The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

51 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

First off......

I have to apologize for the blank quotes. For some reason the replies free up and I can't get out of them without just erasing everything and sending the blank reply. Of I can figure out a way around it I will....again my apologies.

If EDM takes Tkachuk, then we simply take Dubois. I see this situation as a no lose for us. In alot of ways I believe that Dubois could be pumping out the same production if he was playing for London. Plus he is much bigger and a bit more physical like Linden was back when he was in Junior.

Ha, mine does the same.  

3 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I can't remember which TSN guy it was but last week on Team 1040 he was questioning Matthews. He pointed out how when the big game is on that Matthews has a tough time. Much like at WJC when the games starred getting tougher he didn't do much in his last 2 games. Ya, he is lighting it up in Swiss League but big deal. All Laine has done is go out and win the Gold at WJC, Finnish league championship and wasn't just a dude warming the bench, he was a factor everytime he was on the ice.  now he is going to make a case of winning WC gold.

What has Matthews done?  Ooooooo he tipped in an easy pass against Belarus.....let's all carry his jock strap

It's pretty funny because the Leafs can't not take Matthews, but there's a very good chance Laine will be the better player.

10 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Well until such time.....I'm gonna focus our drafting attention on Tkachuk. He is a sure fire dude. When was the last guy to light up his playoff run like that? 

If there is a choice between Tkachuk and Brown, I'm still going for Tkachuk. Ya we need a center but we still take BPA.

yeah, besides . . . with apples never fall far from the tree and all the teams' girlfriends will be ransacked

On 5/6/2016 at 9:38 PM, canuckledraggin said:

It made no sense to me for the Canucks to burn a year from his elc and only play him for half of the games down the stretch. McCann would have been better served going down to be a leader for SSM. Unfortunately the Comets were as beat up as the Canucks and they actually needed everyone to ice 2 full teams. The experience he gained in the gym and on the ice will be invaluable, but I'm in the "he goes to Utica no matter how well he plays" group.

I'd send Virtanen to the AHL too for the simple fact that you can with no waiver implications. You explain to these young guys that they probably shouldn't have been in the NHL last year, but our eagerness to jump start our rebuild gave you an opportunity to learn the league at an early age. Now that we've made you semi-rich and you know what you need to do, go show it in the AHL and you'll get a chance at a call up when injuries happen... the way we all know they will.

Then I do the same thing with Tkachuk, Dubois, or (call me crazy) Brown and put him straight into the NHL. In the same way that there were no PTOs last year, I doubt we see any this year. Barring a Hansen trade and/or a UFA signing I expect the lineup to look close to:

Sedin Sedin Hansen/UFA

Baertschi Sutter Rodin

Tkachuk/PLD Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Zalewski

Edler Tanev

Hutton Tryamkin

Hamhuis Sbisa

Pedan Larsen

With parity being what it is in the league and the younger cheaper players stepping into the salary cap era. the Canucks could afford to waive Burrows and keep him in our organization. Burrows should be paid 4 million to play in the AHL. Sign Vey to an AHL deal. Unfortunately you have to waive Grenier but I think he gets through just due to the number of players in a salary cap era.

Not a huge fan of people speculating on the 2017 lineup before the draft and free agency, but I like your written points.

7 hours ago, Monty said:

This is how I've been looking at it. Just before the lottery, Laine had already worked his way into the top spot for two scouts. As the draft nears, I'm sure he'll squeak into a few others.

But yeah, the Jets are in a win-win. They are going to get a great player regardless, as both Matthews and Laine should be fantastic.

The thing is, in this draft, 2nd overall is actually the best overall due to a few reasons.

1. You get the leftovers of Matthews or Laine. 

2. You get Matthews, your franchise centerman if he falls 2nd, or you get your bonafide goal scorer, elite player Laine.

3. You don't get as much pressure to screwing up than the Leafs. In fact, I don't think you can mess up. All you're doing is picking up the leftovers of Matthews or Laine. Toronto however, they need to do some of their own work to determine which player is going to be better or more valuable. They obviously know they can't screw the first overall pick up. Is Matthews better, more valuable, and is a player to build your team around with or do you get a top scorer who will compliment Marner? 

4. ????????

5. Win....

I am of the opinion the leafs could pick Laine. I mean, they have been looking at maybe signing Stamkos anyways. If Laine continues this torrid pace, I can imagine them having quite the top 6 next year. Let's see what happens...but having the hometown boy in Toronto, captaining the Leafs, might almost be more important to them than drafting Matthews. Watch them trade for his rights at the draft with their 2nd or 3rd rounder.

3 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I am of the opinion the leafs could pick Laine. I mean, they have been looking at maybe signing Stamkos anyways. If Laine continues this torrid pace, I can imagine them having quite the top 6 next year. Let's see what happens...but having the hometown boy in Toronto, captaining the Leafs, might almost be more important to them than drafting Matthews. Watch them trade for his rights at the draft with their 2nd or 3rd rounder.

They didn't do the full tank (and successfully) to miss out on a franchise # 1 centre.  They will take Matthews - guaranteed.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They didn't do the full tank (and successfully) to miss out on a franchise # 1 centre.  They will take Matthews - guaranteed.

I don't think it's that guaranteed. Let's see if they trade for Stamkos' rights on draft day. 

Just now, Noseforthenet said:

I don't think it's that guaranteed. Let's see if they trade for Stamkos' rights on draft day. 

They might not want Stamkos, and the dollars he demands (And deserves btw) now they can get Matthews.  Matthews is a true centre.  Is Stamkos better at wing? 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They might not want Stamkos, and the dollars he demands (And deserves btw) now they can get Matthews.  Matthews is a true centre.  Is Stamkos better at wing? 

Stammer isn't going anywhere he won't be playing center. No way. And you know, they may not or they might. All I know is with the way Laine is playing right now, he is making a very strong case. Plus, the Leafs could definitely value the presence of veteran leadership down the middle more than a new center. I'm obviously playing devil's advocate here. As the world Championships should pretty much seal who goes first.

7 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Stammer isn't going anywhere he won't be playing center. No way. And you know, they may not or they might. All I know is with the way Laine is playing right now, he is making a very strong case. Plus, the Leafs could definitely value the presence of veteran leadership down the middle more than a new center. I'm obviously playing devil's advocate here. As the world Championships should pretty much seal who goes first.

How about we sign Stamkos, so we can let our younger guys stay in junior and the minors longer?  Plus, that would put Sutter to wing, and allow Bo to play # 3.

Just now, Alflives said:

How about we sign Stamkos, so we can let our younger guys stay in junior and the minors longer?  Plus, that would put Sutter to wing, and allow Bo to play # 3.

I would love that more than the Leafs signing him. That's for sure. I just think Stamkos won't make it to free agency. Whoever wants to sign him will trade for his rights, then back up the truck of money and dump it on his doorstep.

2 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

I would love that more than the Leafs signing him. That's for sure. I just think Stamkos won't make it to free agency. Whoever wants to sign him will trade for his rights, then back up the truck of money and dump it on his doorstep.

Does AQUAMAN own a trucking company? ^_^

Archived