The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows to have phone hearing today.

SuperReverb2

In case anyone is wondering why so many O-6 players feel so entitled to use dirty-plays with impunity....check out the nonsense here with NO consequences at all.

http://youtu.be/-wfSViLSA1w

There are hockey plays, like Burr's hit on Emilin, ...and then there' s this^.

When even a senial character like Don Cherry sees the light in such matters,...it says something.

The refereeing of this game was complete crap from start to finish.

I'm normally a defender of officiating crews - it's really hard at the speed it goes to make the right call all the time. But MTL got hosed a number of times, we got hosed more times and at the end of the game, the refs decided it.

It ended the correct way, but the game should have decided that, not the fools in the stripes.

Kerry Fraser pipes in on officiating last night

http://www.tsn.ca/fraser-two-missed-picks-on-vancouver-s-ot-power-play-1.121403

"Alex Burrows should get some time off without pay to think about why he would dare make such a late, high hit from a poor slide-through angle that resulted in significant contact to the head of Alexei Emelin. There was no call on the play as both referees were guilty of 'puck watching' after Emelin's pass through the neutral zone was picked off by Nick Bonino. Both refs focused on the change of puck possession at the red line and got their wires crossed as to who should remain focused on a potential finishing check. We will await a decision by the Player Safety Committee on this dangerous and careless illegal check to the head.

While I'm okay with the ref's decision to penalize Tom Gilbert once he set a moving pick by going East-West against Alexander Edler, two separate picks on the ensuing power-play set by Radim Vrbata and then Kevin Bieksa were every bit deserving of a penalty call; if not more so. The infractions took place in open ice where both referees would have had a clear view of the play. So why were no armbands raised; not once but twice?

It appeared to me that the referees became stubborn when they detected some attempts at "salesmanship" by the Montreal players to get the call. The picks were legitimate as contact was deliberately initiated by the Vancouver players in open ice. Any minor theatrics that might have taken place following the illegal picks was not worthy of keeping the whistle in the holster; especially with Gibert serving a penalty for the same infraction. I am also sure there was some conscious thought process not to be perceived as whistling the dreaded 'make-up call.' Common sense and sound judgment should have overridden both of these debilitating thought processes to whatever degree they existed in the mind of either referee.

I fully endorse every effort to eradicate embellishment from the game. The referees have been instructed to make diving/embellishment a focus of emphasis as we have seen in this young season.

However, with a four on three situation in OT that created plenty of open space on the ice this was not the appropriate time to become either stubborn or attempt teach players a lesson about theatrics.

Vrbata dished the puck from the top right faceoff circle to Edler in the middle. Tomas Plekanec fronted Edler from a distance as the lone Habs high defender on the PK formation.

As Edler walked the puck toward the right side Vrbata skated directly at Plekanec, who was attempting to mirror the movement of the puck carrier. Vrbata initiated direct and deliberate contact with the Montreal defender. To restate; there was plenty of ice for Vrbata to take without 'bumping' into Plekanec. The deliberate contact initiated by Vrbata detained Plekanec from moving freely in his attempt to remain in front of Edler and establish position in the shot-block lane.

A momentary stall/pause was then followed by a 'reaction' from Plekanec as his body rotated and dropped to one knee. I see this as any easy call to make and both referees should have raised their arm the instant that contact was initiated. Any subsequent reaction from Plekanec was minimal and of no consequence to the infraction committed by Vrbata on the power-play.

Not long afterward, with 49 seconds remaining in the power-play, Bieksa retrieved the puck at his blue line with Manny Malhotra in pursuit. Bieksa retreated into the Canuck end zone as Malhotra backed off toward center ice. Bieksa started up ice, dropped the puck for Chris Higgins who swooped in from behind, and then proceeded to run a perfect one-man 'Flying V' to engage and contact Malhotra at the red line! Malhotra was attempting to intercept Higgins by moving laterally to his right but was taken out by Bieksa's body contact and stick restraint. I can only suspect that the subsequent left leg swoop that Malhotra utilized might have given the referees a false impression of the play. I know Manny Malholtra to be an extremely honest player; he's as honest as the day is long! This deliberate interference, initiated by Kevin Bieksa, was more worthy of a penalty than the two previous picks set by Gilbert and Vrbata.

