The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks make some big trades, or just let it be

desiboynux4lifee*******

@Forsberg:

to clarify. Top line players like they were in 2010-2011. The team offence is still primarily built around the Sedin's and as they predictably and understandably decline with age it is no longer good enough to hold onto contender status like it was in those halcyon days.

At this point I want to stop focussing on the Sedin's short comings because they are the reason why we still have any chance whatsoever. In fact, the Canucks probably rely on them now more than back in 2010-2011. My response above was due to being sick and tired of posters complaining that the Sedin's are a detriment to the organization because they can't single handedly win this team a cup. It's not Daniel and Henrik's fault they don't have the supporting cast and that any supporting cast is still a few years away. Benning doesn't need to throw the baby out with the bath water on this rebuild.

agreed

Agreed. Otherwise, this could happen:

Rask J.Gibson Seguin D.Hamilton Colborne Grabovski Tlusty Cammalleri Steen M.Stuart Boyes Eller C.Smith Luongo Gunnarsson Gustavsson Manson Rakell Versteeg J.Hayes Grubauer S.Thornton Saad Stralman D.Moore Josi Berra

Dale Weise, Josh Wesley, Kevin Connauton, Philipe Desrosiers, Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier, Quinten Howden, Josh Anderson, Brayden McNabb, Austin Levi, Fredrik Andersen, Taylor Leier, Wayne Simmonds, Jussi Jokinen, Matt Cooke, Keith Aulie, Jonas Enroth, RJ Umberger, Alex Goligoski, Boyd Gordon

Thats bad enough as is. Not as bad as Toronto of course, but still. Especially considering we've only won a handful of trades since Keenan and Burke used to steal from other GM's

-Forsling for Diaz

-Edler for Clune

-Cassels Booth for Samuelsson Sturm

-Ehrhoff for Rahimi White

-Salo for Schaefer

-Bertuzzi McCabe Ruutu for Linden

-Sedin 67th for McCabe Vorobiev 75th 88th

Lets not get offtrack because of our 'overachievement' thus far. Stick to the original plan and continue to get younger while trying to hold onto our own picks, prospects, and youngsters. I dont wanna see what Kassian is able to do in Boston, or Jensen along side Pittsburghs centre's, or Markstrom given a chance with Edmonton. Heck even the thought of Subban unsigned makes me nervous.

Acquiring vets for picks have been haunting us for years (especially at the deadline). Noronen for Enroth. Lapierre for Fredrik Andersen. Brent Sopel for Wayne Simmons+Jussi Jokinen. Hedberg for Goligoski. Even recently we've dealt prospects and picks that ended up being Josh Wesley, Taylor Leier, Austin Levi, Philipe Desrosiers, Brayden McNabb, Kevin Connauton and Josh Anderson whom I love. And for what, Roy? Pahlsson? I hope JB doesnt make poor deadline deals like Chiarelli has

So long as the Sedins are here, we ain't winning anything. Great guys, declining hockey players.

So no changes we make will be big enough to make an impact, because they will still be the "offensive leaders" on the team. We can't afford the calibre of secondary scoring we need or the type of D we need.

Imo, only once the Sedins retire will we be able to restructure and start from scratch

Yeah its all their fault. Lol.

@Forsberg:

to clarify. Top line players like they were in 2010-2011. The team offence is still primarily built around the Sedin's and as they predictably and understandably decline with age it is no longer good enough to hold onto contender status like it was in those halcyon days.

At this point I want to stop focussing on the Sedin's short comings because they are the reason why we still have any chance whatsoever. In fact, the Canucks probably rely on them now more than back in 2010-2011. My response above was due to being sick and tired of posters complaining that the Sedin's are a detriment to the organization because they can't single handedly win this team a cup. It's not Daniel and Henrik's fault they don't have the supporting cast and that any supporting cast is still a few years away. Benning doesn't need to throw the baby out with the bath water on this rebuild.

I can agree with that.

I think Lack could be traded either this deadline or at the draft.. We have 3 years left from Millers contract to groom Markstrom who has a much higher ceiling and is playing well in the AHL before being hurt.

Past that I don't see us trading away prospects unless if it's a Gillis prospect that Benning doesn't agree on working out here.

Sorry, Surfer, I"m not following your last sentence. I hadn't been writing about the players' actions, I was writing about the team.

I could have ranted about individual players and the use of nt clauses by players as well, but that wasn't the subject I was bringing up or replying to.

You haven't actually written anything I disagree with, so am not sure what I said that you're disagreeing with. My impression is that you are simply adding something different from what I was writing about. Your example of Luongo is certainly correct and was actually the situation I had in mind when I mentioned not all of the contracts showed good judgment by the team. Your feeling about the ntc being out the window once a player asks to be moved is something I've thought about as well. I was probably at least as disgusted by Kesler's position as you were.

