The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Flames @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm starting to doubt they can go over 500 hockey to even make the playoffs? They need to win at least 23 out of their remaining 42 to get 95 points which is about what you need? There's nothing they've showed in the last few years that gives me any extra hope? Sorry guys not being negative just realistic.

agree 100%

I'm far more than okay with missing the playoffs. It's a very strong and deep draft year and adding another promising prospect to the growing prospect pool is going to make the Canucks that much stronger down the road. Especially with GM Benning at the helm to make that important pick.

The transition and growing pains are going to suck for a while but in the end, it'll all be worth it.

I have never understood the positive behind hitting the post? Is it related to being close to going in? Because shooting the puck into the goalies logo is close,or their glove. The post is the worst miss you can have, you beat the goalie but couldn't score. If you beat the goalie and you miss you should be pissed.

Players use it as a positive, it's weak.

Fair enough, however the goalposts are generally behind a goalie, which means if you've hit one you've beaten the goalie... Whatever, it's all semantics because at the end of the day it's not a goal or a save... LOL it's not even a shot

I have never understood the positive behind hitting the post? Is it related to being close to going in? Because shooting the puck into the goalies logo is close,or their glove. The post is the worst miss you can have, you beat the goalie but couldn't score. If you beat the goalie and you miss you should be pissed.

Players use it as a positive, it's weak.

Posts have a good chance of deflecting the puck into the net as well as keeping them out. Generally if the player hits a post they take it as a positive because they managed to get the puck into a corner/edge and nearly had a goal. If you shoot into a goalies logo/glove, that's not considered as positive because that means the goalie was square to your shot/it wasn't a good shot.

As someone who plays many sports, generally posts/crossbars do serve as motivation for me to try again for a goal. To each their own I guess, but if the players find motivation in it, let them. Momentum is important in any sport and posts can contribute to shifting the momentum towards your team.

Wasn't impressed by him tonight and was confused at some of the posts saying they were. There's no reason that he shouldn't at least be hitting guys out there. But he'd rather be a so-so playmaker. That's not going to work.

I lost count how many time plays have died on his stick, he doesn't forecheck hard, doesn't finish his hits. He's so frustrating to watch especially when guys much smaller than him are driving the net and finishing their checks.

Where is the big powerforward with a mean streak that Gillis sold us on?!

Only a true hater could consider what Lack said to be complaining.

Only a true hater could complain about the goalie who stopped 22 of 23 shots in a 1-0 loss.

Only a true hater could consider that most of the fans would be happy after a loss.

You're right. I'm definitely a hater but not for Lack or Miller. I'm behind them 100%. Some of the fanbase on the other hand....

Is it realistic to make the next 42 game predictions off the last two previous games with a flu bug going through the team.....

No that just plain dumb

Only Lack and Miller had the flu, pretty sure the rest of the team didn't. Oh and you don't even need to be realistic, you only need to know the futility of this team over the years. There always seems to be something that gets to this team in the end, whether it be injuries, mental strength, no depth, bad reffing? There never seems to be any fairy tale ending for them? We really must be crazy to keep on dreaming for a cup? LOL

A couple of positives I haven't noticed mentioned yet:

1. Horvat got playing time late in the 3rd period which hadn't been the case in other games recently, so presumably had gained the confidence of the coach.

2. Corrado looked to have had a solid performance in his first game for the Canucks this year.

The entirety of your statement was meant for the period of games after Jan 31 2015 ?

my reply was too

"Contenders don't throw away games vs tired rivals. Wasted opportunity."

You mean like the hawks losing to the Oilers.

Or the Ducks losing to the Coyotes

Or the sharks losing to buffalo, twice

Or like kings losing to the flames after giving up 3 goals in the third.

Or like the lightning losing to buffalo

Or like the canadians losing to buffalo twice back to back

Oh you mean like the penguins losing to the canes

canucks are 2-3 in the month of Jan, Last year canucks went 1-7.

I'm not too worried. .500 hockey gets the canucks into the post season. We don't have a terrible road trip coming up. we have some weaker teams that can help us heat up again. I can easily see the Canucks going 6-2 in there next 8

Only Lack and Miller had the flu, pretty sure the rest of the team didn't. Oh and you don't even need to be realistic, you only need to know the futility of this team over the years. There always seems to be something that gets to this team in the end, whether it be injuries, mental strength, no depth, bad reffing? There never seems to be any fairy tale ending for them? We really must be crazy to keep on dreaming for a cup? LOL

Higgins or vbrata haven't recently missed games with the flu?

when 4 of a 23 man roster have had it. it's going through the room.

Fairly tale ending....No I just expect post season and then go from there. Not a team in the league that canucks can't beat. Especially if miller can get hot.

You mean like the hawks losing to the Oilers.

Or the Ducks losing to the Coyotes

Or the sharks losing to buffalo, twice

Or like kings losing to the flames after giving up 3 goals in the third.

Or like the lightning losing to buffalo

Or like the canadians losing to buffalo twice back to back

Oh you mean like the penguins losing to the canes

I get what you're saying, but like none of those teams are "tired rivals".

Hawks and Oilers are different divisions, not really rivals.

Sharks and Buffalo are opposite conferences.

Lightning and Buffalo aren't really rivals. Buffalo is bottom-tier.

Same with Canadiens and Buffalo.

Same with Pens and Canes.

Your point is valid though if you mean they should be winning against the lesser teams.

The concern is not this game in isolation. It's the fact that there have been a lot of games like this for going on three seaosns now.

What does that mean, generalize much? You could say that about any teams record, guess what, losses are rarely impressive, ask the Kings about their most recent lost to Calgary.

This team has way more going for it than last year's, never mind the last three years.It's not even a valid comparison at this stage of the season.

I lost count how many time plays have died on his stick, he doesn't forecheck hard, doesn't finish his hits. He's so frustrating to watch especially when guys much smaller than him are driving the net and finishing their checks.

Where is the big powerforward with a mean streak that Gillis sold us on?!

I'm not depending on Kassian to lead the team or anything, but there are some ongoing trends in his game that lead me to believe that he thinks he's a playmaking winger and not a power forward. Not sure why he'd want to go that route though, as he's not quick enough for that role and if he wants a big contract sooner, he'll need to start playing like a power forward. Maybe he will next year, a contract year? But this trend has been going on for a long time now.

After quite a bit of rest I expected a bigger impact when he returned. He's been alright I guess, but there's still no edge and not much energy either there. 150 NHL games played now. It's pretty much becoming time when he has to find his game. Cross fingers.

Archived