The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Toffoli

Mackcanuck

in all fairness the hit didn't look like a deliberate cheap shot...I did not like that Burrows wasn't near the play at all but Toffoli has zero history so the 5 and game misconduct really is all that is needed here.

Next game misconduct Tofolli gets a game depending on the severity of the offence.

Re-Lacks Canuck nation

intent or not, it was careless, late and hit a player in a vulnerable position rssulting in at least a temporary injury and possibly more. This is the kind of unnecessary action the league says it wants to remove from the game. No suspension for this just confirms what i postde earlier.

Lets do the math - a prominent player from one of Bettman's golden teams, a team that is likely to miss the playoffs without all hands on deck, is being judged for a suspension...hmmmmm.......0 games, no fine......is it any surprise? The cup champs, an American team ....

If Burrows does that to Toffoli I find it hard to even imagine that there isnt a game or two slapped down in the verdict.

That was a dirty hit.

side rant: forgive me for pointing out its an American team, I find it hard to believe that something bigger isnt going on when a Canadian team hasnt won anything since 1992. Even if we just go on the law of averages you would figure the cup would have come north at least once or twice in almost a quarter of a century.

From Ben Kuzma

1. HIT ON BURROWS WAS BUILDING: Tyler Toffoli isn’t facing league discipline and Alex Burrows is likely facing concussion symptoms after being driven into the sideboards in the third period Saturday by a vicious crosscheck from the Kings winger. Toffoli received a boarding major and game misconduct and Burrows left the game, but did return for a shift. While that was encouraging, Willie Desjardins didn’t sound optimistic in his post-game address about Burrows playing today.

“I don’t know about that,” said the Canucks coach. “We’ll have to see and he’ll be evaluated.”

Burrows and Toffoli were involved in a second period scrum after Henrik Sedin ran into Jonathan Quick in trying to poke a rebound past the goaltender. Burrows was also trying to get to Toffoli at the end of the period after the two exchanged more words. Then came the crosscheck and a 5-on-3 goal by Radim Vrbata to break a 1-1 draw.

“I didn’t see it, but some of the guys said it was bad and to see him come back to the bench like that, he’s a tough guy and we’re happy he’s not overly hurt,” said Canucks centre Nick Bonino.

Said Toffoli: “It sucks. I wish that it didn’t happen and we won the game and I feel like it’s on my shoulders now. It’s not a good feeling.”

If Burrows is sidelined — even for precautionary reasons — it would likely mean Jannik Hansen moving up to play with Henrik and Daniel Sedin because Zack Kassian isn’t on the two-game trip with a back ailment. That would allow Brandon McMillan to line up with Bo Horvat and Ronalds Kenins and play his fourth game with the Canucks after being claimed off waivers from the Coyotes on Feb. 12.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03/22/canucks-game-day-toffoli-to-pay-for-vicious-hit-on-burrows-markstrom-anxious-to-make-mark-groaner-for-doaner/

Moore sure as hell didn't cheapshot anyone else after Bert did his thing. If the league wants to avoid incidents like this, the DPS needs to start acting like professionals.

I think Moore is a POS, but buddy, Bertuzzi fricken' broke his neck for crying out loud. Jesus Christ, if the roles were reversed and Moore broke Bertuzzi's neck, you guys wouldn't be making jokes about it at all, like EVER. You never wish an injury on other players, that's just being classless.. What are we, Bruins fans? Jesus.

All i'm saying is, joking or not, hoping for someone to break someone else's neck and ruin their career/livelyhood/LIFE is going a little bit over the top.

It wasn't that bad, Toffoli is a young guy with no history(To my knowledge) of that sort of play.

Take off the Rose-Coloured glasses.

This is a fair call.

Regardless of history

To say it wasn't that bad when the league keeps talking out of their a55e5 about just this exact kind of play

From behind in the numbers

Charging in

5 feet from the boards

With intent

And he doesn't even get a fine...

come on dude, that isn't rose coloured anything. We can levy this hit against the edler smith hit, the hansen hossa hit and then we can without any issue at all complain about a lack of consistency and a severe lack of protection to players within this league.

Uniform aside i'd be questioning this call against any player on any team not getting at least a fine

I think Moore is a POS, but buddy, Bertuzzi fricken' broke his neck for crying out loud. Jesus Christ, if the roles were reversed and Moore broke Bertuzzi's neck, you guys wouldn't be making jokes about it at all, like EVER. You never wish an injury on other players, that's just being classless.. What are we, Bruins fans? Jesus.

