The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Propsoal] Bolstering up at the trade deadline

It's trade deadline and Nucks are top 5 in the West standings. The 2nd half of the season is the hardest finishing off especially with all the tough Western teams and Canucks are in a position where they have a chance to possibly beat the powerhouse teams but at the same time aren't real contenders. Keep in mind the team is retooling and there is an emphasis on the future, here's some moves I'd love to see that get us competitive for the playoffs, add toughness for teams like LA, and get us younger one way or another.

Trade 1

TO VANCOUVER

- 2015 3rd round pick

TO AN EAST CONTENDER

- Jannik Hansen

...Hansen is a redundant player on the team and shows us he can't finish. Redundant.

Trade 2

TO VANCOUVER

- Shane Doan (50% salary retained)

TO ARIZONA

- Eddie Lack

- Brendan Gaunce/Cole Cassels

...Yotes are not a contender any longer. When Doan extended his contract there, he hoped the team would continue to get better with a WCF appearance but that certainly hasn't been the case. Smith is old and regressing and they have a big need for help down the middle. Lack would give them immediate relief and give time for Visentin to develop who has not been as good as hyped, and Gaunce gives them depth down the road. Doan comes to Vancouver which he was rumoured to before he signed with Arizona and it gives us a big body to compete with the Pacific teams. Doan is signed for 2 years which is manageable and we get him at 50% cap @ $2.65 million. 38 years of age, this fair value for Arizona and JB has

a track record of bringing in key veteran players to help his team's when in a position like ours - Jagr/Iggy/Meszaros/Corvo/Eriksson/Zanon/Seidenberg/Boychuk/Dr.Recchi/Wideman/Ference/etc...

Trade 3

TO VANCOUVER

- David Savard

TO COLUMBUS

- 2016 5th round pick

...Jackets have a surplus of dmen and Savard has been knocked down the depth charts due to it. Columbus is not a playoff team by any means this year and their GM Jarmo Kekalainen loves draft picks. Seems like a fair trade, Savard being a right handed shot is plus. He's got a fair offensive game for a dman and is physically strong on defenders and relatively young.

Daniel - Henrik - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Doan

Burrows - Richardson - Kassian

Matthias - Horvat - Vey

Dorsett, Jensen, Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Savard

Stanton, Weber

Miller

Markstrom

IN: Doan, Savard, 2015 3rd

OUT: Hansen, Lack, Gaunce/Cassels, 2016 5th

Lose lots of youth it seems but it's all because we can afford it. Lack gone, we have Markstrom/Eriksson/Demko. Gaunce/Cassles gone, we have Horvat/one of Gaunce or Cassels/McCann/Vey. Get a top 6 dman 24 years old and Doan to possibly go for a good run while not severely losing much plus gaining a pick in this years draft.

I only like the first deal.

We might be doing well now, but Im not quite sold that we can be a solid competitor yet for the cup. And trading off Gaunce or Cassels isn't really all that exciting since now they are putting some solid numbers each. Only way I would consider moving them was for a more long term player for this organization.

Third one I feel a 5th rounder really underrates Savard. He quietly has done very well for the Blue jackets especially in the midst of Murray being hampered with injuries, Johnson hasn't lived up to expectations, Wisnewski being a circus all together. Savard to me is the calming influence like Tanev has been to our team. Jarmo would want more

I would only do the 1st trade if one of our prospects prove to be at least just as good at the NHL level.

We're looking to make a playoff run, so I wouldn't want to just trade Hansen for a draft pick and weaken our team (even though somewhat redundant - he provides depth and plays some good minutes).

It'll probably be Jensen or Lain - Lain could come in as the 4C and move Vey to the RW position Hansen used to play, or Jensen could slot into RW directly where Hansen used to play.

The general track record in the NHL is that trading youth for veterans at the deadline is usually a waste of prospects; something which this team doesn't have in spades.

I agree but I wouldn't catergorize Doan into the washed up old vet section yet. He still plays terrific hockey and would be our best 2nd line arguably with Bonino. Not just that, his style of play would give us a big time boost against the LA's/SJS's/Ducks. Had 47 points in 69 games last year and this year on a much worse team, he has 9 points in 15 games. Clearly it's not just just tough, stand up play, he produces too. He'd be the closest thing we'd have since Bertuzzi and think about that, that's something special, even at age 38. Jagr/Iggy are old and still one of the best and I would classify Doan with them.

Def think it'd be a positive move and would be great to have a player like him instead of the redundant styles of players we already have. Could go a long ways for Kassian too as a true mentor.

It's trade deadline and Nucks are top 5 in the West standings. The 2nd half of the season is the hardest finishing off especially with all the tough Western teams and Canucks are in a position where they have a chance to possibly beat the powerhouse teams but at the same time aren't real contenders. Keep in mind the team is retooling and there is an emphasis on the future, here's some moves I'd love to see that get us competitive for the playoffs, add toughness for teams like LA, and get us younger one way or another.

