The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

Just finished the Red Queen's War trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Elements of Game of Thrones (armies of the dead, a trip to the frozen north) interspersed with some Norse mythology and a fair dose of humor....

Told from the point of view of a very reluctant anti-hero.... https://www.goodreads.com/series/109248-the-red-queen-s-war Very much enjoyed it and will definitely be reading more of Lawrence's work...

Next up: Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (thanks @bishopshodan)

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just finished the Red Queen's War trilogy by Mark Lawrence. Elements of Game of Thrones (armies of the dead, a trip to the frozen north) interspersed with some Norse mythology and a fair dose of humor....

Told from the point of view of a very reluctant anti-hero.... https://www.goodreads.com/series/109248-the-red-queen-s-war Very much enjoyed it and will definitely be reading more of Lawrence's work...

Next up: Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (thanks @bishopshodan)

Bloody good series that- light bringer. 

Brent also wrote The Night Angel Triology 

Solid fantasy. 

Just finished reading Alistair Reynolds trio of books, Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap.

I have nearly finished his fourth book in that " world" Chasm City. 

Got a few to choose from Next.

Maybe David Brin's Uplift series or Peter.F.Hamiltons Void Trilogy.

Loved his Nights Dawn Trilogy.

Best space opera I have ever read.

20 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Bloody good series that- light bringer. 

Brent also wrote The Night Angel Triology 

Solid fantasy. 

Just finished reading Alistair Reynolds trio of books, Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap.

I have nearly finished his fourth book in that " world" Chasm City. 

Got a few to choose from Next.

Maybe David Brin's Uplift series or Peter.F.Hamiltons Void Trilogy.

Loved his Nights Dawn Trilogy.

Best space opera I have ever read.

Night Angel series was great. It's the main reason I bought Lightbringer.

I read the Uplift series many years ago. (Startide Rising was my favorite, but they're all excellent) IMO, Brin does the best aliens in the business.

• Cheers 1

Just re-read the Belgariad series, by David Eddings. first 4 books, one left to go, if I can find it here in Powell River.

Hadn't read this in decades, Funny how things change. First time around I was enthralled, this time I'm noticing a few too many flaws.

Spoiler

1 Why are the thousands of years old, wizards, surprised when the 15 year being raised as a 'normal' mortal gets upset?

2 If they are so dang smart why don't figure out they need to explain to the kid what's going on?

3 they spend months gathering a team of adventurers and traveling from place to place, only to reduce the crew down to 3 people that try to do it all.

Still a good read though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Just re-read the Belgariad series, by David Eddings. first 4 books, one left to go, if I can find it here in Powell River.

Hadn't read this in decades, Funny how things change. First time around I was enthralled, this time I'm noticing a few too many flaws.

Hide contents

1 Why are the thousands of years old, wizards, surprised when the 15 year being raised as a 'normal' mortal gets upset?

2 If they are so dang smart why don't figure out they need to explain to the kid what's going on?

3 they spend months gathering a team of adventurers and traveling from place to place, only to reduce the crew down to 3 people that try to do it all.

Still a good read though

I've read all of Eddings stuff and like you, I found them enjoyable even though there were several flaws....

To me, he always seemed a bit of a poor man's Stephen R Donaldson....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bitcoin Widow by Jennifer Robertson

I'm fascinated by the story of Gerry Cotten and his company Quadriga.  Cotten was a young Canadian guy who got in early on Bitcoin and created what would become the largest bitcoin exchange in Canada.  Just as his business was taking off he met the author, Jennifer Robertson.  They enjoyed the life of the "rich and famous".  They bought a yacht, an island, a plane, went on exotic trips.  After living together for a couple of years they got married.  They went to India for part of their honeymoon.  And there Gerry Cotten died suddenly.

And it turned out his company was really a one man show.  Millions of dollars of bitcoin deposited with his company was protected by passwords that only Cotten knew.  Which meant that people who had their bitcoin deposited with the company couldn't access it.  In some cases, it was people's life savings that were in limbo.  Then it turned out that Cotten had been allegedly misusing company money for his own personal purposes.  Not surprisingly, people got very, very angry.  Since Cotten was dead, one of the people they turned on was Jennifer Robertson, his widow.

