The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toxic fuel spill clean-up underway in Vancouver's English Bay

Heretic

That's the thing, with current technology, it's very difficult to harvest wind and solar energy. Turbines are inefficient and unreliable. Solar panels are expensive and require a very environmentally unfriendly production process:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2014/11/141111-solar-panel-manufacturing-sustainability-ranking/

On top of that, you can carry a combustion engine in a car. You cannot carry a wind turbine with you. So that creates the issues of battery storage and electric infrastructure to actually use the energy from these alternative sources.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't make every effort to wean ourselves off fossil fuels. Hoewever, as it stands now fossil fuels are very convenient. It's also a myth that governments are inhibiting pursuit of these alternative fuel sources. Like I said before, governments tax the crap out of fossil fuels and spend huge amounts of money subsidizing, currently economically unviable, "green" sources of energy.

Convenient, absolutely. Efficient, no.

You would think if the feds want to sell the pipelines to us they would have a better response than this. It's absolutely stupid that they shut down the Kits and Rmd coast guard facilities.

The amount of time it took from the guy reporting to the coast guard, to them actually going out, to them notifying the city etc...... horrible , horrible response.

You would think if the feds want to sell the pipelines to us they would have a better response than this. It's absolutely stupid that they shut down the Kits and Rmd coast guard facilities.

The amount of time it took from the guy reporting to the coast guard, to them actually going out, to them notifying the city etc...... horrible , horrible response.

Things like this don't help there cause.

But when the port of Vancouver doesn't tell anybody for thirteen hours that's the real problem.

Yeah, I don't buy it. It's 2015. The technology exists or a variation of or something closer, the market is just so heavily tilted towards oil is a totally uneven playing field. They aren't stopping alternative sources, but they exert so much influence that they have that effect.

The lack of political capital.

People don't want hydro dams as they affect the wildlife. Windmills requires lots of rare earth metal which are costly and usually not from the most environmentally friendly locales. Solar.... sure, not very efficient and not suitable in all locations. Nobody wants to touch anything nuclear (joke?)

It's just kinda depressing how the average person wants change as an ideal, but not in actual practicality.

People don't want hydro dams as they affect the wildlife. Windmills requires lots of rare earth metal which are costly and usually not from the most environmentally friendly locales. Solar.... sure, not very efficient and not suitable in all locations. Nobody wants to touch anything nuclear (joke?)

It's just kinda depressing how the average person wants change as an ideal, but not in actual practicality.

Geothermal is the best option in Vancouver but that still requires Hydraulic fracturing

Solar and wind energy is pretty big in southern alberta

How about instead of shipping oil around. We grow our own?

What makes me laugh is Christy Clark says that BC should take over for spill response. Clarks government over the past decade has been cutting budgets in the environment ministry. Worse yet, she's been changing the environmental legislation to make it easier for companies to pollute, and not fine or punish those companies. That's like letting a fox guard the henhouse.

I'd agree with this...I think nuclear is actually a pretty solid option. Just don't build the plants on earthquake faults or let corrupt and inept eastern european governments build them.

I'd agree with this...I think nuclear is actually a pretty solid option. Just don't build the plants on earthquake faults or let corrupt and inept eastern european governments build them.

Build them on the Mooooooon.

Ain't nothin' living on that desolate rock anyhow

Things like this don't help there cause.

But when the port of Vancouver doesn't tell anybody for thirteen hours that's the real problem.

I kept badgering Port Metro on twitter for not using the words "Oil Spill" in their statements.

They used any & every alternate wording for it.

Obviously, they were paid off by the government or the private company to avoid those very large trigger words.

There has been a glaring amount of incompetence at every level of government over this.

This situation, and this alone should be all that's needed to stop Kinder Morgan from ever coming back in to Canada to work on the pipeline....but, as long as Harper & Clark are in power, this wont deter them.

So guys, any word on whether or not we have found the owner (edit captain/crew) of the ship and held the greek responsible? Or are we still blaming the authorities, brainwashed by the media.

Unfortunately maritime law is a joke most of these guys will jump ship if they get a chance or you will never see them again

How about instead of shipping oil around. We grow our own?

What makes me laugh is Christy Clark says that BC should take over for spill response. Clarks government over the past decade has been cutting budgets in the environment ministry. Worse yet, she's been changing the environmental legislation to make it easier for companies to pollute, and not fine or punish those companies. That's like letting a fox guard the henhouse.

We saw first hand how quickly the Clark gov't reacted to the Poly Mine spill.

Archived