The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ferguson, Missouri Grand Jury Decision Update: No Indictmen of Officer Who Shot Michael Brown

DonLever

I agree, but what does this have to do with institutionalized racism, rather than a police state?

The system is known for targeting black males at a disproportionately high rate. They are much likely to be convicted of a crime and for longer than other ethnic groups while committing the same crimes. Maybe institutionalized is a strong word, but it still is a prevalent problem.

Slavery was not some new concept. Slavery has existed basically as long as we have organized into large groups. The African slave trade was already a massive thing before Europeans took part in it. There were many significant kingdoms and civilizations within Africa at the time and slavery was already an established institution. What the Europeans and those in the Middle East (just as guilty) did was make that market lucrative. They exploited the system and basically made it explode. They used economics to justify a lot of their actions, and when those were questioned they moved to racial arguments.

The point of this is not to excuse Europeans (white people) for their actions. Slavery in the US (and other countries like Brazil who didn't outlaw slavery until 1888) became monstrous institutions. There is no denying that. The people who benefited most from the slave trade were white. There is no denying that. But it is not a minor footnote to point out that slavery has basically received participation from nearly every ethnic group on the planet at some time or another. This in no way denies the fact that racism has been used as a tool of systematic oppression of the "other" cultural groups within the USA.

Not the Australian aborigine , and they did not fight wars either, until they were forced to defend themselves from the whitemen who invaded their land.

What makes the US different from other states is that their nation was founded by white men who had suffered oppression , persecution and in some cases whitemans version of slavery-indentured service ,they claimed that all men were created equal , trouble was freedom and equality did not apply to the black man or the redman, these guys should have known better being victims of oppression themselves.

It doesn't matter. The fact is the US has a systemic problem with institutionalized racial discrimination within the justice system. It doesn't matter if the US is the worst, or just middle of the pack, as that's a distraction from the issue. The issue is real and present, and that is there is real discrimination against those who are perceived to be black.

?

If people have trouble distinguishing between blacks and whites we have a much greater problem at hand.

Jokes aside you have a very valid point. It should not matter what race the officer is. The fact that unarmed civilians regardless of race are being for lack of a better term mowed down at an alarming rate is indisputable. But it goes so much deeper than that.

Media glorifies violence and invokes fear at will amongst the masses of uneducated zombies. The completely insane agenda of media/entertainment industry regurgitates the same pathetic watered down literature and bunk science that controls the populations gaze. Completely manipulating events and social ideals while we blindly lap it up like warm milk.

We are all equally to blame for acting like a bunch of Dammed dirty apes ! We let theses governments strip us of our rights and freedoms without any fight. We allow perverse dogma and fairy tales to be the foundations of our cultures and society. We allow corporations and banks to poison us and rob us blind while saying please and thank you.

Social change will only happen if we stop the real crimes happening within governments of the world. Not by voting, that has never worked and will never work . An election is the greatest deception of modern times. They control all aspects of the process and have all the pawns in place to ensure there is only one person to vote for. Theirs !

It is high time we stopped these vile money hungry war mongering psychopaths dictate our lives. The social policies in place are designed to keep us struggling. It all starts in the ghettos with the gentrification of millions. Breaking their will as early as possible and making them believe the government is the crutch they need to keep walking.

With a system like this I am blown away we have lasted this long.

Who comprises the more likely shooters/killers of blacks in America? Wanna take a guess? (psst... it's blacks, by a wide margin)

Why don't Jackson and Sharpton make as much noise about black on black violence as they do white on black violence? Care to make a guess there too? Tough choice between money and power, so that question is a little tougher.

It would be a better world if people like Jackson and Sharpton were more worried about a safer, more productive world for the black community than their own pockets.

I agree there are some issues with some members of the police. However, I heard on the radio today (no source was given) that there are twice as many whites killed by cops than blacks (unsure of the timeframe in question). That's not in alignment with the population spread as a whole (I'm guessing about 5 whites for each black in the US, but this is top of my head), but considering a black is more likely to be engaged by police, per your comment, that makes it a pretty significant detail.

