The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Trading Vrbata

Delta76

We're 2nd in the Pacific, with three games in hand on San Jose and 9th-place Calgary. A lot of that is because of Vrbata, who is on pace to score 34 goals. (We haven't had anyone score over 30 since 2010-11.)

...Obviously, we should trade him. :picard:

It all depends on what the real direction of the franchise.

aka: if youre going to move Vrbata now, which I agree would be the best time to get the most return, you may aswell attempt to deal the Sedins and Miller.

Problem with that is that this management group whos been as open and honest to every question as possible has made it very clear that the mindset of this franchise is to make the playoffs each and every year.

What we can glean from that: So long that we're in the race, don't expect the dealing of any core pieces, unless upcoming free agency applies, or a hockey deal comes along that in their mind betters the current roster.

Thus the only way Radim Vrbata moves is if the Canucks fall out of the race, which based on what we've seen so far, isnt likely to happen unless an injury to Henrik comes along as it did last season.... Then we're literally screwed.

Moves that may occur: Higgins, Burrows, Markstrom.... possibly Kassian, Bonino (should there be a package for another center) or a swap of prospects.... which would be prudent imo as we have a whole lot of solid kids projected as safe bets to become NHLers, but with a low - med level celing. I would be looking to move a combo of Jensen, Shink, Gaunce, Cassels, or any of our D to a franchise whos system that lacks depth, but may have a top 6 F or top 4 D prospect with a higher projected celing to spare should the parent club look to be set for the mid - long term.

I'd hold onto him... for now.

Unless we were tanking and someone offered a better return than what the Flames got for Iggy then I would consider moving him. In the return hopefully there's a guy who's (almost) ready to make an impact, and a 1st in a good draft. In the short term at least, I don't see him leaving though. Rather, I hope that (if Juice doesn't rebound) we could package K.B.3, Bones (if he really tails off) and Hansen for a better 2nd line center and young guys, and then sign Franson for the back end.

Danny - Hank - Kassian (I really think Zack should get a chance with the Twins)

Burr - _______ - Vrbata (can be a strong depth scoring line with the right guy)

Higgins - Horvat - Vey (two young guns can start to play bigger roles)

Matthias - Richie - Dorsett (this has the makings of a well-rounded, physical 4th line)

Hammer - Franson

Edler - Tanev
Sbisa* - Weber (might have to move Sbisa if we're tight under the cap, but as long as we get a solid guy back it'll be good)

Stanton

Miller

What team with a high draft pick would move it to obtain Vrbata for 1 year.

It's not something that a rebuilding team would do.

We could also trade him to a contender for their first plush maybe a second or b prospect and then use out first and their first to move up. Any contender would lI've to have him IMO

Hasn't he got a limited NTC?

Yes, he does.

Fwiw, I agree with janis that if he were to be traded his value is highest up to this year's trade deadline.

BUT I also agree with those who suggest (some using sarcasm, some who refer to the loss of scoring) that he's not going to be traded in that time. Trading him before or at the 2015 deadline would have the appearance of blowing up the team, essentially tanking, which I don't think the Canucks can get away with while having enough points to compete for a playoff berth, after promising the fans (note the position of the season ticket holders) they were going to try to make the playoffs and remain competitive.

Delta mentioned he'd been referring to a trade at the draft. While it is not the time his value would likely be highest, trading him earlier would appear to harm management's credibility going forward, while trading him later makes him an ageing rental, decreasing his value substantially unless some gm feels Vrbata is the perfect fit to get his close-to-the Cup team over the hump-which seems unlikely to me.

The team is 9 games above .500.

Vrbata is leading the team in goals scored and has a GPG average near that of the top ten NHL scorers.

On a team that is competitive but consistently lacks scoring power this move would underhand the team's viability and management's thesis on how they will compete(as Tyhee explains above).

I think Benning will attempt to gather picks by dealing fringe players near the deadline,that keeps the competitive balance while adding said picks - and opportunities - to move up further in the draft.

Nuck,

I am not against what you are saying, but my main point is that we are a very inconsistent team at best, much like a lot of the middle of the NHL......I don't get to see many games in person, but I was at the 5-0 game against Arizona awhile back and watched the last 2 games Florida and Calgary........thinking, oh my god....CDC is actually enjoying this......brutal hockey IMO.......

So, I think to myself....self where is Vrbata?........Vrbata goes as the Sedins go, and we know how that plays out......great against any team that is not big or fast. as they get older this will be more and more the case

RW isn't really our problem...we have Burrows, who would have more goals playing regularly with Hank and Dank, and we have Kassian, that needs a play making center, not to mention Jensen, that can get up because of that.

What we need is for Benning to come out and say we had a great opportunity to cash in on Vrbata's success here and we took it, we are going to try going back with Burrows now that he seems to have recovered from his injuries and give the young kids a try. You have my word we will be active in the UFA market this summer and well this was a better option than 4 playoff games :picard: he hangs his head and waits for the screaming.

Look, I get that the seasons ticket holder want a winner.....but they don't realize the worst is yet to come.....or be content on mediocrity. :sadno:

To me Vrbata's value here is short lived, because of his age, his contract and the Sedin's ages......his value at the deadline is another good pick in a deep draft and most likely a prospect

Archived