The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Lots of fans are basing their expectations upon the Oct~Dec period.

After Jan is a different season(diff reffing too!)

Contenders don't throw away games vs tired rivals. Wasted opportunity.

Bring up more energy/youth from Utica perhaps? Or is it time to make a deal for a decent fwd?

You mean like the hawks losing to the Oilers.

Or the Ducks losing to the Coyotes

Or the sharks losing to buffalo, twice

Or like kings losing to the flames after giving up 3 goals in the third.

Or like the lightning losing to buffalo

Or like the canadians losing to buffalo twice back to back

Oh you mean like the penguins losing to the canes

Alright, let's see here...

- Canucks played a solid game. Put shots on net, and had some good chances in close, just couldn't convert. Part of that was puck luck with the posts, part of that was a strong performance from Ortio, and part of that was on the Canucks themselves. But the effort was there.

- Third and fourth lines looked good out there. First line was also decent. Second needs work, though, but we knew that.

- Sbisa had a number of bad turnovers, and while he's showed flashes of what he can be, he hasn't been that the majority of the time. Still, give him the rest of the season. According to CDC, the season is a lost one anyways, so what's the harm in trying to develop a potential asset?

- Bieksa had a good defensive play tonight when he rushed that 2-on-1 when Tanev fell down, and the stuff on here is usually negative (deservedly so because he has had some bad decisions), but let's recognize Juice for playing pretty well tonight!

- Watching Kassian's game tonight, something that sticks out is the way Matthias and Richardson support him. Kassian often picks up the puck behind the net/near the boards and forces his way around to get to the point or make a nice set up play, but when the defense manages to poke it away Richardson and Matthias use their own strength and size to continue that cycle. As much as I'd love to see Kassian in a Top 6 role, the linemates he'd get there probably don't offer that same sort of presence. For now, Kassian on that third line is probably the best spot for him, especially since it serves more as a 2b line than a third line. Of course, I would like to see that line get some more minutes.

- Canucks are an old team, and their top 2 lines are fairly slow. But we knew all of that coming into this season. So many people said before the season that they expected very little of the Canucks this season. The Canucks have performed beyond what anyone here expected, and there have been some real bright spots (effectiveness of third and fourth lines, great penalty kill). Remember that while management wants to ice a competitive team to create a winning culture (in both Utica and Vancouver), they know that at the very least a retool is needed. But Benning needs a season to assess the parts of this team. Just like I said last game, don't get too high, don't get too low.

- Not too much for me to complain about tonight, or for anyone really. Yes there's still stuff to work out, but 1) Corrado played 2) Canucks outshot the other team (by a wide margin) 3) Sedins had some good chances. Those are all some things people have been complaining about around here, so it's nice to see those things all happen.

Agree with you 100%.

Again, so what? What difference does it make if you're in the zone and are getting shots that will be stopped 100% of the time?

I just think this is not the best way to judge how a team has performed in a game like this one, basing on zone time.

Heck of a lot better than being dominated by the Kings after having a 3-1 lead and losing.

O.K. we out played the Flames by shots on goal, scoring chances and we shut down their PP, but we still lost a game we should have one for sure. Another game without a single power play, strange.

I just wish the doom and gloomers would STFU. If Calgary doesn't get a lucky bounce we get a point too, you can't win them all in this league. Too bad for Eddy.

I'm starting to doubt they can go over 500 hockey to even make the playoffs? They need to win at least 23 out of their remaining 42 to get 95 points which is about what you need? There's nothing they've showed in the last few years that gives me any extra hope? Sorry guys not being negative just realistic.

O.K. we out played the Flames by shots on goal, scoring chances and we shut down their PP, but we still lost a game we should have one for sure. Another game without a single power play, strange.

I just wish the doom and gloomers would STFU. If Calgary doesn't get a lucky bounce we get a point too, you can't win them all in this league. Too bad for Eddy.

The concern is not this game in isolation. It's the fact that there have been a lot of games like this for going on three seaosns now.

Archived