The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks make some big trades, or just let it be

desiboynux4lifee*******

re CaKnuckle.....nice perspective, few talk of a second line replacing the first. In fact, I think most have difficulty imagining who will one day replace the first line. I have trouble myself. I think that this may be Jim Benning's biggest challenge.

I think that JB is rebuilding this team in the traditional, tried and true way, from the goal on out. Nobody could argue that the Canucks are not stacked with goaltending prospects behind a solid #1.

The next step for JB will be shoring up the back end. A #1 horse will depend on opportunity but I think that depth will be dramatically thickened in the next year. Incidentally, I don't think Tyler Myers is a #1 horse. He may be a horse but he's not worth betting the farm on.

JB is an old scout. He is a draft and develop kind of guy. That's why he was hired. I think we'll be surprised at the depth that he can amass over the next 3 years without mortgaging the farm. I really don't think he will aggressively go after big trades in the course of doing his business.

Send Higgins off to start with and go from there. Dont deal any prospects though. I thought we should of dealt Higgins before he went cold but he still has some value. Kassian is still super young but he needs to prove hes worth keeping around. Bieska could be a possibly to move but that would most likely happen in the off season. (Just so it doesnt affect the teams moral or chemistry mid season).

Rest of our D core going forward looks good in Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, and Sbisa if I dare say it.

I really think Higgins has to go though. He could land us a promising young forward someone perhaps like a Gaunce or younger Jensen type player. (IE 19 year old Jensen whos value was much less then it is now.)

I would keep: Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Hamhuis and Edler from the old core.

I to would like to see higgens moved. with boston needing some help and up against the cap and krug in for a big raise next year. I wonder if a higgens plus maybe jenson gets us krug and kochlachev?

The Canucks are not far away from being contenders again, but at a steep price. Are you willing to trade away an horvat,gaunce, shinkurak, demko, virtanen for some players who are ready now?

Okay lets say a guy like Tyler Myers costs us a Horvat + pick are you ready to take this risk? Well that's what the Kings did. They traded away Wayne Simmons, Brayden Schenn (highly hyped prospect) and Jack Johnson for Richards and Jeff Carter. The Kings went on a winning streak once taking the risk with Jeff Carter. Important to note, although we are losing games against the big bad teams eg, Kings, Ducks, Sanjose; we are still keeping the games close.I feel this team needs a game changer and a solid D-man to beat those teams.

So, the management needs to figure out what to do quick because its obvious this team is not going to be a contender in the playoffs,'if they make it." What do you guys think ? Should this team go all out and sacrifice the future for a deep playoff run like LA did, or should they be patient and let this play out?

Again, were not too far off, the Sedins need some 2nd line support and the defence need a solid D-man like a Myers back there. I still feel this team can be contenders again, but some moves are to be made.

Finally, were an average team at the moment; the only way we are going to be a elite team again is trading away some of our highly hyped prospects. Otherwise lets just accept were an average team who will be 7-10 range, for the next three years.

I'd take Horvat and a pick for Myers in a heart beat. Except that it won't be enough to get Myers.

So long as the Sedins are here, we ain't winning anything. Great guys, declining hockey players.

So no changes we make will be big enough to make an impact, because they will still be the "offensive leaders" on the team. We can't afford the calibre of secondary scoring we need or the type of D we need.

Imo, only once the Sedins retire will we be able to restructure and start from scratch

Honestly the people who say stuff like this imo have no idea what the twins are still capable of. Night after night they tie defences in knots and become almost the sole object of the opposition counter plans.

They are easily able to carry us to a cup win IF we can build some consistency around them. Just look at the 2nd line, it is not nearly a contending 2nd line.

The 3rd and 4th I believe could cope if again we got consistency from someone like Kassian, because he is a still the weak link at the moment.

Once the Sedins retire we will have a black hole to fill and as I say some of our fans just have no idea what these guys are doing for us now and what calibre of replacement it would take to replace them.

Another thing. It annoys the hell out of me to see people on here willing to throw Gaunce and Shink away in deals/trades before we have even got them up to Vancouver and given them a proper assessment. Gaunce in particular imo has far more potential to be a big player for the team than we realise, if he continues to develop as he is doing in Utica.

I would much rather part with Higgins, who has gone AWOL as is his habit 2 or 3 times a season. I would have added Hansen but I think he is playing as well as I have seen him play for a couple of years now.

Basically you want the team to be noble and act in a way that is fair to the principal of the NTC or NMC that was offered the player.

