The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Penguins

-Vintage Canuck-

"I feel like I've been struggling, so getting a goose egg was huge. I felt great all night" - Lack

B4DxfUMIIAARW2I.jpg

I must have missed the struggling part. All I've seen is Eddie playing good hockey, and getting hung out to dry one night.

The guy who deserved this win the most imo.

Also those pessimists out there that were making a big deal of the Miller and Lack situation... Eddie was all smiles when asked about it.

This was a veteran starting goalie, trying to spark his young backup and get him fired up to prove his worth. Eddie was sollliidddd. Shutout a very offensive team. Again, no surprise in his talent. This team is, ELITE.

Rocky: You stop this fight, I'll kill ya'!

The strength of a teams third and fourth lines (assuming for the moment that most teams first 2 lines are relatively equal) can be the difference between teams that are good and those that have great success. Guys playing for each other towards a common goal.

Wow, looks like Matthias has finally arrived. Took him around 15-20 games to warm into the season but he's taken over a couple of games lately. Granted the Penguins are quite injured and played a diluted, AHL lineup, the Canucks absolutely dominated one of the East's best offensively and defensively. Tonight started off with a playoff-like feel - fast paced, good passing, physical and good stick checking, but the Canucks forechecking won this game.

This game showed me that the Canucks can compete with the best teams and out-score them with depth. That 3rd line essentially won us the game but the 4th line was just as effective and our bottom-6 hasn't been a defensive liability in a long time. There were moments when Horvat's line had Malkin and Crosby's line hemmed in their own zone.

Defensively, Stanton and Edler were fantastic. Huge hit by Stanton to lead to a goal was a nice play, but Alex Edler deserves a lot more admiration than he's getting. He's just single handedly shut-down Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby COMPLETELY. Playing with Tanev really has brought out the solid defensive play in his game. He may not be putting up points, but that pairing is playing hard minutes against the games best and they're thriving. Crosby was dogged tonight by Edler and Malkin couldn't find any room. Their only chance came on the powerplay with Edler in the box, and Crosby got unlucky to miss the open net.

Tanev, Bieksa and Sbisa weren't fantastic, Tanev did a great job with Edler to shutdown Crosby and Malkin but Bieksa and Sbisa made a couple of sloppy plays. That being said they didn't make any huge gaping mistakes and were solid all game long, albeit against AHL forwards like Ebbett and co.

Lack was really solid, made some big saves when the team needed it including a Crosby breakaway and deserved the shutout (and a few more starts).

Nice bit of enthusiasm, but you need to get your story straight. On the one hand you say the Pens iced an AHL diluted lineup and on the other hand you say we can compete with the best teams. A little disconnect there.

Canucks played a great road game tonight. They played a beaten up team, but the forecheck and defensive zone coverage was the best I've seen so far this season. I hope this is sign of the kind of game Willie's been wanting the Canucks to play.

I rated no one lower than 4. This was an all around solid effort by everyone. Well done team! Special congrats to Eddie Lack for a well deserved shutout!

Canucks are now 7-1-1 against other teams in the NHL's top 10.

That's sweet, I also like the overall record. I think we can beat anyone. Off the top of my head I'd say we played almost 20 teams so far. Really off the top of my head so no google could be wrong.

The Penguins commentators kept harping on about their injuries going into this game.

Nice bit of enthusiasm, but you need to get your story straight. On the one hand you say the Pens iced an AHL diluted lineup and on the other hand you say we can compete with the best teams. A little disconnect there.

Canucks played a great road game tonight. They played a beaten up team, but the forecheck and defensive zone coverage was the best I've seen so far this season. I hope this is sign of the kind of game Willie's been wanting the Canucks to play.

They did ice a lot of AHLers, with many of their top players out, but we still beat the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Hornquist etc. All I'm saying is, take this win with a grain of salt. We also scored against a rookie who had never played in Pittsburgh before, the game could have been very different with someone like Fleury in net. We may have Kassian and Hamhuis out, but they were missing Letang, Dupuis, Kunitz and Bennett. I think we'd be pretty pathetic without the likes of our equivalents like Edler, Burrows, Vbrata and Hansen out of the lineup.

That's why I'm most impressed by what I saw on the ice. Forechecking like our 3rd line against the Penguins regular top-4 defencemen (Matta/Ehrhoff/Scuderi were victimized) and Edler and Tanev shutting down Crosby and Malkin.

Played an elite yet injured Eastern team, and blanked them. They still arguably had the two best centres in the game healthy. We competed for a whole 60 minutes and came out looking like a top team. Great confidence game.

To be honest we made them look like an AHL team the last couple periods. Crosby has and Malkin are what 8 and 9 years in now?

I guess my point is maybe they can't carry a team like they were when they were 26.

Will the Canucks EVER get respect? We beat one of the best teams in the East, and what is Sportsnet talking about? Edmonton.

:picard:

I watched the Pittsburgh feed...their P-by-P guy and Bob Errey had crazy respect for the Canucks. They showed a graphic comparing Crosby/Malkin and Sedin/Sedin point totals since 2008 (Pitt-first; Canucks-second in the NHL since 2008) and made the comment that even though Crosby/Malking have led the Sedins, the Sedins are magnificent players (paraphrasing). They were gushing over the productivity of the four lines and speaking highly of Eddie.

At least knowledgeable commentators are paying the Canucks their just respects.

Archived