Perhaps the real difference between us is simply that you see those things as connected to my points while I don't.

Basically you want the team to be noble and act in a way that is fair to the principal of the NTC or NMC that was offered the player.

All I was saying was players should have the same courtesy to the team. Some used their clauses to hold the team and its fan base hostage.

It does not take a big leap to suggest that both parties honour the principal of their contract.

Send Higgins off to start with and go from there. Dont deal any prospects though. I thought we should of dealt Higgins before he went cold but he still has some value. Kassian is still super young but he needs to prove hes worth keeping around. Bieska could be a possibly to move but that would most likely happen in the off season. (Just so it doesnt affect the teams moral or chemistry mid season).

Rest of our D core going forward looks good in Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, and Sbisa if I dare say it.

I really think Higgins has to go though. He could land us a promising young forward someone perhaps like a Gaunce or younger Jensen type player. (IE 19 year old Jensen whos value was much less then it is now.)

I would keep: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Hamhuis and Edler from the old core.

I don't think Myers is the difference between cup contender and playoff contender. Terrible example. We need a PMD and a 2nd line - Myers is neither unless we are replacing Tanev or Bieksa with him.

I think the canucks cupboard has been dry for too long, and would rather see them develop horvat, demko, virtanen, and shinkaruk because the sedins are just about done, and we need to replace them sooner than later.

PS

Desiboycanucks4lifee**** is the worst screen name I've ever seen, I'm actually disgusted by your username and the idea you wrote that down and hit submit thinking 'perfect' to yourself.

I wouldn't go outta my way & actively look to make a major trade but I'd be open to trading anybody if it improves the team. The idea of untouchable players is just silly. We could use a little offensive help in the top six & an upgrade + added depth on the blueline. Some players I'd take a look at:

Loui Eriksson

Jaromir Jagr

Antoine Vermette

Tyler Myers

Torey Krug

Zybnek Michalek

Keith Yandle

Brandon Gormley

So long as the Sedins are here, we ain't winning anything. Great guys, declining hockey players.

So no changes we make will be big enough to make an impact, because they will still be the "offensive leaders" on the team. We can't afford the calibre of secondary scoring we need or the type of D we need.

Imo, only once the Sedins retire will we be able to restructure and start from scratch

You're a little pessimistic for my liking regarding the importance of the Sedins. I see them as two magical forwards no longer in their prime but easily still gifted enough to be top line forwards. I don't see them as our problem. For me I would have liked Bonino to pan out to a more consistent offensive threat and maybe he will become that player, but obviously not this year. And I'm not being unfair to him in comparing him to Kesler, just based on all the hype but the duck fans had for him last year.

Regarding our prospects, I think we have some room to maneuver as our prospect pool thickens. I'd keep Jake, Bo, Hunter and most D prospects. Demko too. So who does that leave? Gaunce and Corrado.

How about Stanton, Gaunce and Corrado for Skinner. Lord knows the Canes need help on the back end and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canes look at a lineup without Skinner due to his injury history. I'd take that risk as that could be huge offense on our left side for not only this year but the future.

I'd also be okay with unloading Higgins for a mid-high round pick. I could see the Pens or Caps being interested.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Skinner Bonino Kassian

Burrows Richardson Matthias

Dorsett Horvat Hansen

How about Stanton, Gaunce and Corrado for Skinner. Lord knows the Canes need help on the back end and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canes look at a lineup without Skinner due to his injury history. I'd take that risk as that could be huge offense on our left side for not only this year but the future.

They wouldn't accept that.

I agree with your 100% but if JB and TL can get the right combo of youth, into our second line you never know what could happen. Youth that is not only cheap but produces it could take pressure off the twins and maybe they are point a game players again or close.

If you look at teams that have won the cup over the years, some not all mind you, but some had that good second line built with younger players one on a ELC couple others on there first contract after the ELC.

It wasn't that long ago the twins were a cheap second line that produced fairly well. If Kassian pulls it together and Bonino can be consistent and they find a finisher for them to play with you might win some games. Maybe Virtanen blows them away next year and gets a chance and they click. Maybe they find gold in the draft this year or someone they have in system breaks out. It could happen more than likely it won't but could.

I know I know dare to dream but that passion and hope I have every year for this team is what makes it fun exciting and me a Canuck/ Hockey fan for life.

Only if we're bringing in a young player that we can build around going forward.

The idea of trading picks and prospects for older rental players is counterproductive at this point.

So true only way I would trade any of the prospects we have now is for only thing we don't have a young PMD a true #1 d- man.

Every cup winning team has one

Archived