The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: The city of New York VS Al-Qaeda (Signups closed)

Zfetch

Aladeen and I have been batting around the idea of co-hosting a game with nightfalls twice a day, trying to get some good mechanics to take advantage of it...

if you just want to talk some stuff out, feel free to PM me or any other hosts, but if its basically a vanilla game with just a theme as long as you can set a time once a day for you to do night falls you should be fine on your own (note: night falls don't HAVE to be at night... the could be afternoon falls or morning falls ;) )

Absolutely I'd be willing to co-host with you if you'd like

I was planning for it to be a bit more than vanilla. My current plan for the game would also require A LOT of players to work to the fullest (I'm talking 30-40) and I don't think there's ever been a game that big. As interest seems to be kind of low right now, I could wait till it picks up again, or plan a scaled down version that I could try hosting alone in the near future (though not necessarily right now.)

I was planning for it to be a bit more than vanilla. My current plan for the game would also require A LOT of players to work to the fullest (I'm talking 30-40) and I don't think there's ever been a game that big. As interest seems to be kind of low right now, I could wait till it picks up again, or plan a scaled down version that I could try hosting alone in the near future (though not necessarily right now.)

Ahhh yes, hosting a 40 player game.... one can dream ;)

not until quiet people actually start to get punished with VKs, MKs and GKs

right now, the theme is quiet people live longer so be quiet and you'll make it to the end... makes games more boring

I respectfully disagree - the solution is not to punish the quiet ones, but to incentivise them. Many players simply care a bit less if they don't have a role to keep them engaged. That's a natural correlation, to be fair.

Of course, the downside of giving everyone a role is balance. It's dangerously easy to make a game unbalanced when GMs start getting creative. (As the guy who first really started getting wacky with game themes, I'm all too aware that I'm not as smart as I want to think I am - on a couple occasions I came up with a really cool set of ideas, only to see the game take a completely unexpected direction.)

Also, a larger part of the problem is out of our control. You need a solid core of active players, and the "old guard" are not all playing to their full attention these days. Some are on hiatus, some are burnt out (even if they are still playing), some are busy. In all the years of playing Mafia, it was a bit of a perfect storm that led to about a year of extreme activity. That era may now be over, sadly. For my part, in all that time I've become something of a real adult with a real career and real responsibilities. As much as I want to continue playing, I know I have other priorities. I suspect others have their own reasons as well that aren't so easily "solved."

All we can do is keep going, maybe take a break here and there, and wait for that perfect storm to hit again.

Anyway, sorry, I went off on a bit of a ramble there. :)

Aladeen and I have been batting around the idea of co-hosting a game with nightfalls twice a day, trying to get some good mechanics to take advantage of it...

That's a neat idea. You'd have to keep the roster to a small group of active players, but the games would be fast and furious.

We could also try to set up a day for a "live" game, where everyone is online for a few hours at once and we play speed rounds of 15-20 minutes or even less. I could possibly do that, even, if it was on the weekend. Again, the games would naturally be kept small, but they'd still be tons of fun.

We could also try to set up a day for a "live" game, where everyone is online for a few hours at once and we play speed rounds of 15-20 minutes or even less. I could possibly do that, even, if it was on the weekend. Again, the games would naturally be kept small, but they'd still be tons of fun.

I've thought of this before, and I think it would be amazing if we could make it work.

One problem is, even if everyone is active at the same, it would be difficult to get a read on players in just 15-20 minutes.

I respectfully disagree - the solution is not to punish the quiet ones, but to incentivise them. Many players simply care a bit less if they don't have a role to keep them engaged. That's a natural correlation, to be fair.

Of course, the downside of giving everyone a role is balance. It's dangerously easy to make a game unbalanced when GMs start getting creative. (As the guy who first really started getting wacky with game themes, I'm all too aware that I'm not as smart as I want to think I am - on a couple occasions I came up with a really cool set of ideas, only to see the game take a completely unexpected direction.)

Also, a larger part of the problem is out of our control. You need a solid core of active players, and the "old guard" are not all playing to their full attention these days. Some are on hiatus, some are burnt out (even if they are still playing), some are busy. In all the years of playing Mafia, it was a bit of a perfect storm that led to about a year of extreme activity. That era may now be over, sadly. For my part, in all that time I've become something of a real adult with a real career and real responsibilities. As much as I want to continue playing, I know I have other priorities. I suspect others have their own reasons as well that aren't so easily "solved."

All we can do is keep going, maybe take a break here and there, and wait for that perfect storm to hit again.

Anyway, sorry, I went off on a bit of a ramble there. :)

I've noticed that many players also get a lot more quiet when they have roles in order to not draw attention to themselves

Archived