And, specific to the two cases in the news lately, both of the deceased were resisting arrest (obviously more so with Brown). It would be curious to know how many lives would be saved if people did not resist arrest. If there was no struggle, Brown and Gardner would still be alive today. And if the arrests were somehow proven racially motivated, then punishment to the cops would be justified. And Brown and Gardner could be making more noise about it than they are now.

(Actually, I don't even remember if Brown resisted arrest or if he made his move before being arrested. Regardless, his own actions got him killed.)

Many a black rapper has bemoaned that fact , Killing our own.

Sharpton and jackson and media hungry whores but they have nothing to do with the centuries of persecution their race has suffered at the hands of white people.

I was reading an article that made the claim you are making that more whites are killed by cops than blacks and over all this is true , but when you factor in the percentages ,% of whites in population and % of blacks , a black person is 3 times more likely to be shot by a cop than a white person.

It is almost unbelievable to a aussie that there is justification for killing an unarmed man wether he is resisting arrest or not.

As i have already pointed out in this thread , several NSW policemen who tasered an unarmed man 9 times and murdered him are despite their efforts not too, going to be held accountable for their actions.

?

If people have trouble distinguishing between blacks and whites we have a much greater problem at hand.

Jokes aside you have a very valid point. It should not matter what race the officer is. The fact that unarmed civilians regardless of race are being for lack of a better term mowed down at an alarming rate is indisputable. But it goes so much deeper than that.

Media glorifies violence and invokes fear at will amongst the masses of uneducated zombies. The completely insane agenda of media/entertainment industry regurgitates the same pathetic watered down literature and bunk science that controls the populations gaze. Completely manipulating events and social ideals while we blindly lap it up like warm milk.

We are all equally to blame for acting like a bunch of Dammed dirty apes ! We let theses governments strip us of our rights and freedoms without any fight. We allow perverse dogma and fairy tales to be the foundations of our cultures and society. We allow corporations and banks to poison us and rob us blind while saying please and thank you.

Social change will only happen if we stop the real crimes happening within governments of the world. Not by voting, that has never worked and will never work . An election is the greatest deception of modern times. They control all aspects of the process and have all the pawns in place to ensure there is only one person to vote for. Theirs !

It is high time we stopped these vile money hungry war mongering psychopaths dictate our lives. The social policies in place are designed to keep us struggling. It all starts in the ghettos with the gentrification of millions. Breaking their will as early as possible and making them believe the government is the crutch they need to keep walking.

I do not think this is true in Aus my friend , the greens last term and Clive and his palmer united party holding the balance of power this term is a testament to that belief, the bastards are not getting the mandate they want. federally there are other choices apart from a giant dueche or a turd sandwich , mind you clive is like a giant turd eating dueche.

We have a few pollies that are fighting for our rights , Nick Xenophon and Sarah Hansen Young In particular are standouts and a disillusioned aussie voter is voting for more independents in each election.

Freedom is the participation in power - cicero , as imperfect as it is our one vote is our participation in power and it really can affect change, just ask little johnny howard :lol:

Who comprises the more likely shooters/killers of blacks in America? Wanna take a guess? (psst... it's blacks, by a wide margin)

Why don't Jackson and Sharpton make as much noise about black on black violence as they do white on black violence? Care to make a guess there too? Tough choice between money and power, so that question is a little tougher.

It would be a better world if people like Jackson and Sharpton were more worried about a safer, more productive world for the black community than their own pockets.

I agree there are some issues with some members of the police. However, I heard on the radio today (no source was given) that there are twice as many whites killed by cops than blacks (unsure of the timeframe in question). That's not in alignment with the population spread as a whole (I'm guessing about 5 whites for each black in the US, but this is top of my head), but considering a black is more likely to be engaged by police, per your comment, that makes it a pretty significant detail.

