The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

I watched the Pittsburgh feed...their P-by-P guy and Bob Errey had crazy respect for the Canucks. They showed a graphic comparing Crosby/Malkin and Sedin/Sedin point totals since 2008 (Pitt-first; Canucks-second in the NHL since 2008) and made the comment that even though Crosby/Malking have led the Sedins, the Sedins are magnificent players (paraphrasing). They were gushing over the productivity of the four lines and speaking highly of Eddie.

At least knowledgeable commentators are paying the Canucks their just respects.

I completely agree, as I watched this feed as well. Expected to be typical Fox-style football American garbage hockey programming, but was surprised at the respect of the commentators. All the points you raised above really highlighted their achievements. They even called the Canucks an "elite" team on several occasions.

The only thing that bothered me was that one of them said Edler could be a "dirty" player. That is from a commentator that doesn't know Edler's character. He can be inattentive, unfocused, but is certainly not a malicious player.

So what do we do with Kass once he's back??

I like Kass's game a lot, but Vey looks good on that third line, and really helps with the puck possession. We are real deep at right wing now.

Vrbata, Burrows, Kassian, Vey, Hansen, Jensen

3 guys under 24 to boot!

So what do we do with Kass once he's back??

I like Kass's game a lot, but Vey looks good on that third line, and really helps with the puck possession. We are real deep at right wing now.

Vrbata, Burrows, Kassian, Vey, Hansen, Jensen

3 guys under 24 to boot!

I think Kassian should be trade bait for that D upgrade.

How can one not love Eddie Lack? He is so humble in front of the camera and can't bring himself to accept any credit for a win even a shutout. Yes his pride shows through that impish grin of his. By the time the next Olympics roles around I hope that he has enough games under his belt so he can represent Sweden as the go to netminder. I know that is his dream.

On top of things I am blown away with the coaching of Willie Desjardins. What a fabulous start he is having as a rookie coach. I sure hope he doesn't win the Jack Adams trophy for many years to come. What? You must think I am crazy! Not so. That trophy is cursed, once you win it, then you get axed within a short period of time, move about in various coaching capacities in other cities as an assistant, or coaching in the minors, then failing that end up being a network analyst. The longer you don't win it, the longer you stay with a team and build success. The way Willie rolls his lines is like an orchestra maestro. Everyone likes the guy from the owners, through the management right down to the players. He is an open door, no nonsense coach who will openly admit to mistakes.

For example, at first he didn't want rookie Bo Hovart in his line up, but after watch a 19 year old with the maturity of seasoned vetran who has size, can see the ice well, and is dynamite in the faceoff he couldn't let him go. Horvat hasn't found the scoring touch yet, but one should never overlook his other contributions, he chases the puck, he chases his own puck bounces of the boards and doesn't just peel off, and he chases his own rebounds. Puck possession is a powerful tool when you can control it and cleanly pass it to any linemate. Also, look at the confidence of Jannic Hansen. He has always been a quiet executioner. In his history with the Vancouver Canucks he was a mouthpiece getting under the skin of opposing players on a line with Alex Burrows and Matt Cooke. There wasn't a team that didn't hate that line. Then it got more nasty when Cooke was replaced on the line by Ryan Kesler. Then it became a unspoken war on the Canucks by the NHL through the referees, and the Canucks were victimized by a string of bad calls, both for and against. Of course no one could talk about it because there would be heavy fines. Well, no one can fine me!

I digress, both Burrows and Hansen are less at being nuisances and famous for drawing penalties, but Hansen has become a specialty sniper. Getting first goals, getting tie breakers, tying the game, short handed goals, and empty netters. Then finally and strangely netting his first ever hat trick in the NHL a couple of games back.

Vancouver is a team that has bonded and is obviously happy about it.

Just watching the highlights and I love the bro hug between Miller and Lack at the end. You can tell that Miller is genuinely happy for Lack and that Lack knows how excited Miller is for him

Ahhhh a drama-free goalie duo. Never thought I'd see the day

Yah, I noticed the love between Miller and Lack.