All I was saying was players should have the same courtesy to the team. Some used their clauses to hold the team and its fan base hostage.

It does not take a big leap to suggest that both parties honour the principal of their contract.

There are many players and agents. Not all of them will be honourable.

Are you suggesting that because there will be some players and agents that aren't honourable, that the Canucks shouldn't be a classy outfit and abide by the terms of the deals they gave out?

If so, I disagree.

If that isn't what you're saying, in what way does what you're saying it affect my point?

I think that Kassian has been read the riot act by Benning. If he doesn't shape up, he'll be moved. Not sure what return they'd get in return though. He was Buffalo's problem, now the Canucks so maybe as little as a 2nd round pick. For this reason, I think Benning would rather that it worked out but if it doesn't a move will be made.

Well if he has and I think you might be right I can't imagine what he thought when Kassian pulled that crappy "dive" Honestly he needs to start respecting the game.

I remember hearing about how those Carter and Richards contracts were "untradable". That phrase always makes me laugh because no contract is untradable, its just if you overpaid someone you have to trade them for lesser value if you want to trade them.

The Canucks haven't had the balls in recent years to do anything. MG wanted a player a prospect and a 1st for the ugliest of Canuck players. Now Benning is here and hopefully he will make trades.

The first potential trades I see going coming are Kassian, Burrows, Higgens and/or Bieksa. I'd guess 2 of those 4 will be done by year end.

You're on drugs if you think Burrows will be traded

Well if he has and I think you might be right I can't imagine what he thought when Kassian pulled that crappy "dive" Honestly he needs to start respecting the game.

I didn't like the dive and never liked it when Kesler, Hank, Daniel, Burrows have done it in the past.

I remember hearing about how those Carter and Richards contracts were "untradable". That phrase always makes me laugh because no contract is untradable, its just if you overpaid someone you have to trade them for lesser value if you want to trade them.

The Canucks haven't had the balls in recent years to do anything. MG wanted a player a prospect and a 1st for the ugliest of Canuck players. Now Benning is here and hopefully he will make trades.

The first potential trades I see going coming are Kassian, Burrows, Higgens and/or Bieksa. I'd guess 2 of those 4 will be done by year end.

we don't know how much of that is true... maybe the truth is no one wanted to come here so gillis was forced to keep the players we have....also we don't know how much the owner has had is hand on the wheel... maybe gillis couldn't pull any triggers even if he wanted to ....

re Bennings assessment of players and will Kassian be traded.

It's interesting that Benning doesn't seem to care about goals and assists in the normal way. He assesses players based on how they play when games are on the line and in games that matter. It's as much a quality assessment as a statistical one (goals and assists). For example, some of Millers losses have been really disappointing (7-1 etc) and are statistically brutal but the measure of the man is being able to shut the door when the game is on the line in important games. People talk of Kassian getting it going after the Olympic break last year as something good. And it's encouraging but, it doesn't matter at all to Benning because that was "garbage time" for the Canucks because they were effectively out of the playoffs at the time. No stats over that period matter to him.

Gary Valk on 1040 said today that Kassian can no longer hide indifferent play behind being just a kid. He needs to be a big boy and show some real fortitude when the game is on the line if he wants to have a long career. Valk knows lots of talented guys who had short careers because they never transitioned from being a talented junior or AHL'er to playing in a mans league where everybody is good and works really hard all the time.

So to Kassian, I think that Benning has told him that it's time for him to bring it. Benning will give him the opportunity to respond in a meaningful way. That much is fair. How much time then? Until the end of the season or at least while games are still meaningful is my impression. If at that point he still looks iffy, he's gone in the offseason while he still has some value.

I'd take Horvat and a pick for Myers in a heart beat. Except that it won't be enough to get Myers.

Chances are you gotta throw in someone like Edler or Bieksa to make the trade work. Edler is too valuable and would most likely be some lateral swap instead. Bieksa seems to be the most logical choice (experience, veteran leadership, closer to home) and the salary going back the other way is a necessity. Whether or not Buffalo will be suckered willing to take him would be a different story.

Horvat + Bieksa + 2nd for Myers + misc pick/prospect?

Canucks should trade from a position of strength.

this is nota year that they will do well in the playoffs, but they have a good record and many players look like good pick ups for other play off bound clubs.

Now, or at the deadline is the time to trim the roster to bare bone making room for prospects and newcomers.

I would like to see this current roster trimmed down to 16 players, 9f, 5d 2g with the remaining spots taken by current minor leaguers or players returned through trades, (No Rentals)

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

Archived