And, specific to the two cases in the news lately, both of the deceased were resisting arrest (obviously more so with Brown). It would be curious to know how many lives would be saved if people did not resist arrest. If there was no struggle, Brown and Gardner would still be alive today. And if the arrests were somehow proven racially motivated, then punishment to the cops would be justified. And Brown and Gardner could be making more noise about it than they are now.

(Actually, I don't even remember if Brown resisted arrest or if he made his move before being arrested. Regardless, his own actions got him killed.)

First you say Brown resisted, then you say you don't remember? Okay, so you really don't know what you're talking about. You think it's okay for Gardner to be choked to death by a cop who already had 2 lawsuits against him for police abuse? He CLEARLY says he can't breathe in the video. Do you think it's okay for the police to choke him to death for selling untaxed cigarettes? The city medical examiner ruled his death a HOMICIDE.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Eric-Garner-Chokehold-Police-Custody-Cause-of-Death-Staten-Island-Medical-Examiner-269396151.html

?

If you don't think voting is the answer, what's your solution?

The system is known for targeting black males at a disproportionately high rate. They are much likely to be convicted of a crime and for longer than other ethnic groups while committing the same crimes. Maybe institutionalized is a strong word, but it still is a prevalent problem.

Have you considered that blacks are simply committing more crimes disproportionate to those who are white? Or do you think that races commit crimes equally?

What about saying blacks are more prone to sickle cell? Is that racist? Isn't everyone equal?

Slavery has been around since the dawn of time. Iirc a poster here has a biblical reference to slavery as part of his sig. My quibble was with the "every black man was loaded on the boats by another black man". I said then and maintain now- that was too definitive a statement.

wonder how many blacks have been killed by other blacks through gang violence since both these incidents happened.

why don't they go protest about that?

oh wait that won't make national news so they don't..

They don't protest about that because a white person wasn't involved.

The speed limit was 25mph on the installation I was stationed at. The citations issued were given by a vast majority to younger white males. I guess that means that the speed limit was a racist law toward younger white males. The speed limit should be raised to 35mph so the younger white people stop getting citations for speeding. See where I'm getting at here?

The speed limit was 25mph on the installation I was stationed at. The citations issued were given by a vast majority to younger white males. I guess that means that the speed limit was a racist law toward younger white males. The speed limit should be raised to 35mph so the younger white people stop getting citations for speeding. See where I'm getting at here?

Yeah, bullshit.

So in your example, young black males must be speeding more than young white males, whites are just getting more citations, right? No? You mean they speed more and get more citations? How is that similar to selling less drugs than whites but being more likely to go to jail for it? Right, it's not similar at all.

Is there a part of "disproportionately" that you need help with?

Slavery has been around since the dawn of time. Iirc a poster here has a biblical reference to slavery as part of his sig. My quibble was with the "every black man was loaded on the boats by another black man". I said then and maintain now- that was too definitive a statement.

Not sure if you are referring to me here at all, since you were questioning my definitive statement about blacks selling blacks into slavery. But I don't have any biblical references in my sig, so maybe someone else is pointing this out too.

Anyhoo, not sure how valid the source, but it was the first that came up on a google search and the site looks pretty respectable:

"European traders captured some Africans in raids along the coast, but bought most of them from local African or African-European dealers. These dealers had a sophisticated network of trading alliances collecting groups of people together for sale.

Most of the Africans who were enslaved were captured in battles or were kidnapped, though some were sold into slavery for debt or as punishment. The captives were marched to the coast, often enduring long journeys of weeks or even months, shackled to one another. At the coast they were imprisoned in large stone forts, built by European trading companies, or in smaller wooden compounds."

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/slavery/africa/capture_sale.aspx

Ok, so remove the word "every" from my earlier statement, but it rings true for the majority of black slaves for the West Africa slave trade.

This also helps clarify the debate with Buddha'sHand, regarding how they were taken.

So, can we all agree now that black people share a significant portion of the blame for putting other blacks into slavery in the Western world?