And so, to tell her side of the story, she wrote this book.  Well worth reading if you've followed the story of Gerry Cotten. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

I reread The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien. Love this book. It's one of the best books I've read and I want to write essay about this book. Hope with a little help of WritingCheap service I'll finish it in the near future and at high level. Useful tool for grammar check and proofreading. I think such services are great option for students.

Edited by luckyjack
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it's a must read for LOTR and Hobbit fans. Ties the whole thing together....

Read that book when I was 11 years old.

Was reading and re- reading the Bible at the same time, catholic school education.

Great book, Feanor was one wicked character.

Tolkien was a devout Catholic.

That shines through the book as his creation, end of life tale.

10 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Tried to read it in High School. Got lost in it and gave up. Maybe I'll give it another crack one day.

You should it is the " best" book that Tolkien wrote IMO.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

You should it is the " best" book that Tolkien wrote IMO.

From what I remember it was one of his family members that put it together from left over material after Tolkien died?

I thought it was disjointed, I think I got lost in all the names, places and how they connect/relate to each other. Maybe I will give it another crack one day down the road now that i have developed some patience in my old age. 

....just googled it. From wiki....The Silmarillion (Quenya: [silmaˈrilliɔn]) is a collection of mythopoeic stories by the English writer J. R. R. Tolkien, edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977 with assistance from the fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

From what I remember it was one of his family members that put it together from left over material after Tolkien died?

I thought it was disjointed, I think I got lost in all the names, places and how they connect/relate to each other. Maybe I will give it another crack one day down the road now that i have developed some patience in my old age. 

....just googled it. From wiki....The Silmarillion (Quenya: [silmaˈrilliɔn]) is a collection of mythopoeic stories by the English writer J. R. R. Tolkien, edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977 with assistance from the fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay.

Must have been 13 then.

I thought it was the year I went to England with my folks.

As I have stated before my memory is getting faulty due to the concussions I have suffered.

I do remember having reading his previous books and being excited when that book was published and asking my folks to get it for me. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

BTW: Speaking of Guy Gavriel Kay, he's a Canadian Fantasy writer, who's work I highly recommend.I've read everything he's done and he's never disappointed me.

Start with the Fionavar Tapestry (The Summer Tree; The Wandering Fire & The Darkest Road) and go from there. https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/guy-gavriel-kay/

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW: Speaking of Guy Gavriel Kay, he's a Canadian Fantasy writer, who's work I highly recommend.I've read everything he's done and he's never disappointed me.

Start with the Fionavar Tapestry (The Summer Tree; The Wandering Fire & The Darkest Road) and go from there. https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/guy-gavriel-kay/

Have you read the Malazan series by Canadian Author Steven Player Name ?

I am slowly collecting the series from my second hand book stores, have seven of the ten books.

Edit 

Can't even print an author's name with that players same surname 

Edited by Ilunga

Just now, Ilunga said:

Have you read the Malazan series by Canadian Author Steven Player Name ?

I am slowly collecting the series from my second hand book stores, have seven of the ten books.

I haven't, but Erikson is an author I've been meaning try for quite some time....

Right now, I'm in the middle of Lightbringer and I've got the Gentlemen Bastards trilogy on deck.....so many books to read.....:)

EDIT: BTW, what's up with the Steven "Player Name"? :lol:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I haven't, but Erikson is an author I've been meaning try for quite some time....

Right now, I'm in the middle of Lightbringer and I've got the Gentlemen Bastards trilogy on deck.....so many books to read.....:)

I actually generally enjoy Esslemont’s books in the series more. Some of the Malazan books are amazing. Great characters. Man can be tough to read in spots though. Erikson’s books, much like GRRM, really need a little more aggressive editor. He overindulges a lot at times. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I spelt his name wrong, then thought the site would correct anything Erik son 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I actually generally enjoy Esslemont’s books in the series more. Some of the Malazan books are amazing. Great characters. Man can be tough to read in spots though. Erikson’s books, much like GRRM, really need a little more aggressive editor. He overindulges a lot at times. 

Each book is massive, better part of a 1000 pages.