the head regardless of the circumstances, you are to be suspended?

So if I'm a hockey player and someone is coming to check me and I want that guy suspended all I have to do is stick my head in the way?

So basically you're saying if you hit anyone in the head regardless of the circumstances, you are to be suspended?

So if I'm a hockey player and someone is coming to check me and I want that guy suspended all I have to do is stick my head in the way?

Of course! Who wouldn't want to risk a career ending concussion just to get a guy suspended? Seems like a fair trade off to me.

devastating, uhh, forarm to the chest? it wouldn't be the first time emelin dove/embelleshed to sell a call. the ref was right there, and made the right non call. maybe the ref missed it, but when you have a player lying dead on the ice, you'd think they'd blow the play dead (no pun attended). maybe the habs should be doing more of michelle therrien's inspirational quote: "Keep calm and play ded."

at worst, 1 game for the "intent" but this really should be a non issue

devastating, uhh, forarm to the chest? it wouldn't be the first time emelin dove/embelleshed to sell a call. the ref was right there, and made the right non call. maybe the ref missed it, but when you have a player lying dead on the ice, you'd think they'd blow the play dead (no pun attended). maybe the habs should be doing more of michelle therrien's inspirational quote: "Keep calm and play ded."

at worst, 1 game for the "intent" but this really should be a non issue

It's 3 games unfortunately.

Its a little excessive in context of Keith's blatant sucker punch on Daniel.

Not saying that a suspension wasn't warranted, but if that hit is 3 games to a first time offender, Keith should have been gone for 10 for a premeditated hit!

Have seen a lot worse over the last couple of years that went without anything at all.

Emelin didn't make any sudden head movements before impact. If he had, then I agree with you, shouldn't be a suspension.

Zack knew that he missed the hit and that the player was in the direction that he swung his stick. It was a hard dangerous swing that showed an intent to hit him even if it wasn't to injure him. There is nothing wrong with what he got.

Archived