With five seconds remaining in Tom Gilbert's interference penalty, Daniel Sedin deposited the puck behind Carey Price for the OT power play winner."

Nice article about the officating. Surprised there was no mention of Subban anywhere in it. :rolleyes:

Jeez, really? If I got blindsided across the face like that, I'd probably fall back like 'wtf' too.

On the Kesler scale, I don't think this even registers.

I'd suggest the Kesler scale is like the comparing Celsius to Kelvin. Emelin did get hit in the head, he was off balance, it would knock most NHL players down. That does not mean he didn't embellish to some degree. Perhaps he did, perhaps he didn't, doesn't really matter though...

Emelin should get 5 games for admiring his pass... Its the nhl. If u Wana admire you're pass, then pvr the game and admire it at home.

Shoulder to shoulder clean hit. Emelin leaned forward, 1 game or more would be a joke. It's a man's game.

It looks to me that the first point of contact was the shoulder which was braised before the hit to the head. The follow through of the hit makes it look much worse than the hit really was. Since most suspensions are awarded based on the injury, and since Emelin did not sustain one, I don't believe there will be a suspension.

Travesty of justice if Burr gets anything for this hit. Initial contact was hard to see right until I saw the still photos posted above. Shoulder is principle point of contact. No injury resulted. Doesn't meet any criteria to suspend.

Late hit, unsuspecting player? That is criteria to suspend. I'm not saying he will, should or shouldn't. I'm saying there is a reason they are having a phone hearing.

I was at the game but the hit was at the other end of the ice so I didn't really get to see it. They never even showed it on the jumbotron, so though I saw the guy on the ice for a few minutes I wasn't sure what had happened until I saw the video this morning after hearing that Burrows was getting a phone hearing. It's always concerning to see a guy on the ice, so I'm really glad to hear he's okay!

On first viewing of the video I actually thought Burr deserved a suspension, but when I paused the video to check frame by frame it became clear he tried and did hit through the body. The head contact was coincidental near the end of the hit.

burrowshitemelin_1.jpgburrowshitemelin_2.jpgburrowshitemelin_3.jpgburrowshitemelin_4.jpg

(Stills from Sportsnet video.)

If you look at Emelin's skate in relation to the blue line you can clearly see he's moved by the impact of the hit long before his head is contacted, thus proving that the body was the main point of contact.

As for the claim of lateness, being that Emelin is still in the follow through of his pass it's clearly not "long gone" and he's eligible to be hit.

We've seen this exact hit not face suspension pretty much every game. That being said though, the name "Burrows" on the back of the jersey likely means he'll get a 3-4 game suspension. I wouldn't be shocked for it to be 5. Pissed, but not shocked.

Those stills say head shot.

I watched the game with a hard core Habs fan friend, which was kind of nice in terms of balancing our reaction to the reffing. We were both in agreement that it was a bit late, could have used a penalty at the time or a fine afterwards. If there's a suspension beyond one or two games I'll be unhappy. In the meantime at least it could give a bit of a chance to experiment with Kassian or Vey on the 2nd line. It's been good but could be better imo.

I was amazed they let the Bieksa pick go though.

Those stills say head shot.

I disagree. To me it looks clearly like Burrows made shoulder to shoulder contact and the head contact came only later, which is allowed under NHL rules. But, if you'd like to show stills of similar hits that have received suspensions for an illegal head hit I'm certainly open to the education...

"Alex Burrows should get some time off without pay to think about why he would dare make such a late, high hit from a poor slide-through angle that resulted in significant contact to the head of Alexei Emelin. There was no call on the play as both referees were guilty of 'puck watching' after Emelin's pass through the neutral zone was picked off by Nick Bonino. Both refs focused on the change of puck possession at the red line and got their wires crossed as to who should remain focused on a potential finishing check. We will await a decision by the Player Safety Committee on this dangerous and careless illegal check to the head.

While I'm okay with the ref's decision to penalize Tom Gilbert once he set a moving pick by going East-West against Alexander Edler, two separate picks on the ensuing power-play set by Radim Vrbata and then Kevin Bieksa were every bit deserving of a penalty call; if not more so. The infractions took place in open ice where both referees would have had a clear view of the play. So why were no armbands raised; not once but twice?

