The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscars 2015 / Best Films of 2014

The Bookie

Good find.

And Yes I am WAY out of my depth here as I don`t follow movies to the extent a lot of posters here do. I just find the unbelievable hypocrisy laughable coming from people about this whole thing.

Good find.

And Yes I am WAY out of my depth here as I don`t follow movies to the extent a lot of posters here do. I just find the unbelievable hypocrisy laughable coming from people about this whole thing.

Good find.

Good find.

Im the same.....I barely watch tv...I've never completed a series and as far as movies go, I don't go out of my way to see them....Hollywood bores me mostly...I love Clint Eastwood (boyhood hero) but sniper?!?!? Really?!?! Murica!!! Rah rah sis boom bah!!! I'll see it next year maybe on Netflix

Good find.

To put it simply, this year was a year when good movies only had white leads and white supporting cast. Which looks bad on Hollywood and the Western film industry in general (I'm talking indies).

It's fair to have the Oscars have an emphasis on English-speaking films, but English-speaking countries have plenty of minorities. I almost never see American Latinos or Asian Americans taking on serious roles in movies. It's a problem where there seems to be no progress. Besides, when you have Marion Cotillard get nominated again for her role (going for her second win) in a non-English film, it should be fair game for just about any movie.

You also mentioned how Asian awards ceremonies don't take nominations from outside their country (unless it's a foreign film award). What a stupid argument. Nobody outside the Philippines gives a crap about what happens inside the Philippines. It's to celebrate their national film industry. That's not what the Oscars are for. The point of the Oscars is to showcase the best of the best in film overall.

It's time people stopped looking to the Oscars as the holy grail of movies. The Golden Globes use the Hollywood Foreign Press, which has a better selection of judges than just a bunch of old white dudes.

To put it simply, this year was a year when good movies only had white leads and white supporting cast. Which looks bad on Hollywood and the Western film industry in general (I'm talking indies).

It's fair to have the Oscars have an emphasis on English-speaking films, but English-speaking countries have plenty of minorities. I almost never see American Latinos or Asian Americans taking on serious roles in movies. It's a problem where there seems to be no progress. Besides, when you have Marion Cotillard get nominated again for her role (going for her second win) in a non-English film, it should be fair game for just about any movie.

You also mentioned how Asian awards ceremonies don't take nominations from outside their country (unless it's a foreign film award). What a stupid argument. Nobody outside the Philippines gives a crap about what happens inside the Philippines. It's to celebrate their national film industry. That's not what the Oscars are for. The point of the Oscars is to showcase the best of the best in film overall.

It's time people stopped looking to the Oscars as the holy grail of movies. The Golden Globes use the Hollywood Foreign Press, which has a better selection of judges than just a bunch of old white dudes.

not really. in order for nominations to happen, you have to meet certain requirements, including having certain number of screenings over a set period of time in major theatres in los angeles -- the Oscars are not about watching a bunch of Chinese or Russian movies or whatever. Oscars are very much America-centered, and there is no effort to conceal that. the production company also needs to put in the effort to see this stuff done and have the work submitted and requirements met. a lot of small scale foreign companies do not have the resources to do this

and i also disagree about the Golden Globes. the Globes are voted on by people outside of the industry. How could you honestly care what some shlub thinks about directing as opposed the Oscars, where _actual directors_ vote on best director? Does it matter if they are white or black? or 30 or 65?

the Golden Globes are about bribery and dishonesty just as much (if not more) than they are about recognizing talent

not really. in order for nominations to happen, you have to meet certain requirements, including having certain number of screenings over a set period of time in major theatres in los angeles -- the Oscars are not about watching a bunch of Chinese or Russian movies or whatever. Oscars are very much America-centered, and there is no effort to conceal that. the production company also needs to put in the effort to see this stuff done and have the work submitted and requirements met. a lot of small scale foreign companies do not have the resources to do this

and i also disagree about the Golden Globes. the Globes are voted on by people outside of the industry. How could you honestly care what some shlub thinks about directing as opposed the Oscars, where _actual directors_ vote on best director? Does it matter if they are white or black? or 30 or 65?

the Golden Globes are about bribery and dishonesty just as much (if not more) than they are about recognizing talent

I take it you don't believe in the idea of film awards like this (outside of festivals, that is).

Why is there so much controversy over Ava DuVernay and David Oyelowo being "snubbed". It's as if the bleeding hearts of the world are just waiting to play the race/gender card. Maybe... just maybe... there were other, more deserving nominees?

