The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Superstition

TyrEnkidu

So as pathetic and ridiculous as this may sound , do you believe in hockey superstitions ? AND do you think a person could be a literal jinx ? ...yes,yes,yes I know exactly how that sounds (whack job) ...It seemed every time I tuned into a Canucks game this season the team they were playing would immediately score ??..for those of you that think I am joking should know this happened between 52 and 57 time's this season ( I didnt start a count till I realized a correlation)...and while that particular goal may not have played a part in the eventual outcome of the game the number of red X's on my Canucks game calender became alarmingly frequent...now deep inside I firmly believe that we as humans and the teams we cheer for make their own luck , you cant fault me for starting to feel a little bit uneasy......I have loved this team since 1970 and I have shed both blood and tears as a result........I in my heart of hearts know that this is simply foolish ...but it has made me realize that of all the worlds major sports , Hockey is probably the most superstitious of them all............The point of this post is curiosity ....do others feel as I do....?....in 81 I wore a King Richard jersey right through the finals...in 94 I wore a Mclean jersey right through the final...and in 2011 not only did I wear a Luongo jersey but I also pasted the logo's of the teams we beat on my truck just like fighter aces decorated their planes...I follow all sports but I have never had the same feelings that I have for The Canucks and by default Hockey........I would be very interested to know what other hard core fans do or not do...and hopefuly I am not alone in the psych ward ......Thanks for taking the time to read

Thanks for taking the time to read? Yeah, screw you. A wall of text consisting of one looonggg sentence with zero punctuation.

What irritates me the most is people here who get angry when others say "shutout". It's fun banter when John and John go at it, since it's TV. And I love the excuses for growing facial hair and lucky underwear and stuff like that. All of that's good. But long story short, no. We're talking about fan superstition here, which is complete garbage, and the people who take it seriously are also complete garbage. Those people only care about themselves and not the team. It means you have no faith in your team, since you think they'll lose if you say some taboo word or do something wrong.

In previous years, it seemed that every time I went to a Canucks game, they won, every time I watched one on TV they lost, and whenever I didn't watch them they won. The only win the Canucks had against LA in 2012, I didn't watch and I watched all the other playoff games.

This year though...they win almost every time I watch them play.

Thanks for taking the time to read? Yeah, screw you. A wall of text consisting of one looonggg sentence with zero punctuation.

What irritates me the most is people here who get angry when others say "shutout". It's fun banter when John and John go at it, since it's TV. And I love the excuses for growing facial hair and lucky underwear and stuff like that. All of that's good. But long story short, no. We're talking about fan superstition here, which is complete garbage, and the people who take it seriously are also complete garbage. Those people only care about themselves and not the team. It means you have no faith in your team, since you think they'll lose if you say some taboo word or do something wrong.

....Have you been an ignoramus all your life or just since you became a teenager ?........" I ams sures you have teaching degree cause of all you know about punctuation" .........people like you are a waste of skin....notice the other replies .....yeah screw you loser......at least others understood my tongue firmly placed in cheek......maybe when you grow up you might be ok.....although I have my doubts

I dunno if I believe your story with the Xs and all.. odds of that happening gotta be like 1 in 100,000 or something ;)

Trust me its actually kind of funny ....I started watching last nights game and its 2-0 Edmonton ...I put the game on the computer and switch the TV over to Vikings and next time I look back its 2-1.....yaaa......next thing I know its 4-2 and then 5-3.....I was seriously considering watching Scooby Doo with the kids....and as you know they had no issues after that.....I just find it funny that every culture has their various superstitions but when it comes to sports and hockey in particular , Superstitions seem to be extremely common.......

....Have you been an ignoramus all your life or just since you became a teenager ?........" I ams sures you have teaching degree cause of all you know about punctuation" .........people like you are a waste of skin....notice the other replies .....yeah screw you loser......at least others understood my tongue firmly placed in cheek......maybe when you grow up you might be ok.....although I have my doubts

at least u aren't defensive.

I think the goofy one is when they try to jinx the other teams shutout...

Anyways, no one here that I can tell really gets upset that someone says it, they jst find the trolls looking for a reaction saying it annoying.

As far as anything else? Everyone stop what you are doing and do something else because it hasn;t helped us win a cup yet...

Haha, I kinda had one during the '11 Cup run, anytime my little guy DID NOT wear his Canucks onesie at puck drop they lost, every single time....until they lost while he was wearing it during Game 3 against the Bruins...

But I was never truly superstitious, it was just fun while it lasted.

Archived