The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks deserve a fan base like the Seahawks

fanfor42

Canuck fans need to realize this team simply isn't as good as we used to be. The Hawks would've destroyed us tonight if not for Eddie. We're not top tier. We're in a playoff position, and I couldn't be more thrilled, but I still don't expect this team to go far. Lets face it, we're an average team. But I'm okay with this though. Benning and Linden both know this team can't win now. We're building for a brighter future

It's because most Vancouverites are unintelligent bandwagoners. They attend games because they can afford to and its the 'in' thing to do. Once we go into full rebuild mode there we'll be wishing we had the bitching and the critics.

When you have a small market team filled with a group of hardcore fans who can consistenty attend, you'll get best atmosphere.

If tickets were more affordable I'm sure you'd see a drastic culture change in the crowds attending games.

We need fans like the Jets have. Those are passionate fans who support their team even in slumps. Not stupid bandwagoners who jump ship after every loss, then jump on again after every win.

Win us one championship and you'll have the whole city wearing blue and green. It was weird, 2011 felt pretty magical, and the whole city was cheering the team on. And then came 2012, and it seemed like nobody even knew it was playoff time, even though we won the presidents trophy

We need fans like the Jets have. Those are passionate fans who support their team even in slumps. Not stupid bandwagoners who jump ship after every loss, then jump on again after every win.

Winnipeg had the WHA Jets from 1972 to 1979 (pretty awesome hockey, with Bobby Hull, Ulf Nillson, Anders Hedberg, Lars-Erik Sjoeberg, Kent Nillson, Morris Lukowich, Terry Ruskowski, etc.)...then it had the NHL Jets from 1979 to 1996 (dark days to start, followed by some awesome hockey with Hawerchuk, Babych, Housley, Selanne, Tkachuk, etc.), during which time they couldn't sell out the Winnipeg Arena if their lives depended on it (average: about 13,500, reaching lows of 12,500)...then it lost its team to Phoenix.

Then it got a team back 2011. This team can crap the bed and the fans would be still coming out in droves because of its special circumstance (pretty easy to figure what that is). Give this team another couple years of missing the playoffs and you'll see some Winnipeg fans abandoning the cause.

I was down in Seattle two weeks ago for a couple of days and I was moved by the amount of pride in all the sports teams, including the departed SuperSonics. Of course, the Seahawks are Seattle's top dog like the Canucks are here.

The reason for all that home team pride in the Emerald City, in my opinion, is Seattlites are true blue Seattlites, whether born-and-raised or permanently transplanted.

One of Vancouver's biggest downfalls is that the city has become far too transient. There are far more transients and tourists than ever before and many born-and-raised Vancouverites can no longer afford to live here. It makes Vancouver far more difficult to not only meet people but more importantly, connect with people to form lasting friendships. And this affects our civic pride which plays a huge part in following sports teams like the Canucks.

You walk around Seattle when the 'Hawks are playing and almost everyone, including cab drivers, know there's a game going on. Here in Vancouver, when the Canucks are playing, I get asked constantly while when wearing my respective team jersey, "Hey, is there a hockey game going on?" "Canucks playing tonight??" "Was there a Canucks/Whitecaps game this evening?" Very frustrating, to say the least.

Poorly worded. I meant to imply that hockey is more of a cheap form of entertainment rather than a lifestyle like many of us.

First of all, you're saying that its a cheap form of entertainment? I don't know about you but the last time I went to a Canucks game after all was said and done it cost me like 300 bucks.

Second, hockey is entertainment. I know a lot of people don't like to hear that, but it is. I love the Canucks as much as the rest of you, but following a sports team is just another way to pass the time. Its really no different than movies, music, tv, games or any other form of recreation you partake in.

Third, you still said quite clearly that most "Vancouverites are unintelligent bandwagoners". That's not true at all, and if you think it is you must not know very much at all about other NHL cities.

Right OP.

It's the fans fault.

Just like it's been the refs fault or the league's fault every time this team loses.

Just like it was the Kings fans or the Blackhawk fans that willed their respective teams to recent Cups. And here I thought that Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Doughty, Williams, and Quick among others had something to do with those Cups.

And btw, funny how those beloved Hawks fans you're fawning over couldn't will their team to a Lombardi Trophy for 40 years until they had players like Wilson, Sherman and Lynch and a decent coach for once.

Point is, yes we have a fickle fan base, but it's not much different than any other Canadian market or US hockey hot-bed. Empty seats at the Rogers Arena are more a factor of the stupid high ticket prices and fan burnout after years of emotional investment in the team ended with the Torts fiasco. More than anything, I put more blame for any public negativity on our local media, who are for the most part a bunch of hacks who thrive on searching for negative stories, rather than intelligent sports journalists.

But to suggest the Canucks "deserve" a different fan base is ridiculous. This team has amazing support throughout the province. And if the Canucks are going to win a championship, it'll be because Trev and JB have rebuilt the team with good young talent and sound drafting rather than because of the fan base.

The fan base deserves it...not the other way around.

I was down in Seattle two weeks ago for a couple of days and I was moved by the amount of pride in all the sports teams, including the departed SuperSonics. Of course, the Seahawks are Seattle's top dog like the Canucks are here.