First you say Brown resisted, then you say you don't remember? Okay, so you really don't know what you're talking about. You think it's okay for Gardner to be choked to death by a cop who already had 2 lawsuits against him for police abuse? He CLEARLY says he can't breathe in the video. Do you think it's okay for the police to choke him to death for selling untaxed cigarettes? The city medical examiner ruled his death a HOMICIDE.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Eric-Garner-Chokehold-Police-Custody-Cause-of-Death-Staten-Island-Medical-Examiner-269396151.html

That's right... ignore the facts and revert to attacking the people trying to educate you. I don't remember if he was being arrested before he decided to assult Wilson. That's all. So, whether it was assault, or resisting arrest violently, Brown deserved what he got, based on the facts published.

It is unfortunate that Gardner died. Gardner was breaking the law selling the cigarettes. A law that the city decided to crack down on:

"In January 2014, tough new penalties for selling untaxed cigarettes took effect in New York City. In July, emboldened by the new law, the city’s highest-ranking uniformed cop, Philip Banks, issued an order to crack down on loosie sales days before Garner died.

So in terms of police cracking down on Garner, the real responsibility lies with Bloomberg and NYPD Chief Bill Bratton. Idiot laws lead to meaningless deaths."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/12/03/actual-facts-Eric-Garner

Gardner then resisted arrest, which is also "CLEARLY" shown in the video.

Do you even know the definition of homicide?

"Homicide is when one human being causes the death of another. Not all homicide is murder, as some killings are manslaughter, and some are lawful, such as when justified by an affirmative defense, like insanity or self-defense."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/homicide

Yes, Gardner's death involved the choking he received as a result of his resisting arrest. But, can anyone prove that the cop intended to kill him. Not a chance. Tackling Gardner down was justified. The method of the takedown may be questionable. As I stated earlier, some holds are illegal, some are against NYPD policy, and others are fine. I haven't heard anyone with any authority on the issue definitively state which was the case here, and as I stated earlier, if it was against policy, then there's a good change a civil suit would be won by the family.

But let me reiterate the underlying point of my post you are trying to belittle: if someone is being arrested, and that person resists arrest, bad things will happen. If the person is lucky, just some added penalty. Maybe some bumps and bruises. If the person is less lucky, real injuries or worse may result, especially with a more violent response. Or, in this case, when the person being arrested has health issues to begin with.

What I've Learned from Two Years Collecting Data on Police Killings

http://gawker.com/what-ive-learned-from-two-years-collecting-data-on-poli-1625472836

A few days ago, Deadspin's Kyle Wagner began to compile a list of all police-involved shootings in the U.S. He's not the only one to undertake such a project: D. Brian Burghart, editor of the Reno News & Review, has been attempting a crowdsourced national database of deadly police violence. We asked Brian to write about what he's learned from his project.

It began simply enough. Commuting home from my work at Reno's alt-weekly newspaper, the News & Review, on May 18, 2012, I drove past the aftermath of a police shooting—in this case, that of a man named Jace Herndon. It was a chaotic scene, and I couldn't help but wonder how often it happened.

I went home and grabbed my laptop and a glass of wine and tried to find out. I found nothing—a failure I simply chalked up to incompetent local media.

A few months later I read about the Dec. 6, 2012, killing of a naked and unarmed 18-year-old college student, Gil Collar, by University of South Alabama police. The killing had attracted national coverage—The New York Times, the Associated Press, CNN—but there was still no context being provided—no figures examining how many people are killed by police.

I started to search in earnest. Nowhere could I find out how many people died during interactions with police in the United States. Try as I might, I just couldn't wrap my head around that idea. How was it that, in the 21st century, this data wasn't being tracked, compiled, and made available to the public? How could journalists know if police were killing too many people in their town if they didn't have a way to compare to other cities? Hell, how could citizens or police? How could cops possibly know "best practices" for dealing with any fluid situation? They couldn't.

