The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Trading Vrbata

Delta76

My mind is going so this may be a little off but what would CDC'ers think of using Vrbata and our first (call it #18) to move up in the draft and pick Brazal or another potential #1C or #1D as will as gain the cap space to sign Franson

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Vrbata fan and think he is a great fit with the twins but I think a high pick in a deep draft and Franson will benifit us more than keeping Vrabta would.

Ideally we would also move Higgins for a pick (not sure his worth) and gain some more cap space.

Our lineup without Vrbata and with Franson next year would look like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Bonino-Kassian/Vey

Matthias-Horvat-Kassian/Vey

Dorsett-UFA/prospect-Hansen (Richardson walks)

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Bieksa

This forward group is a bit of a gamble because it has a lot of young players in important positions but I still think it can get off to the playoffs which I think is a reasonable milestone to set. This also leaves us will a fairly credible d-core which is much better than this years and another blue chip in our prospect pool.

Well it is almost 3am here so I could be a little off :lol: . I do think however that Burrows can put up decent numbers with the Sedins and that Kassian will step up his game to make the 2nd line score more. Plus Franson would add much needed scoring to our back end.

My mind is going so this may be a little off but what would CDC'ers think of using Vrbata and our first (call it #18) to move up in the draft and pick Brazal or another potential #1C or #1D as will as gain the cap space to sign Franson

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Vrbata fan and think he is a great fit with the twins but I think a high pick in a deep draft and Franson will benifit us more than keeping Vrabta would.

Ideally we would also move Higgins for a pick (not sure his worth) and gain some more cap space.

Our lineup without Vrbata and with Franson next year would look like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Jensen-Bonino-Kassian/Vey

Matthias-Horvat-Kassian/Vey

Dorsett-UFA/prospect-Hansen (Richardson walks)

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Bieksa

This forward group is a bit of a gamble because it has a lot of young players in important positions but I still think it can get off to the playoffs which I think is a reasonable milestone to set. This also leaves us will a fairly credible d-core which is much better than this years and another blue chip in our prospect pool.

At the draft maybe (keep in mind he has a limited NTC). The problem is we don't really have any other pure goal scorers. Jensen is, but he's never had a full NHL season. Shinkaruk and Virtanen also have no NHL experience (Virtanen doesn't even have any pro experience). I'd rather move Bieksa and sign a UFA (such as Franson like you suggested. but I'd prefer Boychuk personally). Although Vrbata does have more value than Bieksa and Bieksa has a full NTC and likes playing here. Of course, there is the possibility of moving Miller too (samed limited NTC as Vrbata), but that would be a downgrade in net unless Markstrom just breaks out and reaches Ben Bishop like abilities.

Also why does Richardson walk? I'm sure cap space could be found to resign him.

To me, trading Vrbata makes much more sense next year around this time to a team wanting to make a push for the cup. At this point, he's been great for us and could prove very valuable in the playoffs.

I was meaning at the draft.

Jensen will have played 2 pro seasons, Vey will have played a year in the NHL and Kassian is bound to break out soon. I personally don't think our goal production will heavily decrease without Vrbata IF our young guys step up.

I figure Richardson walks so we have to cap space to take advantage of tteams trying to stay cap compliant. Just forgot to write it.

Oh and I've been thinking about this for a while, it isn't just after a loss that I got this idea...

OP, to avoid confusion, I'd switch your thread tag to [Draft-Day] as to avoid confusion.

In any case I think trading Vrby would be foolish without acquiring the pieces to replace him. And I'll tell you this, the sum of those pieces would be greater than Vrbata's value. Just can't see it happening.

In no way should we trade Vrbata unless we have a forward coming back to us of equal or greater value. The bulk of our points this year came from Vrbata. As someone else mentioned, a trade including Bieksa for an upgrade on defence would be a much better way to go in my opinion.

In no way should we trade Vrbata unless we have a forward coming back to us of equal or greater value. The bulk of our points this year came from Vrbata. As someone else mentioned, a trade including Bieksa for an upgrade on defence would be a much better way to go in my opinion.

That's not how it works, at all.

If a team is looking to get Vrbata, they're looking to augment what they already have on their roster, not swap him with someone else, otherwise there's no point.

All Canucks would get, would be maybe a blue chip prospect, a B grade prospect and a low 1st round pick; any team interested in Vrbata would be picking in the 18-30 range (bubble teams needing a push, or top teams needing some reinforcement)

That said, given this draft, I'd be all over that.

My hope is that Virtanen makes the club, he's got a shot at it for sure.

I'd trade him on the deadline if we aren't going to be a playoff team. At this point, Radim would want a cup and so trading him to a contender and getting a 1st rounder outta him would be great.

If we are sure that we are going to make the playoffs, I'd hold off on trading him. Getting 2 1st rounders for 3 consecutive years is definitely a HUGE step forward in the right direction.

I can't for the life of me understand CDC's understanding of Vrbata and his contract. He is 34 years old in June, 35 years old at the end of his contract. Just saying he maintains his scoring touch for the next 3 years he will be 37 and of absolutely no value, no one will trade for him long term and he won't bring much as a rental at that age.

So we have to work back from 3 years from now and ask when would be the best time to trade him, which brings us to the question of whether we trade him #1. at this years trade deadline #2. At this years Draft #3. Next years deadline

Lets look at these 3 options......

#1. At this years deadline, a team trading for him, gets him for 2 playoff runs, and the right to negotiate for a year before he goes back to being a UFA......At this point his value is greatest

#2. At the draft, the team trading for him has lost a chance to have him for the playoffs, but will have him for 1 season before he becomes a UFA, but again, they have the ability to negotiate with him through the season, before he goes UFA........At this point he has lost some value and will be considered a long term rental.......his value will be less that option #1.

#3. At next years trade deadline.........he is a 2 month rental, we have run the risk of him having a bad year, either because of himself or an injury or the tail off the Sedins.........anyway you slice it....this value will be the least

To me, it is clear that to get optimum value, we trade him prior to the deadline, when teams are still chasing playoff hopes. I would think his value is a 1st and a A-prospect. (we may have to add a B-prospect to get that much)

I like this idea of moving Vrbata...he cost us nothing

From Jan. 2/14 to the end of last season, Vrbata produced 9G 13A 22PTS in 43GP.

That's after producing 11G 18A 29PTS in his first 37GP which is bit of a drop off in the second half that you don't want to see from the only sniper on the roster.

Hopefully Vrbata has a better second half of the season than he had last year. We're gonna need his production down the stretch.

Well it is almost 3am here so I could be a little off :lol: . I do think however that Burrows can put up decent numbers with the Sedins and that Kassian will step up his game to make the 2nd line score more. Plus Franson would add much needed scoring to our back end.

I think we probably have the cap space to sign a FRanson next year anyway?

So its a case of better now or better later. Not sure Aquaman wants to toss one or two years worth of potential play of bucks is my guess...

Barzal is pretty good though!

I also would prefer Boychuck for probably similar bucks?

I think we probably have the cap space to sign a FRanson next year anyway?

So its a case of better now or better later. Not sure Aquaman wants to toss one or two years worth of potential play of bucks is my guess...

Barzal is pretty good though!

I also would prefer Boychuck for probably similar bucks?

I would love Boychuk here. He's done wonders for the Isles.

Archived