The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 5 - 2 Avalanche

-Vintage Canuck-

I think we are slowly building an identity.

In the offensive zone, I'm noticing a lot of cycling.

The Sedins have always cycled - it's their bread and butter and WD lets them do their thing.

Bonino, Higgins and Burrows are monsters along the boards and at winning loose puck battles there - great cyclers.

And how about that 3rd line - really really liking having two big bodied wingers in Matthias and Kassian who seem to be impossible to knock off pucks with a defensive center in Richardson - they also seem to be great at cycling - Matthias and Kassian are so great at using their body to shield the puck and hardly get knocked off - they may be our answer to the big bodies in the West.

4th line plays solid every shift - and Bo picked it up right away and kept up with Dorsett and Hansen.

Good bounce back game from a loss and down 2 nothing. It's exactly the kind of attitude to keep headed into Cali.

-Horvat was ok. No major mistakes but no major surprises in a good way. .. It's way too early for people to say he's our version of Toews. He just met minimal expectations, guess you can't ask too much from a player in his first game that's defensively minded first. Let's see if he can build off this but if he plateaus he should be sent back down

-Great team effort. Miller is really making me wish we had him instead of Luongo for the 5 years.

I think that's a completely fair statement.

Bonino is outscoring Kesler at a fraction of the price, and hes younger with a brighter future to boot! On top of all that, we also got Sbisa who is a good depth-D, AND a first round prospect that is tearing up juniors?

I stick to my "this is looking like a landslide" comment.

When you're comparing the trade you have to look at what each team was looking to gain out of it.

Anaheim was looking to get a shutdown center that could free up Getzlaf and Perry to focus on scoring goals. And based on the fact that Perry looks like he may win the Rocket Richard this season, I would say it's going pretty well for them.

While we got pieces to help us now, and hopefully in the future, they got the piece to help them now, which is what they really needed. So I would call it a win-win so far.

Yesss! Great game from the Canucks. After the 2-1 goal I was confident that we would win. The Canucks were shutting down the Avs speed and were making strong pushbacks all night. Ryan Miller was amazing. Kept a cool head after the second goal and shut the door for the rest of the game making skilled, smart saves and was not intimidated by anyone. The Higgins, Bonino line is amazing. I think Higgins has finally found a linemate he can play really well with. Not too mention Mathias, Kassian, Sedins, Dorsett and basically everybody played great :) .

Impressive, this group does not give up.

Quick question, why was the goal by Dorsett not called off? Horvat was definitely in the blue paint ... is there a judgment call by ref on that?

IIRC, there also needs to be contact with the goalie. You can be in the paint as long as you aren't interfering.

Of course, the rules change so much, I may be mistaken.

I only got to see the 5 Canuck goals... got to see the best part I guess. Way to go, Canucks! Keep it going!

go canucks go and for once i will cheer for flames they have a young hard working team and i miss when pkaying them wasnt a guarantee win like the last 5 yrs poor edmonton if only theyd fire their brass no clue in hockey matters watsoever

Could you imagine they started rebuilding when you were in University and now that you started a family of your own, they are still in that process...

22nd in the league in Save %

17th in the league in GAA

and yet there's only one stat that matters:

5Bnkaou.jpg

This^^^^^^ along with the enthusiastic support for Bo Horvat are my nominees for posts of the night...the only thing that matters from our goaltending is that it is better than the opposition's goaltending on a night-after-night basis. If that means we win 7-6, 4-3, 2-1 or 1-0 is meaningless to me...as long as our goalies keep one less goal out vs. opposing goalies, we'll be just fine.

How about watching the Canucks when you were 7 years old, and poof. It's 40 years later.

But i'm talking about only now tho...

and the Canucks have gone thru many stages and at the very least there was an end to it all. That's what i mean.

It can't be understated how important it was to start that road trip off with a win.

California is gonna be Thunderdome, and the Canucks are gonna have to be at their best to get some points.

So much better to be going in on a high though. Now they know they can win when they're down, which is huge.

Horvat took the Opening draw and I thought to myself we'll be seeing him take more of these in the years to come.

Missed the game and just watched Horvat take the opening draw and literally went to my class. saw the game and great effort in the 3rd

It can't be understated how important it was to start that road trip off with a win.

California is gonna be Thunderdome, and the Canucks are gonna have to be at their best to get some points.

So much better to be going in on a high though. Now they know they can win when they're down, which is huge.

win or lose, i'm interested in seeing how we compete against those teams.

Archived