The bottom line was that I found the absence of such a library of police killings offensive. And so I decided to build it. I'm still building it. But I could use some help. You can find my growing database of deadly police violence here, at Fatal Encounters, and I invite you to go here, research one of the listed shootings, fill out the row, and change its background color. It'll take you about 25 minutes. There are thousands to choose from, and another 2,000 or so on my cloud drive that I haven't even added yet. After I fact-check and fill in the cracks, your contribution will be added to largest database about police violence in the country. Feel free to check out what has been collected about your locale's information here.

This database contains the incidents for which the most complete information has been compiled from …Read more fatalencounters.​org

The biggest thing I've taken away from this project is something I'll never be able to prove, but I'm convinced to my core: The lack of such a database is intentional. No government—not the federal government, and not the thousands of municipalities that give their police forces license to use deadly force—wants you to know how many people it kills and why.

It's the only conclusion that can be drawn from the evidence. What evidence? In attempting to collect this information, I was lied to and delayed by the FBI, even when I was only trying to find out the addresses of police departments to make public records requests. The government collects millions of bits of data annually about law enforcement in its Uniform Crime Report, but it doesn't collect information about the most consequential act a law enforcer can do.

I've been lied to and delayed by state, county and local law enforcement agencies—almost every time. They've blatantly broken public records laws, and then thumbed their authoritarian noses at the temerity of a citizen asking for information that might embarrass the agency. And these are the people in charge of enforcing the law.

The second biggest thing I learned is that bad journalism colludes with police to hide this information. The primary reason for this is that police will cut off information to reporters who tell tales. And a reporter can't work if he or she can't talk to sources. It happened to me on almost every level as I advanced this year-long Fatal Encounters series through the News & Review. First they talk; then they stop, then they roadblock.

In Fatal Encounters, the RN&R will look at the stories, statistics and impacts of police use of …Read more newsreview.​com

Take Philadelphia for example. In Philadelphia, the police generally don't disclose the names of victims of police violence, and they don't disclose the names of police officers who kill people. What reporter has time to go to the most dangerous sections of town to try to find someone who knows the name of the victim or the details of a killing? At night, on deadline, are you kidding? So with no victim and no officer, there's no real story, but the information is known, consumed and mulled over in an ever-darkening cloud of neighborhood anger.

Many Gawker readers watched in horror as Albuquerque police killed James Boyd, a homeless man, for illegal camping. Look at these stats, though (I don't know if they're comprehensive; I believe they are): In Bernallilo County, N.M., three people were killed by police in 2012; in 2013, five. In Shelby County, Tenn., nine people were killed by police in 2012; in 2013, 11.

Who the hell knew Memphis Police were killing men at more than double the rate the cops were killing people in Albuquerque? But when I emailed the reporter at the Memphis Commercial Appeal to track the numbers back further, I got no response. I bought a subscription, but haven't been able return to research in that region. (Why don't you help me out? Just do a last name search here before you dig in.)

There are many other ways that bad or sloppy journalism undermines the ability of researchers to gather data on police shootings. Reporters make fundamental errors or typos; they accept police excuses for not releasing names of the dead or the shooters, or don't publish the decedents' names even if they're released; they don't publish police or coroner's reports. Sometimes they don't show their work: This otherwise excellent St. Louis Post-Dispatch article claims there were 15 fatal shooting cases involving law enforcement agencies between January 2007 to September 30, 2011—but provides few names and dates for further research efforts.

And that list doesn't even get into fundamental errors in attitude toward police killing—for example, the tendency of large outlets and wire services to treat killings as local matters, and not worth tracking widely. Even though police brutality is a national crisis. Journalists also don't generally report the race of the person killed. Why? It's unethical to report it unless it's germane to the story. But race is always germane when police kill somebody.

This is the most most heinous thing I've learned in my two years compiling Fatal Encounters. You know who dies in the most population-dense areas? Black men. You know who dies in the least population dense areas? Mentally ill men. It's not to say there aren't dangerous and desperate criminals killed across the line. But African-Americans and the mentally ill people make up a huge percentage of people killed by police.

And if you want to get down to nut-cuttin' time, across the board, it's poor people who are killed by police. (And by the way, around 96 percent of people killed by police are men.)