The direction in Selma was good but nothing special. Linklater and Inarritu were the clear favorites, with the rest of the field a toss-up. Personally, I'd rank Fincher, Eastwood, and Nolan ahead of DuVernay, if we're talking honorable mentions. And I think Gyllenhaal was the real snub of this year's awards; not Oyelowo.

The real issue starts with Hollywood and not with who the Academy chooses to acknowledge. There is a distinct lack of minorities and a female viewpoint in Hollywood film but that will likely never change. The thing to keep in mind is that Hollywood is a business and the majority of it's domestic market is white. Is it really that big of a surprise that minorities are not better represented?

I take it you don't believe in the idea of film awards like this (outside of festivals, that is).

i don't know what the idea of it even is? i mean, i enjoy movies a lot, and so why wouldn't i like to see an event celebrating the craft of it? i don't like the red carpet stuff, don't care about the celebrity worship. but i still watch almost every year.

i get nothing out of it other than a bit of mindless entertainment, and hopes that the host is good, and maybe a few people or works that i admire get acknowledged. idk why people get so rabid and hateful over it

although i probably would have lit a street full of cars on fire and raided my local supermarket with a gun had i watched Crash win best pic in 2005 over Brokeback Mountain and Capote

2005 has gotta be the worst year of the new millennium for film. The top 100 on RT

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2005

Good year for docs (Murderball, Grizzly Man, March of the Penguins top 10) but only one movie on that list really stuck for me, Oldboy (#79)

Oldboy was robbed...

for real?

fantastic year in my opinion.

capote, brokeback mountain, grizzly man, cache.. all top notch, IMO.

goodnight and good luck, howl's moving castle, kung fu hustle, the proposition, 2046, squid and the whale, paradise now, walk the line.. thought these were all really good too. lots of people seemed to love Batman Begins (i never saw it, for some reason). honestly, 2005 looks like one of the best years of the 2000s for me, haha

outside of the very obvious, very glowing top 3 of 2014, i think its been a very weak year. 2012 was very poor for my tastes, too

2005 has gotta be the worst year of the new millennium for film. The top 100 on RT

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/?year=2005

Good year for docs (Murderball, Grizzly Man, March of the Penguins top 10) but only one movie on that list really stuck for me, Oldboy (#79)

Oldboy was robbed...

Many critics felt that 2005 was one of the strongest Best Picture line-ups in recent years and I felt the same way. Funny enough, probably the least deserving film won the big prize (Crash). Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck and the very-underrated Munich were all outstanding. It was such a strong year that Oscar-bait like Walk the Line and Cinderella Man didn't even get nominated.

Another very underrated film was the critics' darling A History of Violence, as well as Woody Allen's Match Point. And, as far as foreign films go, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, Oldboy and the tremendous Cache were all great films.

for real?

fantastic year in my opinion.

capote, brokeback mountain, grizzly man, cache.. all top notch, IMO.

goodnight and good luck, howl's moving castle, kung fu hustle, the proposition, 2046, squid and the whale, paradise now, walk the line.. thought these were all really good too. lots of people seemed to love Batman Begins (i never saw it, for some reason). honestly, 2005 looks like one of the best years of the 2000s for me, haha

outside of the very obvious, very glowing top 3 of 2014, i think its been a very weak year. 2012 was very poor for my tastes, too

...The Constant Gardener, Junebug, Broken Flowers, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Hustle and Flow, Sin City, Layer Cake, Duma, Water, 40 Year-Old Virgin, Worlds' Fastest Indian, Mad Hot Ballroom...

Yeah, 2005 had a ton of quality movies.

What the Totally Insane Box Office for ‘American Sniper’ Means for the Oscar Race

bradley-cooper2.jpg?w=750

Can sudden, massive, greater-than-expected success at the box office help a Best Picture contender win an Academy Award? It’s a question that doesn’t come up very often, but a reasonable one to ask after Clint Eastwood’s American Sniper amassed what is predicted to be a $105 million gross over Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. To put that in quick perspective: In four days, American Sniper will have outgrossed every other film in the category this year. According to Box Office Mojo, its three-day take broke records for the biggest January/February opening in history and the biggest non-franchise opening in history;1 it trails onlyThe Matrix Reloaded as the biggest R-rated opening in history. And Sniperwent into the weekend boasting industry momentum as well — six Oscar nominations, including the big one.