Trade 1

TO VANCOUVER

- 2015 3rd round pick

TO AN EAST CONTENDER

- Jannik Hansen

...Hansen is a redundant player on the team and shows us he can't finish. Redundant.

Trade 2

TO VANCOUVER

- Shane Doan (50% salary retained)

TO ARIZONA

- Eddie Lack

- Brendan Gaunce/Cole Cassels

...Yotes are not a contender any longer. When Doan extended his contract there, he hoped the team would continue to get better with a WCF appearance but that certainly hasn't been the case. Smith is old and regressing and they have a big need for help down the middle. Lack would give them immediate relief and give time for Visentin to develop who has not been as good as hyped, and Gaunce gives them depth down the road. Doan comes to Vancouver which he was rumoured to before he signed with Arizona and it gives us a big body to compete with the Pacific teams. Doan is signed for 2 years which is manageable and we get him at 50% cap @ $2.65 million. 38 years of age, this fair value for Arizona and JB has

a track record of bringing in key veteran players to help his team's when in a position like ours - Jagr/Iggy/Meszaros/Corvo/Eriksson/Zanon/Seidenberg/Boychuk/Dr.Recchi/Wideman/Ference/etc...

Trade 3

TO VANCOUVER

- David Savard

TO COLUMBUS

- 2016 5th round pick

...Jackets have a surplus of dmen and Savard has been knocked down the depth charts due to it. Columbus is not a playoff team by any means this year and their GM Jarmo Kekalainen loves draft picks. Seems like a fair trade, Savard being a right handed shot is plus. He's got a fair offensive game for a dman and is physically strong on defenders and relatively young.

Daniel - Henrik - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Doan

Burrows - Richardson - Kassian

Matthias - Horvat - Vey

Dorsett, Jensen, Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Savard

Stanton, Weber

Miller

Markstrom

IN: Doan, Savard, 2015 3rd

OUT: Hansen, Lack, Gaunce/Cassels, 2016 5th

Lose lots of youth it seems but it's all because we can afford it. Lack gone, we have Markstrom/Eriksson/Demko. Gaunce/Cassles gone, we have Horvat/one of Gaunce or Cassels/McCann/Vey. Get a top 6 dman 24 years old and Doan to possibly go for a good run while not severely losing much plus gaining a pick in this years draft.

So...you trade away 2 picks and 2 key pieces of our youth movement up the middle for Shane Doan?

Without even mentioning his age, I have to say nope. To much subtraction for not enough (aging) return in Doan no matter how much I like the guy.

Savard won't be had for that and Hansen is needed in a playoff run as without him we've Burrows, Kassian and...Grenier as our RW's

1. Hansen brings speed and defence, something I don't think the prospects are ready to replace at this time. That could change by the trade deadline. He has a restricted NTC.

There are many Hansen-haters on CDC and they'll love this proposal.

2. Doan's still effective as a player, brings size and grit and character, and it would make Vancouver a better playoff team in 2015, unless Doan gets hurt or suffers the effects of being 38 years old.

I can't see any reason for the Canucks to even consider trading youth for him. It's the wrong direction for this team to go. Getting an effective very short-term player is not worth giving up the future for.

3. Trade 3-ok, our evaluations of Savard's value are totally different. He's got size, a good shot, skates well and is physical. He's played all 15 games of this young season so far for the Jackets and is 2nd on the team in average time on the ice. That doesn't sound like he's far down the depth chart.

Obviously the Canucks would love to do this trade but I don't see why the Jackets would consider it.

1. I wouldn't do it. Not worth it to just throw him away for a pick when he's got more value (he won't finish but can make plays)

2. Agreed, he's too old to give that much up. That plus our top 6 is pretty set and I would want to use Kass as the playoff power forward who gets the garbage goals (much like Bickell did before for Chicago)
3. I'd probably do this if the Jackets would-- potential R.H. PP QB with size would be appealing especially if he would play physical.

Not sure who I'd pick up to be honest. There's a solid mix of scoring (Danny, Vrbata, Vey), play-making (Bones, Hank) and two-way gritty guys (Higgins, Burr, Matthias, Kass, Horvat*) and checkers (Richie, Dorsett, Hansen). Maybe an emerging, physical forward who can score from in front but again I'd use Kass (or maybe sign Penner just for the role) and a good puck-moving defenseman for the PP. MAYBE I'd go for Chris Stewart or Michael Ryder with Jannik Hansen but other than that I'd stand pat.

1. I wouldn't trade hansen because even if he is just a scratch for most of the playoffs he would be a great replacment for an inevitable injury.

2. I like the Doan trade if we are looking like we will make a run. It would really add some good depth to the team and we do have a backup of goalies/2 way centers in our prospect pool.

3. Getting Savard would be good but we may need to give a little more than a fifth round pick (which I would be willing to do).

Archived