The way I read this the whole "Miller stole a start from Lack story" in Washington was that Miller was being a thoughtful teammate. IMO, Miller genuinely wants Eddie to succeed and didn't want Eddie to be thrown into a situation where Eddie hasn't played or practiced for a number of days. My take was that "Millsy" (as the boys call him) wanted to shoulder the responsibility and protect his teammate, which to me is being a leader and good teammate. Bet Eddie appreciated Miller's wisdom and willingness to give Eddie the best chance to succeed.

What's really cool is that it seems Willie is consulting with the guys responsible for performing before making his decisions. That's just sound people management skills.

The penguin player didn't have a stick and interfered with Horvat. also the play left his feet to hit bo. therefore it wasn't clean. but the league won't do anything

So once you don't have a stick you're not allowed to touch another player? Guys that lose their stick use their body all the time - in fact it's the only thing they can do.

Watch the damn play at 2:21 and the replay that follows: Bo tries to go from his backhand to forehand and still has the puck on his stick when he gets caught with a clean, shoulder-on-shoulder open ice hit. Also, Comeau's left skate is still on the ice (meaning Comeau isn't in the air before he nails Bo) when he hits so he didn't jump into Bo.

Just a good, clean open ice hit. Props to Bo for getting right back up and getting after the puck.

Just watching the highlights and I love the bro hug between Miller and Lack at the end. You can tell that Miller is genuinely happy for Lack and that Lack knows how excited Miller is for him

Ahhhh a drama-free goalie duo. Never thought I'd see the day

Saw it as well. Beauties.

So once you don't have a stick you're not allowed to touch another player? Guys that lose their stick use their body all the time - in fact it's the only thing they can do.

Watch the damn play at 2:21 and the replay that follows: Bo tries to go from his backhand to forehand and still has the puck on his stick when he gets caught with a clean, shoulder-on-shoulder open ice hit. Also, Comeau's left skate is still on the ice (meaning Comeau isn't in the air before he nails Bo) when he hits so he didn't jump into Bo.

Just a good, clean open ice hit. Props to Bo for getting right back up and getting after the puck.

He jumps it to Bo dude watch it again. Slow it down if you have to. He leaves his feet

Anyone else still sore about Comeau's clothesline? I suppose I have little reason to complain about anything right now but for some reason that play really bothered me. Thats not a hockey play at all and would have led to a breakaway, but the refs thought it was perfectly legitimate somehow.

Anyways, I was very impressed with Lack's play tonight. I dont like how he has been used but he was more then up to the challenge tonight regardless. Several key saves on quality scoring chances, including a few on Crosby.

.Sort of hope Eddie gets the start giving miller a little more rest time.

The funny thing about net minders is that they don't like rest if they are the No. 1 goaltender. Yes, many of us agree that this is probably the downfall of why teams lose in the end because the goalie is washed out. To which I say bullcrap. Did it wash out Martin Brodeur in his 596 wins and 3 Stanleys? Did it wash out Patrick Roy and his 551 wins and 4 Stanleys? Let's go back further when goalies were far less the athletes they are today. You know, cigar smoking alcoholics that had more natural padding than artificial. Terry Sawchuk with 447 wins and 4 Stanleys. Jacques Plante 436 wins and a huge 6 Stanleys. Keep in mind that the last two played shorter seasons and to top it off they played to ripe old ages, Sawchuk died as an active player at the age of 40. Jacques Plante played until he was 50. None of these guys rested unless they were injured. Sawchuk didn't know the meaning of being injured, he played through more injuries than any other player, ever. The only other goaltender with multiple Stanleys is Grant with 5 Stanleys, but in reality he doesn't deserve the credit because Edmonton successfully uses the goaltending tandem system, first with Andy Moog and then Bill Ranford. But the most embarrassing goal was the infamous Steve Smith who scored on his own team against Calgary in game 7 of the '86 Smythe division. Yes, also the same Steve Smith that delivered the season ending injury to Pavel Bure in November 1995.

Anyone else still sore about Comeau's clothesline? I suppose I have little reason to complain about anything right now but for some reason that play really bothered me. Thats not a hockey play at all and would have led to a breakaway, but the refs thought it was perfectly legitimate somehow.

Anyways, I was very impressed with Lack's play tonight. I dont like how he has been used but he was more then up to the challenge tonight regardless. Several key saves on quality scoring chances, including a few on Crosby.

It was shoulder to shoulder, so no.

And Bo got right back up and looked no worse for the wear.

Archived