The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Toffoli

Mackcanuck

Should have been a suspension, we'll just have to do our own policing.

See Senpai?

This is how it's created. So my point is in reference to the fact that when those policing situations (or at least those in place who are supposed to) don't, it allows for this. It starts here.

I hope Canuck management is all over the NHL for this hypocritical decision.

It would be nice to contact Quintal but of course he lives in a protective bubble so we can't let him know what we think of him and his lack of competence .

There are two sets of rules, one for NHL darling teams and one for the rest of the teams. In case you can't figure it out, we're part of the "rest of the teams". That's why people are mad.

i am going to suggest to you to watch some games not involving the Canucks i know crazy thought but just maybe you would get some actually insight to the NHL as a whole and realize these things that happen to the Canucks happen to pretty much every single team so no there is no special rule book for certain teams

the refs on the ice are human and so is the rest of the league officials

i am going to suggest to you to watch some games not involving the Canucks i know crazy thought but just maybe you would get some actually insight to the NHL as a whole and realize these things that happen to the Canucks happen to pretty much every single team so no there is no special rule book for certain teams

Good point. Time to upgrade.

I think he made that clear? He does get it from what I can see.

But "human" refs have a job to do and, in any other job, if injuries occur then it's up to those in place to do everything they can to prevent them. The refs did their jobs (actually)....it was the big brass who dropped the ball.

People are getting worked up for the wrong reasons on this one I think. For one, Burrows turns away from the pending contact by Toffoli, so a hit from behind wasn't going to be the reason for a suspension. It's an unnecessary hit, but that's hardly against the rules either.

Where there is a big question mark for me though, is the timing of the hit. Burrows gets to play the puck with Toffoli close to him and looking for contact, but then he turns away as if to start heading to the bench. That opens the gap between them slightly and Toffoli has to chase a bit and then still decides to hit Burrows just as Burrows turns into the worst position possible that far out from the boards. He doesn't blow him up or anything, but it's by no means a love tap, and considering the result if it is late it should be suspended.

And actually was just watching the PVR of the Whitecaps game from yesterday and the highlights came on after. They miss the whole play in real time but show the up ice angle and you can see Henrik is already making a pass after receiving the Burrows' pass shortly before when Toffoli hits him with the cross check. That's late in my books and deserves a suspension.

I'm sure people are already comparing this to the Burrows suspension after hitting Emelin late and in the head, but remember that Burrows didn't even get a penalty on that play during the game (in fact, we went on to score from the turnover). In comparison, Toffoli got the full extent of penalties he could on the ice so that factors into the NHL's decision. I still think the result (which is something I don't like doing but the NHL is fine with so I'm using it here) warrants more action by the league, even if it's only one game.

Remember that time last year when Edler got 5 games for missing a player with his elbow? Those were good times.

Now a player can attempt to paralyze Burrows and there's no consequence. I guess the league wants to see more hits like this!

Hooray!

I'm suggesting that Canuck nation just get over this, and focus on winning the next game, against the Yotes.

Carrying a chip on our shoulders is really a waste of energy when all that is important is getting points and keeping LA out of the playoff picture.

The Canucks won, Burrows came back and if anything happens in the next meeting and there is no discipline then we should all have something to whine about. For now lets enjoy the win and move on.

I suppose everything's been said already but a couple of thoughts anyway.

Toffoli was punished - his ill considered actions helped his team to lose one of the biggest games to this point in the year.

Full marks to Burrows for coming back in the game although I thought he looked pretty shaky. The hit would have ruined the win for me if he hadn't appeared, however briefly, and I truly hope there are no signs of a concussion.

I think Toffoli should have received a hearing and I'm guessing he didn't since the news is out so fast. The league really should explain itself.

Maybe the Canucks management is weak on these issues. Maybe the league is more afraid of owners like Boston and LA.

In any case the penalty the refs dished out should have made the play reviewable at least, and by doing nothing they are sending a bad message to all minor league players and parents that you could have your kids neck broken and it is OK.

You'd think that the Canucks, being one of the top five most profitable teams and contributors to the NHL war chest would have a bigger swingin' you-know-what with the Bettman and the rest of the NHL. It's time for Aquillini to take his heavy-handedness he's reputed for in his business deals and take it to the Board of Governors.

The DoPS ruling (or lack of ruling) is as expected. With its history of rendering decisions that are not in favor of the Canucks, I'm surprised that so many are surprised by DoPS's call on this Toffoli-Burrows incident. Even the Kings commentators were saying that at the least, a review was going to be done. They even gave Burrows a back-hand complement...stating that if this was a couple of years ago, because of Burrows' rep as a Greg Louganis impersonator, they would have questioned him...but since he's reformed, they were in favor of a review and even a suspension for their boy Toffoli. LA commentators supporting some form of disciplinary action while Spector pops off about "justice being served". Spector's a tool.

Cross check on the numbers, 4-5' from the boards...should be an automatic two game suspension.

Note to NHL execs...please bring in guys like Alberts, Savard, Steve Moore (yes I said it) to form a committee with guys like Pronger, Brashear, McSorley to render decisions on player safety.

Archived