The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Wash

There seem to be endless debates on the boards about whether Kassian is going to turn into the type of player everyone wants. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not. 3 coaches haven't been able to turn him into a consistent player but he is still very young. He is the type of player (potential wise) that every GM salivates over and if he turns into an elite or top 2 line player he will be huge for us.

With that said, how about we try to bring in another Kassian type of player and try to improve our defence for the future as well.

Van - Markstrom or Lack, Matthias, Corrado, 2015 2nd round pick, another pick/prospect/player if not enough

Wash - Tom Wilson, Madison Bowey

I am not sure of the "value" on this trade but I think it is close.

Feel free to flame away :P

I thought this would be another Kassian trade cause of the (rather redundant) first paragraph. I can't see Washington doing this. They might be interested in Lack, but that's it.

if they are giving up their top prospects, they will want ours.

A lot of the proposals on here lately have been about moving Kassian or not. Not only do I think we should keep him but we should try to get more players like him. Trying to make my point. Redundant or not lol

I really don't know a lot about Washington, I haven't followed them at all this season. My entire basis for this trade is based off of wanting us to try and draft Wilson and what I've seen on the road to the winter classic. And for Bowey I only know what I've read from fellow posters on here.

I thought I had done a decent job for value on this.

Wilson = Matthias, 2nd, prospect/ roster player/pick

Bowey = Lack/Markstrom, Corrado

if they are giving up their top prospects, they will want ours.

Sure, but just wondering -- why don't we see proposals where we move one of our top prospects for a collection of vets, lesser prospects and picks from other teams? If we don't want to move ours, they likely don't want to move theirs.

Maybe to you, but to Washington, he's their best d prospect. Gonna take more than that.

I'm not knocking the op but this is the problem in most cases on cdc proposals forum. Quantity for quality, or not having enough knowledge about other teams prospects.

Why would we need Wilson? Zack is our struggling developing power forward. In fact I hope that Willie would finally give Zack what Tom has been getting in Washington, as Tom has played with Ovie and Backstrom. Zack can open space for the Twins in games and I hope he'll get the chance to do just that when Radim and the Twins aren't clicking so well, or if the team needs to add scoring depth. Anyways, no to Wilson.

As for Bowey, he'll cost A LOT. He's so dominant in junior, so why would the Caps let him go for cheap? I think that going for someone like Nate Schmidt, whom Trotz doesn't seem to trust but who makes people around him better, can be wise. They also need a backup goalie with Peters struggling so maybe we can trade Markstrom & Sbisa for Schmidt & Grubauer?

Live in Kelowna and have watched lots of Rocket games with Bowey. He is a few years away from being an NHL level player. Yes, he can dominate in the juniors but he gives the puck away too many times and takes really dumb untimely penalties. Like Subban was he is trying to show off 'his' skills instead of playing for the team. And like Subban it will take some maturing before he is ready for the big time.

Live in Kelowna and have watched lots of Rocket games with Bowey. He is a few years away from being an NHL level player. Yes, he can dominate in the juniors but he gives the puck away too many times and takes really dumb untimely penalties. Like Subban was he is trying to show off 'his' skills instead of playing for the team. And like Subban it will take some maturing before he is ready for the big time.

I live in Penticton and I've also watched Bowey alot and I disagree alot with your evaluation.

Why would we need Wilson? Zack is our struggling developing power forward. In fact I hope that Willie would finally give Zack what Tom has been getting in Washington, as Tom has played with Ovie and Backstrom. Zack can open space for the Twins in games and I hope he'll get the chance to do just that when Radim and the Twins aren't clicking so well, or if the team needs to add scoring depth. Anyways, no to Wilson.

As for Bowey, he'll cost A LOT. He's so dominant in junior, so why would the Caps let him go for cheap? I think that going for someone like Nate Schmidt, whom Trotz doesn't seem to trust but who makes people around him better, can be wise. They also need a backup goalie with Peters struggling so maybe we can trade Markstrom & Sbisa for Schmidt & Grubauer?

Everything bolded is exactly what I was thinking.

Sure, but just wondering -- why don't we see proposals where we move one of our top prospects for a collection of vets, lesser prospects and picks from other teams? If we don't want to move ours, they likely don't want to move theirs.

Basically. Washington would much rather keep those two players than take on any of what we give them back.

Wilson = Matthias, 2nd, prospect/ roster player/pick

Bowey = Lack/Markstrom, Corrado

Nope and nope. Washington has two gems here and nothing more than an overpayment would pry them away.

Wilson is already a serviceable depth player at 20. He has value similar to Horvat's. Would you trade Horvat for Latta, a 2nd, and Liam O'Brien? Probably not.

Bowey is arguably one of the top D prospects around right now, he'd catch a pretty penny on the trade block.

Minimum starting point to acquire either of those players would be Shinkaruk or Jensen, and even then I'd argue both Washington prospects have more value than both of our guys. We'd have to dangle Horvat or Virtanen to even get a response.

I have watched Wilson and Washington play a fair bit. I selected him in one of my pools and was interested.

Trotz is doing a good job as coach. Giving guys like Wilson with skills opportunities. Then also holding them accountable for the calibre of play. So Wilson who has skills was tried for a good stretch with Ovi & Backstrom. Played well to start. Then was a healthy scratch just one game removed from where we stand today. Came back as a fourth liner last game.

Comments from the coach. ''I thought he was starting to look tired and lost the jump he had a few weeks ago. Maybe a rest will help?'' ''I noticed that the puck died on his stick too many times in the offensive zone, so I tried something else.''

He also commented to the effect that he would get another crack when he got his feet moving again.

But I tend to agree with most. Why is Washington going to give a 20 year old guy who has already shown he can play on a first line? The CDC fave stereotyped man child who can fight, make big hits and still stick handle to boot. Then throw in their best D prospect for mid tier parts??

Archived