The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Earth Hour...did you partake?

CanadianLoonie

Of course people miss the point of Earth Hour as usual. It's not about "shutting the lights off" for 1 hour, it's about spreading awareness to be more friendly to the environment. The pictures of the cities before and after are a powerful visual reminder that we all live on one planet and need to conserve it for as long as we possibly can by each doing our part to help. 1 action to help even if it's for only an hour is more then what would've happened otherwise and can lead people to do more. I know a few of my friends who do it once a week to get together with family away from the technology that is so intertwined with our lives. They never would've done that if not for Earth Hour. It's not about 1 hour of power saving, it's about a lifetime of actions to protect the planet and this is the biggest event to spread enivronmental awareness in the world.

Costa Rica is running without having to burn a single fossil fuel, and it’s been doing so for 75 straight days.

Thanks to some heavy rainfall this year, Costa Rica’s hydropower plants alone are generating nearly enough electricity to power the entire country. With a boost from geothermal, solar, and wind energy sources, the country doesn’t need an ounce of coal or petroleum to keep the lights on.

http://qz.com/367985/costa-rica-is-now-running-completely-on-renewable-energy/

In Costa Rica, a drought would seriously disrupt the country’s ability to generate electricity with water. That’s probably why its government approved a $958 million geothermal project. While that’s being funded largely by Japan and the European Investment Bank, Costa Rica has already been able to spend so much on renewable energy because it doesn’t need to spend anything on defense.

Brilliant...get foolish taxpayers from Japan and Europe to fund the things you want instead your own citizens!

Meanwhile, I may have a use for that electricity so it won't go to waste...

I would have if I'd known it was today.

You don't have to do it only on Earth Hour. The whole reason that started was because it was a small thing people can do to help the environment and to bring awareness. You're not supposed to shut your lights off for an hour one time a year and feel like you've done your part. It's a year round endeavour to continuously better your environmental impact. I started doing Earth Hour a few years ago and it got me thinking of what I could do to help. I now have implemented a comprehensive recycling program at work, all of my shampoos, cleaners and soaps are environmentally friendly and I'm transitioning into eating organic foods. I probably wouldn't have started this without Earth Hour, so it did it's job for at least one person and I'm sure it's done so for many more too. I do agree their marketing muscle behind it is pretty bad though.

Archived