The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is This Team Ready to Compete, or do we Stand Fast?

Warhippy

So I won't draw this out over much.

At the beginning of last season, I wanted Torts, I didn't want to make any trades for rentals. A disastrous season turned into our highest natural draft pick since the twins and facilitated what many believe was the house cleaning the team and management/roster needed.

Skip to this year.

A new management group and Coach in Linden Benning etc with cap wizard G man still in place. A new roster with the youngest rookie the Nucks have had in basically forever. A prospect bin which is actually surprising more than a few people, giving some evidence that Gillis' "process" might actually have been a progressive long term approach.

BUT!

Are we ready to compete? By many analysts predictions, we are not supposed to be here. 3rd coach in 3 seasons, new system new players new chemistry issues etc.

We are currently in a transition into our old core being our vets, our new core being our youth and rookies out of the proverbial A-hole.

We have had multiple years with multiple early round picks, back to back years in the top 10. And we are on top for now. A shade early to be predicting cup wins, playoff round wins or the like as evidenced by last years collapse into January to end the year.

But Hamhuis is out, the team still needs some depth at a few positions, glaringly being the #1 center, the #1 D man and a few RHD/PMD players.

We are currently over achieving by many peoples books and still as always getting 0 credit from back east. Top tier team in the league 30% of the way through the season

So.

Do we make the trades people are and have been suggesting since Hamhuis went down and grab either those rental players that rarely work out or some kind of youth in our needed areas.

Or do we let it ride and be happy with how this team is doing knowing that if we manage to NOT trade anyone or bring in rentals or long term players we will be embarking into one of the deeper prospect pools in the last 20 years of Nucks hockey while maintaining a top 5 team in the league.

CDC, what do we do?

Not sure what you mean by "the team still needs some depth at a few positions, glaringly being the #1 center," I think Henrik is a great 1C and Bonino is in the top 30 centers for points so if he can keep it up for the rest of the year I think we are good. Also Vey and Richardson are both on pace for 20G 20A.

​I think this team really just needs a good young d man for the right side to go with Tanev, Stanton, Sabisa, and Weber who are all in their mid 20s but it will probably cost to much so I doubt we get one.

Not sure what you mean by "the team still needs some depth at a few positions, glaringly being the #1 center," I think Henrik is a great 1C and Bonino is in the top 30 centers for points so if he can keep it up for the rest of the year I think we are good. Also Vey and Richardson are both on pace for 20G 20A.

​I think this team really just needs a good young d man for the right side to go with Tanev, Stanton, Sabisa, and Weber who are all in their mid 20s but it will probably cost to much so I doubt we get one.

People argue that McCaan could be that future 1c prospect after Hank retires. We have nobody after him. We also don't have a true puck moving D man of the RH variety let alone solid top 4 RHD to begin with.

Those are the glaring organizational needs I mean.

I am not sure what credit from the east has to do with anything, and if you keep piling those wins up they are impossible to ignore. This team is making a lot of "experts" seem like they do not know what it takes to assess, never mind build a team. It is no wonder why so many of them are slow on the uptake since nobody gave tis team a chance at the beginning of this year.

What do we do? Sit back and enjoy a very high quality and entertaining brand of hockey and realize that the people that are in charge of this team are in fact very skilled, knowledgeable and extremely competent at what they do and recognize that we as fans really know nothing in comparison to them. We are in very good hands.

I am not sure what credit from the east has to do with anything, and if you keep piling those wins up they are impossible to ignore. This team is making a lot of "experts" seem like they do not know what it takes to assess, never mind build a team. It is no wonder why so many of them are slow on the uptake since nobody gave tis team a chance at the beginning of this year.

What do we do? Sit back and enjoy a very high quality and entertaining brand of hockey and realize that the people that are in charge of this team are in fact very skilled, knowledgeable and extremely competent at what they do and recognize that we as fans really know nothing in comparison to them. We are in very good hands.

2010 through 2012. Best team int he league record holders etc and undeniable in how good they were yet didn't get any respect. The analysts back east are basically now the only analysts we hear from after the media reshuffle and purchase from Rogers

This is where I am, standing pat and NOT making any knee jerk moves. No need, keep developing keep building the prospect pool.

2010 through 2012. Best team int he league record holders etc and undeniable in how good they were yet didn't get any respect. The analysts back east are basically now the only analysts we hear from after the media reshuffle and purchase from Rogers

This is where I am, standing pat and NOT making any knee jerk moves. No need, keep developing keep building the prospect pool.

IMO, the smartest thing that we could do and it would seem JB agrees.

My opinions are...

(1) Depending on whether or not the Canucks want to make a big push for the Cup for the benefit of the Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows and Hamhuis I would suggest that JB goes and adds: a winger such as Jarome Iginla or Shane Doan; a big center such as Martin Hanzal; and a PMD like Keith Yandle. This would mean mortgaging the future.

(2) Depending on whether or not the Canucks want to build a solid foundation for the next 10 years, I would suggest that JB stays the course.

My guess is that JB will choose the latter of the two (as evidenced by his comment that he wants to deal with Hamhuis' injury from within). As well, even though JB has said that anything can happen once the team makes the playoffs, I'm starting to think that he is pretty happy with the team he has assembled and has a quiet confidence that the team as it is (with Hamhuis back in the lineup) is capable of making some noise in the playoffs.

So, unless injuries force him to do so otherwise, I think he stands pat with the team as it is right now, though I see him making moves like he did last week when he got Pedan from the Islanders. IMO, I think he has his eyes on Khokhlachev as the talented, potential offensive centerman prospect.

I agree with everyone who says this is a premature thread, I'll bump it later on if I remember.

But I just had to pose the question. There is a lot of talk of replacing or stop gapping Hamhuis, Trading one or a combo of Hansen/Higgins/Kassian/Matthias/Tanev/Stanton and all that. As well as talk of trading the same players for forward help to make a playoff run.

The number is like 70% or 72% of teams in the playoff picture by American Thanksgiving normally make the playoffs and we're 7 points above 8th/9th place in the west right now so the talk of a push vs the talk of staying still is I think an increasingly important one moving towards the new year and into Feb

^On the matter of timing, recently been impressed with JB.

We've got some farm injuries, so he swings the Acton & Pedan acquisitions. Both guys contribute, & they just land 5 of 6 road points, against some very tough teams.

Now the NYI get a slew of D-injuries, having to recall Reinhart & Pulock, past coupla' days. Doubt they'd get Pedan, right today, as easily as they did a week back.

Now I see a surge of shoddy goaltending, league-wide. EG: Kuemper & Andersen allowed 9 goals on about 40 shots, tonite..Sooner or later JB is poised to strike, & from a strong position of surplus.'Tending gets more spotlight(mid-season), as pretenders & contenders diverge.

Archived