But maybe most important thing I learned is that collecting this information is hard. I still firmly believe that having a large, searchable database will allow us not just better understanding of these incidents, but better training, policies and protocols for police, and consequently fewer dead people and police. But normal people don't much care about numbers. Trolls intentionally try to pollute the data. Subterranean disinformationists routinely get out fake numbers. I try to take advantage of the public passion when when an incendiary event happens, like the death of Kelly Thomas, James Boyd, Eric Garner or Michael Brown. Or when a Deadspin writer decides to get involved. My girlfriend calls this "riding the spike." I call it journalism. Or maybe, obsession.

NYPD shooting victim’s family: Stay away, Sharpton!

The family of police-shooting victim Akai Gurley had a message on Friday for the Rev. Al Sharpton: Keep your “circus” away from his funeral!

The blowhard opportunist muscled his way into the arrangements — and even put out press releases promising to deliver the eulogy — without ever consulting the family or offering to foot the bill.

But Gurley’s relatives told Sharpton to stay away rather than turn the somber ceremonies into a spectacle.

“It’s been a nightmare,” Gurley’s aunt, Hertencia Petersen, told The Post. “He just wants to take credit for this when he’s never even contacted my sister [Gurley’s mother].

“Who made you the spokesperson of our family? We just want to bury our nephew with dignity and respect.”

Petersen was stunned that Sharpton and his National Action Network billed him as the eulogist for a Friday funeral, when they were planning on a Saturday service and wanted a speaker who actually knew Gurley.

“How can you do a eulogy for someone you don’t even know? It’s heartbreaking,” she said.

By late Friday, Sharpton accepted a rare defeat and backed off, though he blamed it on “confusion and division” within the Gurley family.

He said he would not attend Saturday’s 11 a.m. service at Brown Memorial Baptist Church in Brooklyn — and even backed off the Friday wake.

Gurley, 28, was shot and killed on Nov. 20 at Brooklyn’s Louis Pink Houses by rookie cop Peter Liang, who fired blindly into the darkness of an unlit stairwell.

Liang, who had been on a patrol at the East New York housing project, told officers it was an accident.

The Brooklyn district attorney plans to present evidence to a grand jury to determine whether Liang will face criminal charges, officials said Friday.

Gurley’s mom, Sylvia Palmer, spoke about her son’s death publicly for the first time Friday and said she is putting her faith in the courts.

police_shooting.jpg?w=300

Akai GurleyPhoto: Facebook

“There is nothing in this world that can heal my pain and my heartache,” Palmer said. “And I pray to God that I get justice for my son.”

Gurley had made plans to drive to Florida to visit Palmer for Thanksgiving. Instead, Palmer flew to New York to bury her son.

She got no help from Sharpton, even as he grabbed headlines with his bluster in the days following the shooting.

Petersen, her sister, turned to her own health-care union, SEIU 1199, to pay for Palmer’s travel arrangements.

“National Action Network would have held the funeral without them,” said Malkia King, president of the union’s benefits fund, who helped raise the $6,000 needed to pay for flights and a hotel room for Palmer and other relatives.

Petersen fumed that Sharpton is just a publicity hound who never mourned her dead nephew.

“There is no piece of the pie for Mr. Sharpton here,” she warned, adding that whenever the rev. sticks his nose in tragedies, “It’s not pretty — there’s confusion.”

She said that Saturday service would have been “chaos” if Sharpton showed up.

“It’s about control and power,” she said. “We’re not here for that.”

In the press release sent around Friday, Sharpton said he would spend Saturday on Staten Island with the families of Eric Garner and Trayvon Martin and the lawyer for the family of Ferguson police-shooting victim Michael Brown.

“I altered my schedule based on Kimberly Ballinger’s request, the domestic partner of Akai Gurley,” Sharpton claimed.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/05/cop-shoot-victims-family-stay-away-sharpton/

Finally someone stands up to this opportunist scumbag.

Get lost Al Charlatan.

Archived