So do we have a new Best Picture favorite? We do not. Oscar voters can pander to many different things — charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent, as RuPaul would say, not to mention power and beauty — but money is rarely on that list. It’s been eight years since we had a Best Picture, The Departed, that was also the biggest hit among the contenders.2 There’s actually more Oscar history working againstAmerican Sniper than for it; the lack of a nomination for its director is a hurdle only two Best Picture winners have surmounted in the last 80 years. One was Driving Miss Daisy; the other, more famously, was Argo, when the omission of Ben Affleck from Best Director may have prompted a counterreaction that helped the movie win Best Picture. But Sniper isn’tArgo; Eastwood’s omission was not a shock the way Affleck’s was, and to the dubious extent that any Academy sympathy might accrue to a film that the Academy itself appears to have undervalued, Selma is a much likelier beneficiary.

There’s something else to consider: In part as a result of that huge box-office number, the conversation around and about American Sniper is about to get a lot more political. Eastwood’s film pretty much skated through its prenomination heats because of (1) Clint love among the Academy’s mostly old/white/male votership, which is not monolithic but, you know, not entirely non-monolithic; and (2) the history police being too busy disemboweling Selma to pay much attention to the fact that Eastwood’s movie was about a man who made his name by killing 160 people in the Iraq War.

Now that changes. The next few days are likely to see any number of right-of-center media outlets herald the film’s box office triumph as a victory for “real Americans,” and an implicit counterweight to “Hollyweird.” And there’s going to be more discussion all along the ideological spectrum about the degree to which American Sniper is in fact a conservative movie — conservative not in the kind of overt expression of politics that it shrewdly takes pains to avoid, but rather in its relative lack of interest in the people Chris Kyle killed, or the country in which they were killed, or what we were doing there.3

The traditional artistic defense for movies like American Sniper is that what they’re interested in is not context, but rather you-are-there veracity — what is it like to be the character at the center of the story? That explanation is only as legitimate as the degree to which a movie convinces you that it is at least aware of the world beyond its own borders (in other words, it has to feel somehow mindful of what it omitted), which is why it works for some movies better than for others. It helped push The Hurt Locker all the way to the finish line, but when charges that Zero Dark Thirty misappropriated torture as a tool to amp up the hunt for Osama bin Laden took hold, the “it’s not about politics” defense was rejected and its Oscar campaign died on the spot, between nominations and awards.

Like American Sniper, Zero Dark Thirty went into the second phase of the Oscar race with a handful of nominations, including Best Picture and Screenplay, but with its director out of the running — and Kathryn Bigelow didn’t carry half the baggage that Eastwood does. How much of that history attaches to the movie itself? There’s no pretending that Eastwood’s decision to venerate the struggles of men in war without looking too closely at the war itself isn’t political as well as aesthetic. It should also be acknowledged that it’s very Eastwoodian; the same approach has informed movies in his filmography as bad as Heartbreak Ridge and as good as Letters from Iwo Jima.

Of course, the decision that ideology and historical context have no connection to human experience in wartime can be a way of saying war is “above” politics, which is in some ways about as political a statement as you can make. American Sniper explicitly seeks to honor Chris Kyle and his memory. But the degree to which his life should be memorialized, as opposed to examined, is an argument the film’s success will reignite rather than resolve. That won’t necessarily be a right-versus-left fight. Even in Hollywood, support for the movie doesn’t break down along entirely traditional lines — Michael Moore apparently does not admire American Sniper, but Jane Fonda does. However, overall, the film epitomizes a take on war that, in recent years, has not done well with the Academy. It’s not primarily a story of death or destruction or waste or casualty; it’s very much a story about prowess, and about what that prowess costs the person who possesses it. War narratives about the burden and responsibility of being exceptional — a notion that in some ways echoes what is often the conservative case for military intervention — are more polarizing than this one may have initially appeared to be. In which case, I wouldn’t expect Academy members to give Eastwood’s film any more respect than the considerable amount they’ve already shown it. Success breeds scrutiny, and some voters may only now be taking their first close look at what exactly it is they nominated.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/american-sniper-bradley-cooper-box-office-oscar-race/

• 1 month later...

I just look at the results late Sunday / early Monday. The actual awards show is like pulling teeth to me.

Mark Harris did his predictions in a five part series this week. I considered reviving this thread to post them but was too lazy. Worth reading though.

http://grantland.com/contributors/mark-harris/

He had Birdman for best pic and Linklater for director. Acting categories are all pretty predictable.

Archived