The reason for all that home team pride in the Emerald City, in my opinion, is Seattlites are true blue Seattlites, whether born-and-raised or permanently transplanted.

One of Vancouver's biggest downfalls is that the city has become far too transient. There are far more transients and tourists than ever before and many born-and-raised Vancouverites can no longer afford to live here. It makes Vancouver far more difficult to not only meet people but more importantly, connect with people to form lasting friendships. And this affects our civic pride which plays a huge part in following sports teams like the Canucks.

You walk around Seattle when the 'Hawks are playing and almost everyone, including cab drivers, know there's a game going on. Here in Vancouver, when the Canucks are playing, I get asked constantly while when wearing my respective team jersey, "Hey, is there a hockey game going on?" "Canucks playing tonight??" "Was there a Canucks/Whitecaps game this evening?" Very frustrating, to say the least.

It's the culture of sport in general that's revered in the US that's cool to see.

You ain't seen anything until you've seen the Texas High School football championships being played in front of 80,000 fans.

It's just not part of the Canadian psyche.

First off I think the fanbase is fine. Come down to Socal and see what the hockey market is like even after two(2) seperate teams within 30 miles of each other have won the cup(more than once I might add). At least the Canucks are in the news, the logo is plastered all over the city, and you can go to pretty much any bar/restaurant and watch the game. Nope down here it's all basketball and football. Secondly, I see no problem with the fans being expecting a lot from the team. It's been forty freak'n years and no cup. The fans just want the cup raised by our boys. Could things be better, yeah sure. But it could be a lot worse.

I am a die hard fan of both the Seahawks and the Canucks and have been for a long time. There is no question each fan base is passionate about their team and with all due respect to the Whitecaps, Lions and Giants, I will even offer up the opinion that the Canucks and Seahawks are the top two teams in the BC market. I love the 12's and the whole experience of being at the C-Link is amazing. Certainly NOT overblown. Sure you pay top dollar for your seat but you never actually use it. The fans stand the entire game, do not have to be prompted to make noise and the fans are nuts regardless of the outcome. No question the fans can affect the game as evidenced by the league leading number of oppositon false starts. Even since the Kingdome days, Seahawk fans have been known to be amongst the best and loudest in the NFL despite some pretty tough years. Going to a Hawk game is more like an event and seeing as there are only 8 regular season homes games a year, the build up is much better. In comparison, going to a Canuck game is quite the opposite. It's tough to be nuts for 41 home games. We watch attentively waiting for something to happen, analyzing the game as it's played out and REACT accordingly. We don't initiate anything that truly gives the Canucks a home ice advantage. If anything, the crowds are so tense that playing at home can be at times a disadvantage.

Oh man another "It's the fans fault" thread! When will people drop this stupid idea? So how do teams like Tampa or Anaheim win a cup? 99% of the people in those cities don't know or even care they have a hockey team! Gimme a break with it's the fans fault, it's getting real old and it's an ignorant argument. The on ice product has very little to do with the fans other than they buy enough tickets and memorabilia to pay the players wages. Most fans that go to games cheer, do you really think if we yell a few decibels louder the Sedin's will skate a bit faster or score enough goals in the playoffs to win a cup? Please drop it already!

Oh man another "It's the fans fault" thread! When will people drop this stupid idea? So how do teams like Tampa or Anaheim win a cup? 99% of the people in those cities don't know or even care they have a hockey team! Gimme a break with it's the fans fault, it's getting real old and it's an ignorant argument. The on ice product has very little to do with the fans other than they buy enough tickets and memorabilia to pay the players wages. Most fans that go to games cheer, do you really think if we yell a few decibels louder the Sedin's will skate a bit faster or score enough goals in the playoffs to win a cup? Please drop it already!

I think you missed his point. He's saying that when there is a large amount of negative energy surrounding a team it will affect them. You're right most people in markets like Tampa probably don't know about the Lightning and as a result there will be very little negative energy surrounding the team. I'm not saying I agree; however, if your boss or bosses were constantly negative towards your work, nit picking every thing you do how do you think you'd perform?

I do think its rude when the Canadians and Jets played in Rogers arena their fans were louder than our Canuck fans, I felt ashamed and bad for our guys. Its our arena and our team. We need to silence them, its our building!

Win or lose I love the Canucks because they are skilled and an intelligent team, however we need to remeber they are human and cannot win every game.

This evening despite the loss, it was still enjoyable to watch the Canucks & Black Hawks play because the Black Hawks are along the same level as the Canucks. Unlike most teams with the usual thugs that just keep hitting, tripping, boarding , thats not talent that is wrestling on skates.

GO CANUCKS GO I BELIEVE!!

I'm a diehard Seahawks fan, so don't take this as me ragging on them. But the Seahawks fanbase is overblown. Its the fashionable thing in Seattle to cheer for their team, action green is the "in" colour right now. Half of these "die hard" fans have no idea who Steve Largent or Walter Jones is.

I get really tired of hearing how awful the Canucks fanbase is. Go cheer for another team.

That just proves how little of a Hawks fan you are. Sure the Hawks are "in"

But that doesn't explain 11yrs straight of sellouts. The 12th man has been around for 20+ years and Sea has been a fantastic NFL market for decades. It makes the Canucks fan base look like chumps, in vogue or not.

Archived