It appeared to me that the referees became stubborn when they detected some attempts at "salesmanship" by the Montreal players to get the call. The picks were legitimate as contact was deliberately initiated by the Vancouver players in open ice. Any minor theatrics that might have taken place following the illegal picks was not worthy of keeping the whistle in the holster; especially with Gibert serving a penalty for the same infraction. I am also sure there was some conscious thought process not to be perceived as whistling the dreaded 'make-up call.' Common sense and sound judgment should have overridden both of these debilitating thought processes to whatever degree they existed in the mind of either referee.

I fully endorse every effort to eradicate embellishment from the game. The referees have been instructed to make diving/embellishment a focus of emphasis as we have seen in this young season.

However, with a four on three situation in OT that created plenty of open space on the ice this was not the appropriate time to become either stubborn or attempt teach players a lesson about theatrics.

Vrbata dished the puck from the top right faceoff circle to Edler in the middle. Tomas Plekanec fronted Edler from a distance as the lone Habs high defender on the PK formation.

As Edler walked the puck toward the right side Vrbata skated directly at Plekanec, who was attempting to mirror the movement of the puck carrier. Vrbata initiated direct and deliberate contact with the Montreal defender. To restate; there was plenty of ice for Vrbata to take without 'bumping' into Plekanec. The deliberate contact initiated by Vrbata detained Plekanec from moving freely in his attempt to remain in front of Edler and establish position in the shot-block lane.

A momentary stall/pause was then followed by a 'reaction' from Plekanec as his body rotated and dropped to one knee. I see this as any easy call to make and both referees should have raised their arm the instant that contact was initiated. Any subsequent reaction from Plekanec was minimal and of no consequence to the infraction committed by Vrbata on the power-play.

Not long afterward, with 49 seconds remaining in the power-play, Bieksa retrieved the puck at his blue line with Manny Malhotra in pursuit. Bieksa retreated into the Canuck end zone as Malhotra backed off toward center ice. Bieksa started up ice, dropped the puck for Chris Higgins who swooped in from behind, and then proceeded to run a perfect one-man 'Flying V' to engage and contact Malhotra at the red line! Malhotra was attempting to intercept Higgins by moving laterally to his right but was taken out by Bieksa's body contact and stick restraint. I can only suspect that the subsequent left leg swoop that Malhotra utilized might have given the referees a false impression of the play. I know Manny Malholtra to be an extremely honest player; he's as honest as the day is long! This deliberate interference, initiated by Kevin Bieksa, was more worthy of a penalty than the two previous picks set by Gilbert and Vrbata.

With five seconds remaining in Tom Gilbert's interference penalty, Daniel Sedin deposited the puck behind Carey Price for the OT power play winner."

Man, this guy. Conveniently leaving out points that counter argue his statement.(Subban mugging Daniel, late Weise call early in the game).

What happened to referee's union, throwing his buddies under the bus like that.

The reffing was bad both ways.

Not a game I see going down in the refereeing hall of fame any time soon.

Nice article about the officating. Surprised there was no mention of Subban anywhere in it. :rolleyes:

Yah - no mention of PK assaulting a downed-player lying on his back....nor all of the picks along the boards and in the Habs' offensive zones, that had 'Nucks-fans complaining during the 1st & second periods. Fraser is proving to be a bit of a Habs homer in his evaluations here.

OMG, a flailing fall down. 3/10 Slowed down, every hit looks late...real time, he had JUST gotten rid of the puck and Burr follows through. But yeah, I suppose we'll start this nonsense again and he'll get 22 games. And Miller will get 5, for being in net at the time. Whatever. Because we are to play like princesses.

well said !

Yah - no mention of PK assaulting a downed-player lying on his back....nor all of the picks along the boards and in the Habs' offensive zones, that had 'Nucks-fans complaining during the 1st & second periods. Fraser is proving to be a bit of a Habs homer in his evaluations here.

Right?!

If you heard someone screaming "F... off, Suban!" during the game, that was me. LOL

So the refs punished the Habs for diving. We suffered that for years.

Man, this guy. Conveniently leaving out points that counter argue his statement.(Subban mugging Daniel, late Weise call early in the game).

What happened to referee's union, throwing his buddies under the bus like that.

The reffing was bad both ways.

Not a game I see going down in the refereeing hall of fame any time soon.

When you nitpick the rulebook as closely as Fraser does in his article Dorsett should have had a penalty shot in the first period.

Archived