All i'm saying is, joking or not, hoping for someone to break someone else's neck and ruin their career/livelyhood/LIFE is going a little bit over the top.

Agreed Moore had a damn CAREER ENDING injury. He didn't take a week off and come back sharper then ever. I for one won't sit here and cry and complain about something I have absolutely no control over.

From Ben Kuzma

1. HIT ON BURROWS WAS BUILDING: Tyler Toffoli isn’t facing league discipline and Alex Burrows is likely facing concussion symptoms after being driven into the sideboards in the third period Saturday by a vicious crosscheck from the Kings winger. Toffoli received a boarding major and game misconduct and Burrows left the game, but did return for a shift. While that was encouraging, Willie Desjardins didn’t sound optimistic in his post-game address about Burrows playing today.

“I don’t know about that,” said the Canucks coach. “We’ll have to see and he’ll be evaluated.”

Burrows and Toffoli were involved in a second period scrum after Henrik Sedin ran into Jonathan Quick in trying to poke a rebound past the goaltender. Burrows was also trying to get to Toffoli at the end of the period after the two exchanged more words. Then came the crosscheck and a 5-on-3 goal by Radim Vrbata to break a 1-1 draw.

“I didn’t see it, but some of the guys said it was bad and to see him come back to the bench like that, he’s a tough guy and we’re happy he’s not overly hurt,” said Canucks centre Nick Bonino.

Said Toffoli: “It sucks. I wish that it didn’t happen and we won the game and I feel like it’s on my shoulders now. It’s not a good feeling.”

If Burrows is sidelined — even for precautionary reasons — it would likely mean Jannik Hansen moving up to play with Henrik and Daniel Sedin because Zack Kassian isn’t on the two-game trip with a back ailment. That would allow Brandon McMillan to line up with Bo Horvat and Ronalds Kenins and play his fourth game with the Canucks after being claimed off waivers from the Coyotes on Feb. 12.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03/22/canucks-game-day-toffoli-to-pay-for-vicious-hit-on-burrows-markstrom-anxious-to-make-mark-groaner-for-doaner/

We should play Mcmillan with the Sedins. Keeps our hot line together.

Agreed Moore had a damn CAREER ENDING injury. He didn't take a week off and come back sharper then ever. I for one won't sit here and cry and complain about something I have absolutely no control over.

The people who wish injury upon other players are the same fans who scream "DIVER!!!" when Raymond is lying on the ice with a broken back or "BURROWS YOU HAD IT COMING!" after Toffoli hit him last night.

Just an unclassy move.

How ON EARTH does an assessment of "who" (doles a dangerous hit) serve to protect players? (Hint: it doesn't)

So if someone renders someone else seriously hurt, will it matter that the guy "had no history"? History starts somewhere. No message was sent to deter him from not doing it again.

Take off the blinders...our glasses see just fine.

wheel3games.png

Bull$&!#, Deb. You're telling me you'd give Matt Cooke the same punishment for this type of thing as you would Tyler Toffoli? Really? REALLY!?

Who it is DOES matter, What type of person are they? Do they have any history of this sort of play in their junior careers? How do their peers generally view them?

Do you really think the NHL said nothing to him and just carried on about their business? You can't possibly be that ignorant, I don't believe it.

Yes a "History" has to start somewhere, but it's not like this is Toffoli's first day on skates, it's a fast game, and this sort of thing happens, just because it happened to a Canuck doesn't mean he should be nailed to the freakin' cross.

I'd bet money your tone, and the rest of this section's tone would be very different if Toffoli had hit somebody like Keith or Marchand.

Forget rose coloured glasses, you've got Canuck-Coloured goggles duct taped to your freakin' head girl! :D

Even though Burrows returned to the game, that type of hit should always be suspendable. If the league can't take care of things like this, the players may feel they have to. I would not want to be Tuffoli. There are some stupid, dirty players in the league and often they get away with crap like that hit. It does seem the league favors certain teams.

The point some people are making Senpai is that Steve Moore didn't have a history either with a questionable head shop on Naslund. Had the league looked into it and just gave him a one or two game suspension we probably wouldn't have a Bertuzzi /Moore incident. Its not about just Vancouver . Other teams are complaining about the same thing that the league is totally inconsistent. I'll agree with you nobody should have a career ending injury like that.

Archived